IndyCar 2015

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Re: IndyCar 2015

Unless the steel is being needfully utilized - in the skilled hands of a competent surgeon..
..I'd rather neither.. ..& so - all the best for a full recovery..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

SectorOne

sgth0mas wrote:
SectorOne wrote:carbon wishbones next on the agenda?
I would much rather have steel go through my leg than carbon fiber.
I think the reason for a carbon setup is that it would more likely destroy itself in the impact, absorbing energy rather then start piercing limbs like a giant toothpick.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

FW17

Does F1 use a cf wishbone? I thought it was metal with a CF wrapping.

All CF possible?

maybe an intrusion panel as in f1 was not used or to be extended in its use

RicME85

They had issues in 2013 with side impact intrusions and made a hasty modification.
Seems its still not suitable.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

SectorOne wrote:
sgth0mas wrote:
SectorOne wrote:carbon wishbones next on the agenda?
I would much rather have steel go through my leg than carbon fiber.
I think the reason for a carbon setup is that it would more likely destroy itself in the impact, absorbing energy rather then start piercing limbs like a giant toothpick.
The wishbones were strengthened this season to account for the increased downforce with this years bodykits.
WilliamsF1 wrote: maybe an intrusion panel as in f1 was not used or to be extended in its use
The tub is heavily reinforced with zylon to try and prevent cockpit intrusion but there is only so much that can be done within the financial boundaries the series operates. Ultimately with a 125G hit and the almost face on angle of the impact, you're looking at military levels of reinforcement.

As seen in this onboard: https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CFTtDulWMAAifY9.mp4 , the front right suspension had failed as well causing the crash so who knows if the wishbone that intruded had been unseated from its also heavily reinforced mounting point.

cossie
cossie

I hate to say I told ya all so ,but I told you so, that car is a joke. Helio was on the straight going forward when he flipped. Just take a look at that huge floor. .remember Mario also flipped over on the back straight shaking down the old Dallara.guess the new wicker bill they put on the nose didn't work.

hpras
hpras

cossie wrote:I hate to say I told ya all so ,but I told you so, that car is a joke. Helio was on the straight going forward when he flipped. Just take a look at that huge floor. .remember Mario also flipped over on the back straight shaking down the old Dallara.guess the new wicker bill they put on the nose didn't work.
So, by "straight" you mean turn 1 and by "forwards" you mean backwards then....

knabbel

WilliamsF1 wrote:Does F1 use a cf wishbone? I thought it was metal with a CF wrapping.

All CF possible?

maybe an intrusion panel as in f1 was not used or to be extended in its use
F1 uses full CF whisbones, only the ends with the joints are metal. The whole mid part is CF.

Sombrero
Sombrero

Wow !

toraabe
toraabe

RicME85 wrote:Its mentioned in this article:
hpras wrote:Good explanation of Helio's airtime.....

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/it ... ar-flipped
Could do but implementing it is the problem. The Deltawing solution of a flap closing the diffuser is probably easier to implement quickly.
Remember that Indy cars are ground effect cars and has ever been since it introduction in the late 70"
That also means why they are able to race closer than F1.
I assume that F1 will introduce similar underfloor in the future ...

FW17

toraabe wrote:
RicME85 wrote:Its mentioned in this article:
hpras wrote:Good explanation of Helio's airtime.....

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/it ... ar-flipped
Could do but implementing it is the problem. The Deltawing solution of a flap closing the diffuser is probably easier to implement quickly.
Remember that Indy cars are ground effect cars and has ever been since it introduction in the late 70"
That also means why they are able to race closer than F1.
I assume that F1 will introduce similar underfloor in the future ...

Champcar were ground effect cars, however Indy........................ not sure....

Helio's car looks like a diffuser rather than a venturi tunnel (I may be wrong)

cossie
cossie

i cannot remember a champcar taking flight like the current dallara and the previous one. right now the Ims hierarchy are rightly getting trashed by the media and drivers. Servia's take is this
Rahal Letterman Lanigan’s Oriol Servia suggested Thursday during Indianapolis 500 Media Day that it might have been avoidable.

“To me, that’s unacceptable,” he said. “I think there were things that we were doing on these cars for 20 years that all of a sudden we have forgotten on this car to avoid wishbones going (through the tub).”

Hinchcliffe’s injury mirrored a 2003 crash at Twin Ring Motegi in which Tony Kanaan’s leg also was speared by the steel piece. Servia said IndyCar reinforced an area to help prevent such injuries, but that the design changed when the DW12 chassis made its debut three years ago.

“We used to have a connecting rod,” he said. “All that did was to avoid one of the two sides (of the wishbone) going in (the car). For 20 years we had that on all cars, and all of a sudden, this car, it wasn’t needed.

“I don’t know why. I might be speaking out of turn, and they’ve done other things to avoid it, but obviously whatever that is, it’s not working. So that’s why I’m not happy. I know there are a lot of smart people working on it. I just don’t know what can be done for this race.”

Daly told ABC-TV that the changes made the cars in the warm-up “slow,” he also admitted that the cars “were like riding in a coffin” prior to the changes made earlier. Almost a cryptic thought after Ed Carpenter found the wall and the catch fence during the original morning warm-up session Sunday that led to the required changes. Carpenter was uninjured in the shunt.

wesley123
wesley123

cossie wrote:i cannot remember a champcar taking flight like the current dallara and the previous one.
That's probably because they hardly ran on ovals
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

bhall II
bhall II

I can't say I understand this at all.

Though relatively little is asked of the wing in this context, those conventional pylons and the lack of end plates will seriously hobble efficiency. It's a damn near criminal combination, too, because wingtip vortices will reduce the wing's effective aspect ratio, and the mounting points will constitute blockages that wreck the performance of whatever's left.

It doesn't take much to cause real issues for a car running flat-out at 225+ MPH. Just a split-second loss of traction...

And it's not like solutions don't exist.

Pieoter
Pieoter

They probably already have enough downforce from the undercar tunnels and the rest of the package.

Possible only have a rear wing due to regulations, looks like an aero neutral profile.