"Crashtor?" Madonado worst diver ever?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
BanMeToo

Re: "Crashtor?" Madonado worst diver ever?

SectorOne wrote:
Nathanael F1 wrote:There's something about him that I like, though - his driving is fairly fun to watch. But there's also this side of him that I find funny: http://wtf1.co.uk/maldonado-bahrain-fail/
I wonder why they never flashed yellows for that? As someone said in the comments, Schumacher did the same thing in Hungary 2012 and they flashed yellows so everyone went around the track again.
That's a good point. Maybe Charlie et al didn't notice until it was too late?

pob

Green flag man at the back shouldn't have waved. Even so, it seemed like Charlie considered an abort as the lights took much longer than normal to come on. Maybe because it only affected a Manor car he didn't care :evil:

SectorOne

Yea good point, even Sky picked up that it took longer then normal to get the cars going.
Gotta love it, it´s like the rulebook only applies when he feels like it.

in 2012 the green flag man started waving but seemed to get a message halfway to stop. Immediately after that they flash yellows.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Jonnycraig

skoop wrote:what's the story of pastor hitting a marshal? it's the first time i'm hearing of this
In a 2005 WSR race in Monaco, he failed to slow sufficiently for double waved yellow and hit a marshal, breaking the guys back and was banned from Monaco for life as a result.

Bild claimed at the time that his very rich dad had managed to get the ban reduced to 9 races by promising to pay for the marshals treatment & rehab.

If the ban hadn't been overturned, obviously it's highly unlikely he wouldve ever made it to F1.

FW17

Jonnycraig wrote:
skoop wrote:what's the story of pastor hitting a marshal? it's the first time i'm hearing of this
In a 2005 WSR race in Monaco, he failed to slow sufficiently for double waved yellow and hit a marshal, breaking the guys back and was banned from Monaco for life as a result.

Bild claimed at the time that his very rich dad had managed to get the ban reduced to 9 races by promising to pay for the marshals treatment & rehab.

If the ban hadn't been overturned, obviously it's highly unlikely he wouldve ever made it to F1.

There was no ban, it was wrongly reported by Autosport
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1326

Phil

You guys wouldn't believe it... I actually had a very strange dream last night, of... yup, you guessed it, Maldonado.

But wait, it gets better.

I dreamt, he won a race. In the Manor-Marussia. Yup.

Don't ask how. He just did. And being Maldonado, in spectacular fashion too. Without injuring anyone. It was something like a 'do or die' attempt, as he started from somewhere down the grid and muscled his way through traffic. In the corners, he was literally riding on two wheels. Everyone was in awe, expecting to see him go off in a blaze of fire any second, as surely, there's no way he was ever going to make it to the end of it, much less survive even 1 lap the way he was 'on it'. No fricking way.

But he did. Somehow. And as he crossed the line, on 3 wheels, the car smoking, sparks flying, debris everywhere like in a warzone... He was on fire. And no one was applauding, because the whole thing was just surreal... :wtf: But he did it, and as he got out from what was just scraps of the remains of what was once a F1 car... he simply shrugged as if it was the most normal thing ever and pointed to his... ehm, balls.. :lol:

"To find the limit, you need to cross the limit. I think I have the big balls to cross the limit every time."

Funny thing is; somehow that dream has a bit of truth to it. He may crash 99 times out of 100, but on that 1 time, 1 off chance when all the stars align, I could really see him pull something like that off. Perhaps not literally, but if there is one driver out there that time and time again attempts to try the impossible, it's Maldonado. And until then... he'll just keep trying. :mrgreen:

Love him for it. :oops: =D>

On a different related note; it never fails to amaze me what utter crazy things you can dream, yet while in the state of dreaming, the sense of realness is as if it was actually happening and real. Only to then wake-up and to feel kind of silly of thinking how something that crazy could ever feel real, dream or not. And no, I didn't smoke anything hallucinogenic. :D :oops:
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

skoop

Jonnycraig & WilliamsF1: thank you very much for clearing that up for me :)

R_Redding

WilliamsF1 wrote:There was no ban, it was wrongly reported by Autosport
You do realise that the link you quote contradicts you .. :D

Rob

FW17

R_Redding wrote:

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac18 ... nu4xni.jpg

Rob

I read that part, but in one what is the point of it. In the beginning it was written that the marshal broke a back, not a leg / ankle, Ok something happened.

But the point is why everyone is jumping on the issue that his rich dad bailed him out. So what. Every one of the drivers dad is a rich guy and every one of them is going to defend there kid. How is Pastor's case different?

Does FIA define what is the speed to drive around in a double yellow? I am quiet sure they are still not other than lift off somewhere in that sector.

But, what authority does the Monaco Motorsport have in banning a driver? Is it the same kind as FIA banning Flavio?

Manoah2u

WilliamsF1 wrote:
R_Redding wrote:

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac18 ... nu4xni.jpg

Rob

I read that part, but in one what is the point of it. In the beginning it was written that the marshal broke a back, not a leg / ankle, Ok something happened.

But the point is why everyone is jumping on the issue that his rich dad bailed him out. So what. Every one of the drivers dad is a rich guy and every one of them is going to defend there kid. How is Pastor's case different?

Does FIA define what is the speed to drive around in a double yellow? I am quiet sure they are still not other than lift off somewhere in that sector.

But, what authority does the Monaco Motorsport have in banning a driver? Is it the same kind as FIA banning Flavio?
I think Monaco as a state can simply decide a person is a 'persona non grata' and then it's very simple.

and btw, that supposed marshall, who's to say that member actually really is a monaco marshall? not saying he can't be or that he isn't, but just as easy it can just be a troll.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Racer X

I think we can all accept that he did get banned in Monaco...
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

natehall

Worst Driver Ever: No - He has won a race which shows an amount of skill above all of those pay drivers that havent.

Worthy of his current F1 seat on talent alone: No - There are much better drivers that are in the pipeline and lesser teams than the lotus that should have his seat, hulkenburg/Perez are two prime examples I can think of

PlatinumZealot

acosmichippo wrote:I agree he isn't literally the worst driver ever. But I do think he is highly overrated, mostly due to his fluke 2012 season. In this post, I will examine his F1 career year-by-year. I'll do 2012 last with more detail due to the aforementioned win.

2011 - one 10th place finish, 6 DNF's. Rubens had two 9th place finishes, and 3 DNF's.

2013 - one 10th place finish, 3 DNF's. Bottas had one 8th place finish, and 2 DNF's.

2014 - one 9th place finish, 5 DNF's. Grosjean had two 8th place finishes and 6 DNF's.

2015 - three DNF's and a 15th so far. Grosjean has one DNF, two 7ths, and an 11th.

2012 - Yes, this is the year of his win. But let's all remember, 2012 started out with SEVEN DIFFERENT GP WINNERS due to the new pirelli tire compounds. It was chaos. My contention is Williams lucked into their car working those tires well for that particular track for those conditions. Look at how the car performed the rest of the season - they were lucky to score ANY points in a race, let alone a podium or win. Unfortunately we don't have a good apple-apple comparison for Maldonado's winning race because Bruno Senna screwed up Q1, and was then taken out of the race by Schumacher.

OK, so let's look at the rest of the season - Pastor scored 45 points, compared to Senna's 31. Pretty clear advantage, right? I say no. Pastor's points came from 5 races (1st, 5th, 8th, 8th, 9th). And let's look at that 5th place finish a bit more closely - in that race FIVE drivers ahead of Maldonado DNF'ed (HAM, WEB, GRO, ROS, HUL). Bruno's points are from TEN races - 6th, 7th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and five 10ths. In my opinion, Maldonado's two standout performances in this season (1st and 5th) are both flukes - apart from those, his best finish was 8th. By comparison, Senna regularly scored points on true merit, even higher than 8th place.

In conclusion, I think Pastor has never really shown any great aptitude for F1, even given his miraculous 2012 win. He has never soundly beaten any of his teammates, and has rightfully earned a reputation as a dangerous driver.
His qualifying speed was amazing in 2012 too. If we follow the Kimi sort of reasoning, the 2012 car must have suited Pastor very well.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Andres125sx

When reading thread title I thought "I´ve never considered what´s worst driver ever", but then I realiced about something I watched some seasons back.... Luca Badoer

I´m not sure how good he was before becoming a test driver, but when he replaced Massa that was the most embarrasing driving I´ve ever seen

Now did a quick search and he never was anything special his best results was with Minardi (8th) but lapped 2 or 3 times, it was that era when reliability really was an issue, not like today even when everybody talk about reliability daily but few cars retire....

So when he replaced Massa 10 years after his last race he obviously was not better, but sincerely, I doubt I´ll ever seen such an embarrasing driving

2.5 seconds slower than his team mate in qualifying, and lapped in race when Kimi was 3rd. The second race (Spa09) was even more embarrasing, in qualy he also was the last one, this time only 1.3 seconds behind Kimi, and in race he was not lapped.... but finished the last one 1 minute, 42 seconds behind the driver who won.... and that was his team mate.

Finishing the last one with a car that can win, and actually won, I think is the most embarrasing driving ever #-o

Richard

Andres125sx wrote:Finishing the last one with a car that can win, and actually won, I think is the most embarrasing driving ever #-o
I'd forgotten that, it was embarrassing.