Power vs Torque Questionnaire -RESULTS

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xxChrisxx
xxChrisxx

Re: Power vs Torque Questionnaire -RESULTS

Charlatan wrote:With gearbox, final drive and wheel-radius to consider, you are better off just thinking Power over Speed equals Traction force.
I'm not saying what's more convenient to use, just being a stickler for accuracy

EDIT: Also consider this. What information do you need to know to apply the correct the power figure at a given road speed.
Charlatan wrote:The only thing that your pants can possibly feel is traction force, which has no direct relation to crankshaft torque.
The bolded statement is wrong, sorry. I'm sure you know what you mean and that it's just a poor choice of words.

Charlatan
Charlatan

All you ever need for computing Traction force is applied Power and vehicle Travelling speed, very simple physics really.

Crankshaft torque could be 10 000 Nm, it still doesn't mean anything for the contact patches' traction force without Power.

Stradivarius
Stradivarius

xxChrisxx wrote: EDIT: Also consider this. What information do you need to know to apply the correct the power figure at a given road speed.
I presented all the parameters you need to know a couple of pages back and torque is not one of them. I even presented a simplified example demonstrating that the torque itself does not provide any relevant information, i.e. all relevant information may be found without knowing the torque.

If you disagree, why don't you read the last post on page 9 and tell us what the torque is of the engine in question there, or explain to us what additional performance related information you could have presented if you knew the torque?

xxChrisxx
xxChrisxx

We are also getting away from the only issue I had.
Charlatan wrote:The only thing that your pants can possibly feel is traction force, which has no direct relation to crankshaft torque.
Bolded statement is wrong.

Stradivarius
Stradivarius

xxChrisxx wrote:We are also getting away from the only issue I had.
Bolded statement is wrong.
That depends what you mean by direct relation: The traction force is equal to the crankshaft torque multiplied by the gear exchange ratio divided by the wheel radius, so there is a relation. But since the gear exchange ratio is a variable, one could argue that there is no direct relation, but I doubt any of us are in disagreement regarding this particular issue, except for the choice of words.

By the way, with reference to my post at the end of page 9, I have included a simplified air drag term in the example as well. By assuming 0 acceleration at top speed, the air drag coefficient is found and the term is then given by this coefficient multiplied by the square of the speed. The first to curves do not change, as the engine performance is the same, but the final one changes a lot at higher speeds:

I repeat my claim that from the information given in this example it is not possible to determine the torque (anywhere in the drive train). But yet, it is possible to find out everything about how the car/engine performs. I have yet to see anyone answer my question as to what additional information related to the performance we would learn if we knew the torque. Alternatively, if there is nothing more to learn, it follows logically that the torque isn't a relevant parameter performance-wise.

xxChrisxx
xxChrisxx

Is wrong becuase...
That depends what you mean by direct relation:The traction force is equal to the crankshaft torque multiplied by the gear exchange ratio divided by the wheel radius, so there is a relation. But since the gear exchange ratio is a variable, one could argue that there is no direct relation, but I doubt any of us are in disagreement regarding this particular issue, except for the choice of words.
Told you I was being a pedant :D . Direct relationship is a well defined meaning. And gear ratios aren't variables, they are constants. You can choose different constants, but they are still constant!

Stradivarius
Stradivarius

xxChrisxx wrote:Told you I was being a pedant :D . Direct relationship is a well defined meaning. And gear ratios aren't variables, they are constants. You can choose different constants, but they are still constant!
Ok, let me be a pedant as well. ;) Each gear has a constant ratio and are not variables, but the total gear exchange ratio between the crankshaft and the wheel (which you see from the formula is what I am refering to) is not constant, as long as it is possible to shift gears. So the gear exchange ratio is in fact a variable. A parameter does not need to be continuous in order to be variable.

xxChrisxx
xxChrisxx

Stradivarius wrote:
xxChrisxx wrote:Told you I was being a pedant :D . Direct relationship is a well defined meaning. And gear ratios aren't variables, they are constants. You can choose different constants, but they are still constant!
Ok, let me be a pedant as well. ;) Each gear has a constant ratio and are not variables, but the total gear exchange ratio between the crankshaft and the wheel (which you see from the formula is what I am refering to) is not constant, as long as it is possible to shift gears. So the gear exchange ratio is in fact a variable. A parameter does not need to be continuous in order to be variable.
All this is highlighting two different philosophies of modelling. Top down or bottom up. Both will come up with the same answer and are equally valid.

edit. Bottom up is clearly superior though!! As you don't have black boxes in the model. Guess which I'm a proponent of.

Stradivarius
Stradivarius

xxChrisxx wrote:
Stradivarius wrote:
All this is highlighting two different philosophies of modelling. Top down or bottom up. Both will come up with the same answer and are equally valid.

edit. Bottom up is clearly superior though!! As you don't have black boxes in the model. Guess which I'm a proponent of.
What I am trying to point out is that these black boxes, as you call them, do not say anything about the performance. If they did, it would not be possible to determine the performance without them. So what is superior depends on what you want to do. If you want to evaluate the performance of a car, I would say it is better to remove all irrelevant information, such as torque and color (provided that you have the relevant information, if not, you can't evaluate the performance).

The whole idea of using the normalized curve and look at the ratios between successive gears rather than each gear exchange ratio itself, is to remove redundant and unnecessary information until it is not possible to remove anything more without loosing information about the performance. As it turns out, you can remove information about the torque, but you need to keep information about the power. What you are then left with is a set of a few parameters that uniquely define the performance and if you have this information, you can determine the performance. If you don't have it (either explicitly or implicitly), you can't determine the performance. I also want to point out that if you have this set of information, knowing the torque in addition does not add any more information about performance than knowing the color of the car.

It is, however, easy to imagine a context where knowing the torque is important. The torque is easy to measure, while power is measured indirectly by measuring the torque and the engine speed and multiply the two. So if you are tuning an engine, you don't need to know the power in order to conclude from the torque that you have achieved what you wanted. But this is only true if you are looking at the torque at certain engine speeds and that means the torque determines the power. You may also have situations where torque alone is an interesting parameter. If you are dimensioning the parts of the drive train, you need to make sure they are strong enough to handle the loads and that means you need to know the torque. But that is not related to performance.

Charlatan
Charlatan

There are no different models, natural laws are not some beauty-contest, Power is Force times Speed and that's all there is to it.

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

There is more to it..

If you examine the dyno charts in the linked 'Superbike' test article, you can relate
the effect of a rising torque curve to a lively, exciting ride, whereas a flatter torque line gives a
quite linear power rise with rpm increase, & a dropping torque curve produces a yet more sedate
'tractor' type feel - to the dynamic riding experience..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

machin wrote:
J.A.W. wrote:& if you actually read the linked data.. machin..
..you'd see that the - Kawasaki - generates maximum rear wheel torque of over 52 ft/lb at ~6000rpm..
..rising from over 40 ft/lb - on above 3,500rpm..
Ha ha; note your mistake here; the Kawasaki generates that torque at the engine crank... Not at the driven wheel... The wheel speed is actually much less, and the torque at the wheel Much higher as a result of the gearing effect... Hence the seat of the pants force you feel. WHEN A GEARBOX IS INVOLVED YOU MUST PAY ATTENTION TO RPM (or just simply use Power).

Interestingly Birds have learned to use levers (the simplest form of "gearbox") to exchange the puny force they can generate at their beaks, to a much greater force at the end of a lever, by an identical relation of changes in movement at the two ends of the lever... Makes you wonder, if a bird can grasp the concept...

Ha ha, indeed, the power was measured by the Yamaha dyno ( no Yamaha bike though.. ) at the rear wheel..
& as the article explains the torque is true engine torque whereas the power is that available at the rear wheel..

If you were to put a ratchet socket wrench on the Kawasaki crank when it was spinning at 6,000rpm
& lock the wrench while attempting to stall the engine by exerting your arm strength - what would be the result?

Some birds are fairly intelligent, & Parrots have shown ability to speak/converse/exchange ideas accordingly.

Charlatan
Charlatan

I admit to be a tad mystified over this forum, I keep getting downvotes for explaining natural laws, is that how things work here?

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

It is an odd system.. I have also received many downvotes,& IMO - it doesn't really matter..
( & I didn't down vote you C, that would be unfair, even if you deserve it - since you cannot reciprocate the measure)..

Charlatan
Charlatan

J.A.W. wrote:It is an odd system.. I have also received many downvotes,& IMO - it doesn't really matter..
( & I didn't down vote you C, that would be unfair, even if you deserve it - since you cannot reciprocate the measure)..
Never mind, I'm new here anyway, but you think I deserve a downvote as you do not agree with me, hope I got you right there?

I'm not so certain this is my kind of environment really, there are plenty of forums like this on the web, I was just curious.