Definition of sprung parts in F1 regulation ? help !

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
firasf1dream
firasf1dream

Definition of sprung parts in F1 regulation ? help !

hello guys,
hope you all having a good day
i would like please to ask u : in the regulation i see a lot the the words Sprung Parts, i tried to search for the exact definition in the F1 world, but couldn't get a clear answer :cry:
what does it mean exactly ?

here is an example from the regulations article 3.12.1:
With the skid block referred to in Article 3.13 removed all sprung parts of the car situated from
330mm behind the front wheel centre line to the rear wheel centre line, and which are visible
from underneath, must form surfaces which lie on one of two parallel planes, the reference
plane or the step plane.

thanks a lot in advance :)

bhall II
bhall II

Re: Definition of sprung parts in F1 regulation ? help !

I guess one way to define it would be to say that "sprung" parts of the car are the components suspended directly from the car's springs, i.e. everything within the chassis and the PU. "Unsprung" components are directly suspended from its tires, e.g. wheels, wheel hubs, wishbones, push/pull rods, brake discs/pads/calipers/ducts, etc.

firasf1dream
firasf1dream

bhall II wrote:I guess one way to define it would be to say that "sprung" parts of the car are the components suspended directly from the car's springs, i.e. everything within the chassis and the PU. "Unsprung" components are directly suspended from its tires, e.g. wheels, wheel hubs, wishbones, push/pull rods, brake discs/pads/calipers/ducts, etc.
yes but not here :S it's not taking about the suspensions :?

bhall II
bhall II

Yeah, I know. Any reference to "sprung" components is a reference to components that either are, or will be, suspended directly from the springs.

Basically, it's referring to the components that make up the chassis itself.

Top: unsprung
Bottom: sprung

firasf1dream
firasf1dream

aha and what are the sprung parts on the floor behind the cockpit ?