Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Manfer

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

The Hot air in Monaco is not dispersed as effectively as other circuits. Add to that a lot of stop start corners and close following of cars, the demand for cooling is higher that other places. Also opening up the outlets has little effect as it is a high downforce circuit anyway. Most of the cars have a large outlet compared to Bahrain even.

BlackSwan

Fer.Fan

I can´t help thinking Ferrari FW looks simple compared to Mercedes. In qualify biggest problem for SF15-T was to generate heat/grip in the tyres, despite having super-softs. Looks like Ferrari lacks some downforce in front of the car.

Dream Theater

Fer.Fan wrote:
I can´t help thinking Ferrari FW looks simple compared to Mercedes. In qualify biggest problem for SF15-T was to generate heat/grip in the tyres, despite having super-softs. Looks like Ferrari lacks some downforce in front of the car.
I can't understand why you're assuming, without knowing (maybe) the design philosophy behind the FW, but especially, judging just by looking at it, that:
1) the FW looks simple.
2) more complexity leads to more downforce.

Or I'm misinterpreting your statement?

I don't think that they lack front grip. Moreover, as we've seen during the qualify session, all teams did 2 laps in order to get the super soft tyres in temperature, including Mercedes.

wuzak

The difference in the complexity of the front wing may be explained by Ferrari using blown axles and Mercedes not, meaning Mercedes probably need to do more work to deflect the air around the front wheels.

Jordan44

wuzak wrote:The difference in the complexity of the front wing may be explained by Ferrari using blown axles and Mercedes not, meaning Mercedes probably need to do more work to deflect the air around the front wheels.
It was no different last year with no blown axles. Mercedes just like to be very complex with their wings.

I think it's amazing we have these differences and it shows the different ways the engineers think.

f1316

If you watch the video a page or two back in this thread, scarbs explains how Ferrari used a more complex front wing in testing before reverting to a simpler design. So regardless of whatever relative pros and cons we might infer, this is clearly a conscious choice by Ferrari.

F1.Ru

Ferrari SF15-T - Monaco steering modifications

F1 cars are not made to race in city streets and their normal steering angle doesn’t allow them to make the tight hairpin bends.

For the Monaco race teams therefore modify the steering angle from the norm of around 14 degrees to somewhere nearer 20. In order to do this both the upper and lower suspension wishbones must be cut to avoid contact with the wheel rim, as you can see in this Ferrari drawing.

© Formula1.com & Giorgio Piola
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

Kiril Varbanov

Ferrari will have rather new engine setup|parts at Canada plus new fuel.

Froggolo

Kiril Varbanov wrote:Ferrari will have rather new engine setup|parts at Canada plus new fuel.
i am sorry to correct you
but today Arrivabene said that they won't bring any engine update in Canada
they will save tokens for later races

Arrivabene said: "In Canada non useremo dei gettoni, ma non chiedetemi quando la monteremo
perché non vorrei dare un'informazione ai tedeschi"

"in Canada we won't use tokens, and don't ask me when we'll use new PU because i don't want to give info to Merc"
Relax, man. Have an elliptical drink or something® ( bhallg2k )

Kiril Varbanov

Great. Let's see if plans have really changed in the mean time, or Arrivabene is sandbagging. I had the info confirmed from a very trusted party in a private conversation. The man in question has actually worked on it, so... I kinda believe him. But agian, we shall see.

Froggolo

also you have to think this...

if they will bring PU#3 in Canada,
they should race next 13 races with only 2 PU
and i think is quite unrealistic

about new fuel, it is quite probable, many sources claim Shell will bring some fuel evolution

f1316

Froggolo wrote:also you have to think this...

if they will bring PU#3 in Canada,
they should race next 13 races with only 2 PU
and i think is quite unrealistic

about new fuel, it is quite probable, many sources claim Shell will bring some fuel evolution
You say that, but Mercedes have only used 1 ice so far this year.
, so they seem to manage.

Also , I suspect Ferrari would rather be faster sooner and worry about reliability later. No one really expects them to win either championship this year but if they start winning races semi-regularly mid season then that will be seen as a big success.

f1316

Kiril Varbanov wrote:Great. Let's see if plans have really changed in the mean time, or Arrivabene is sandbagging. I had the info confirmed from a very trusted party in a private conversation. The man in question has actually worked on it, so... I kinda believe him. But agian, we shall see.
Given that you have such a reliable source - and therefore I think it's very safe to believe that Ferrari are just keeping the cards close to their chest (plus Arrivabene's quote does allude to not telling Mercedes the truth) - could explain more about what you mean by new engine setup?

Also, we've been hearing 20-30 bhp for this upgrade all year - did this guy give any indication of his expectations?

Froggolo

f1316 wrote: You say that, but Mercedes have only used 1 ice so far this year, so they seem to manage.

Also , I suspect Ferrari would rather be faster sooner and worry about reliability later. No one really expects them to win either championship this year but if they start winning races semi-regularly mid season then that will be seen as a big success.

exactly, Mercedes can manage it,
if Ferrari already with tested PU had to replace it earlier means they are less reliable than Merc
and as they want to increase PU performance, is logic that (theoretically) is decreasing the % of reliability.

Beside all, i think, the actual PU is not bad at all!

they probably are now focusing on improving traction at low speeds and how to use better the actual PU horses
surely working on fuel, electronic and electric components of the PU

...if since middle season you have a winning car but you have to use 5th engine, aka big penalty on starting grid,
what you think are the chanches to win even a single race against Merc?