VW Enters.................

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Sombrero
Sombrero

Re: VW Enters.................

I don't think that the VW-Porsche group is likely to enter a fast declining F-1 Word Championship. Formula E, WEC and WRC are more attractive than F-1 in the years to come if you want to race and test new technologies.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

What new technologies is WRC promoting? WRC has clamped down and banned most of the interesting work that was going on in the early 2000s.

wesley123
wesley123

Well, they can race an actual car they sell to the people in WRC.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

SiLo

And how many people watch WRC compared to F1?

In fact how many watch WEC and WRC combined compared to F1?
Felipe Baby!

wesley123
wesley123

Many more people watch F1.

And then what, VW wins the F1 WCC with their car. and then what? A dedicated team of engineers that was hired by Volkswagen AG did the best job in a set ruleset. So what, how does that apply to the car you buy in one of the many VW showrooms?

However, the diesel in the R18 does somewhat relate to their road cars, and so does Quattro. It gives a thing to brag about, the car that you buy has similar tech as the car that ran 24hrs non-stop and won.
Not only that, but it also is a thing to differentiate. How many other manufacturers won the 24hrs with a diesel? How many of them did so with Quattro tech? In F1, you are just another one of them. Oh, you won the WCC with your 1.6l V6 Turbo? Well big whoop, so did Mercedes.

with WRC it's another piece of cake. The Polo you buy in the showroom is the same(except not really) as the Polo that won Rallies all across the world in very rough and varying environments. It's a comforting thing to know that the car you buy is capable of dealing with the cold of the alps, or the heat of Greece.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

FW17

So in how many countries are Diesels popular? The car costs more, the fuel costs more and the difference in mileage does not justify the additional costs in its lifetime.

What does Quattro do for you on a city roads and freeways?

So when are city folks driving their polo joining the WRC?

Facts Only
Facts Only

If your target audience aren't watching then it doesn't matter how road relevant it is. The only people I know who watch WEC or WRC are the guys I know who work in WEC and WRC and a couple of hardcore car nerds who would never buy a new production car.
On the other hand nearly everyone I know, knows that Lewis Hamilton in his 'Mercedes' are dominating F1 so they must be good cars in there minds.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

& VW/Audi group subsidiary Ducati - have finally won a WSBK race with their newfangled Panigale..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

FW17

VW enters as Lamborghini and then changes to Audi once they are at the door step of success.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Sombrero wrote:I don't think that the VW-Porsche group is likely to enter a fast declining F-1 Word Championship. Formula E, WEC and WRC are more attractive than F-1 in the years to come if you want to race and test new technologies.
More importantly than the attractiveness of F1, for the cost of a season running at the front end of F1, you would have change from Audi's WEC budget, FE budget & DTM budget.

That's an awfully small amount of bang for your buck.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

VW power struggle, Piech steps down, RedBull in a fuss with Renault, Renault wants more exposure and is seeking out to 'buy' Toro Rosso.....

Keeping in mind the certain facts:

To become World Champion [either driver or as a constructor], you need to be the 'Works' unit.

Current works units in F1 :

Scuderia Ferrari
AMG Mercedes
Mclaren Honda

RedBull is not a works Renault team at this point. Clear as day. Neither is Toro Rosso [yet].
Lotus was, but was kinda left out last year and now after switching to Merc power obviously isn't.

I have a hunch Redbull will never become a Renault works team. They weren't when they did 4 championships in a row,
so why would they if they are publicly in a bad relationship with Renault?

Renault has stated they're interested in Toro Rosso. That would mean there's a possibility Toro Rosso will become a
Red-Bull sponsored [ala Sauber in the past] Renault Works team.

that would bring this:

Scuderia Ferrari
AMG Mercedes
Mclaren Honda
Toro Rosso Renault

that would leave RedBull as a customer team, and like the rest of the customer teams, you can kiss that WDC and WCC goodbye:

Williams - Mercedes
Lotus - Mercedes
Force India - Mercedes
Manor - Ferrari
Sauber - Ferrari
Red Bull - Renault

RedBull doesn't like being 'treated 2nd range', and are clearly annoyed. The relationship has cooled off. Renault doesn't seem to show much interest in RedBull. I feel like they're in a better relationship with Toro Rosso than RedBull.

VAG opening up to F1 is a big possibility and I really could see it happen with RedBull.

Sponsorship's aplenty, and a hungry VW/Audi/Whatever to engage into F1. The idea to beat rival Mercedes, and even Ferrari from the throne to become F1 WCC is pure win for VW group.

I don't see Lamborghini in F1. There's no use there, but VW, Audi and Porsche very well could. Porsche might bee too focused and occupied with WEC and LeMans, so it's either VW or Audi into F1.

I Really could see Volkswagen-Audi RedBull Racing Team. Audi on the Rear Wing, the big VW logo on the nose and Sidepods.
They could even include SEAT.

It would be exciting, honestly, and with the 2017 rule revisals I could really see it happen.

Imagine that 2017 season:

Works Teams:

Scuderia Ferrari [Vettel & Hamilton]
AMG Mercedes [Alonso & Bottas]
Mclaren Honda [Rosberg & Button]
RedBull Audi/VW [Verstappen & Ricciardo]
Total Renault F1 [Ocon & Sainz] (Formerly Toro Rosso)

Customer Teams:

Williams Mercedes [Massa & Lynn]
Prodrive Aston Martin Mercedes [Palmer & Maldonado] (Formerly Lotus)
Sahara Honda [Perez & Magnussen]
Sauber Ferrari [Nasr & Ericsson]
Manor Ferrari [Mehri & Marciello]
Haas Ferrari [Rossi & Guiterrez]

As a driver, i can see it happening really easy: RedBull's new number 1 protogé with a lot of potential:
Max Verstappen, a RedBull contracted driver whom had magnificent results with Volkswagen Formula cars,
paired with Daniel Ricciardo.

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

FW17

The idea of Audi Red Bull is that it is a clash of 2 mega brands for identity. There is always going to be one or the other claiming the glory in an unjustifiable manor and it could end up just as Renault.

I think if Audi does come in it will be on their own.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

WilliamsF1 wrote:The idea of Audi Red Bull is that it is a clash of 2 mega brands for identity. There is always going to be one or the other claiming the glory in an unjustifiable manor and it could end up just as Renault.

I think if Audi does come in it will be on their own.
They're not having these problems in other competitions, like f.e. DTM.

Given, F1 is far more prestigeous, but, Renault never had problems with RedBull when they were winning the WCC's. It was reported - whether this is factually true is uncertain though - that Renault did not particularly enjoy RedBull promoting Infiniti in such manner that it kinda 'overshadowed' Renault.
Meanwhile, the relationship between Renault and Redbull cooled off due to Renault's incompetent engine of now. It did not get a great start last year but this year is just horrible. Not to forget there has been some 'reliability' issues with the old V8 [ i believe it was the Dynamo/Alternator] which, despite Renault not manufacturing these specifically, was indirectly aimed at Renault because they are the 'power' supplier.

I don't see Audi clashing with RedBull to be honest. Why would they?

Otherwise, they could 'buy' the seemingly struggeling Force India team and turn it into Volkswagen-Audi F1 Team.
Perhaps a german Hulkenberg would be beneficial to them. Who knows.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

FoxHound

VW as a group will have noticed what Red bull had to say about Renault.

Not just what they said, but how they said it. Public denigration of this sort does not only burn built bridges, but spreads to future ones too.
JET set

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

Facts Only wrote:If your target audience aren't watching then it doesn't matter how road relevant it is.
That is absolutely not true. Think about all the promotional material they use from participating - print ads, TV ads, merch/gear, VIDEO GAMES - I'm willing to bet more people drive WEC/WRC cars in video games than there are people who watch the races on TV. It's an overall branding strategy WAY more complicated than direct viewing.