Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gray41

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06

Do we suspect the post Barcelona test engine cover was for the next engine update, so from Canada we might see the return of the roll hoop inlets?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Morteza

© Giorgio Piola
Formula1.com wrote:For this season’s Monaco race, in order to achieve more downforce, Mercedes - like most teams - have increased the size of the monkey seat rear wing. The world champions have basically adopted the double-decked design seen on their car in Singapore last year (inset). The only big difference in this area now is the use of a single-pillar wing support - last year’s F1 W05 had a double-pillar design.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

PlatinumZealot

I really like the menacing look of the double pillar design of the W05. :twisted: That car was a beast in every way.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Moose

Jolle wrote:
Blaze1 wrote:
Jolle wrote:Looking at the FIA reports, it looks like the Mercedes teams are still running their first PU this weekend.... With a bit of luck they can run the whole season on 3 engines.
My understanding is that they planned to introduce engine upgrades for the Canadian GP. Using 3 engines for the season would be detrimental performance wise, so they may as well use their full quota.
Not saying that they will, only surprised that they could.... They are not far of les mans durability
Monaco is extremely easy on the engine, effectively that means that the first engine has done 5 races (plus a bit of pootling around some streets). That's exactly how many they're designed to do. Effectively that puts them on course to use two engines for 5 races (one plus Monaco), and two for 4 races. The ones that do 4 races will do some of the heavier engine duty races (like Brazil, Abu Dhabi and Japan, or Canada, Austria, Britain and Spa).

kooleracer

I have calculated how much kilometers (FP1.2.3,QL,RACE) Lewis and Nico have done so far on a single powerunit. I was quite surprised to see a huge difference between the drivers.

Nico has done: 5140.188km
Lewis has done: 4050.953km
Lewis has used 2 Control Electronics so far, but both drivers are otherwise on the first PU package.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Morteza

Is this a bulge or a reflection? And is it new? I don't remember seeing it on the car before.

Via @AlbertFabrega
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

atlantis

Indeed it looks like a bulge, and new too.
A shot from Monaco for comparison:

Redragon

atlantis wrote:Indeed it looks like a bulge, and new too.
A shot from Monaco for comparison:
http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Mer ... 866491.jpg
I think it would be better a shot from the other side before any conclusions, as this side is the wrong one to compare.

arahman_93

yes there's a bulge
They may have wrapped it more tightly or added something there.
found a pic

low drag wing aswell

Morteza

Canada - Thursday

Via AMuS

BanMeToo

Seems like Merc went for the 'medium df' wing more so than others... TR running a monza wing, Lotus and Williams with relatively large wings, etc.

Hail22

Bulging bodywork before it was installed on the car:

Brake ducts:
Seems like a tighter package to my eyes.

Front nose bulb detail:

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

pmneo

I don't think that the Package is tighter, Rosberg said via AMuS:
Dieses Jahr haben wir extra eine Vorsichtsmaßnahme in Sachen Kühlung vorgenommen.
He said, that they gone some extra safety ways in cooling. So maybe the bulk is because of a larger Intercooler or repacked cooling spec.

SiLo

pmneo wrote:I don't think that the Package is tighter, Rosberg said via AMuS:
Dieses Jahr haben wir extra eine Vorsichtsmaßnahme in Sachen Kühlung vorgenommen.
He said, that they gone some extra safety ways in cooling. So maybe the bulk is because of a larger Intercooler or repacked cooling spec.
Yeah it looks like it houses a larger cooler at the rear, not sure what it cools however.
Felipe Baby!

RicME85

In an Autosport article today Rosberg says they have sorted the issues that effected them last season at this race so I assume its an uprated cooling that as part of the overall package will help to stop the energy store from over heating.
The initial problem was the electric pack overheating and we have sorted that for this year because this is the most challenging track for that.