Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

Cool race. I thought it would get close between me an CAEdevice.
Turned out I was right.

So what are the others thinking now?
Only one super crazy isolated front wing on the podium.

Will there be more Variante-style-kid-cars or will some switch and go down the TF path?

The 3D picture of the JJR car is quite cool but I think we are seeing the wrong 360°.

Also congratulations to JJR. The improvements and resulting performance are impressive.

CAEdevice

@LDVH: congratulations, since I've seen the renderings I have started to be worried :) Now let's wait Chris' sectioned post processing ;)

TalnoRacing

Congratulations to JJR. Seems I have a lot of work to do, but happy to have scored points in my first race.
Last edited by TalnoRacing on 25 May 2015, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:Now let's wait Chris' sectioned post processing ;)
Yes, I cannot wait for that part.

machin

Good work from all the teams, and especially to Chris and Julien... We have some nice battles developing between teams right the way through the grid...
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

variante

Any chance to see some CFD data? I mean the Cl.A, Cd.A, CoP of all the cars

julien.decharentenay

We are slowly recovering and catching up with releasing the data. The Cd.A, Cl.A and COP are released at: http://www.khamsinvirtualracecarchallen ... 15/results. The map will follow shortly...

cdsavage

Some images...

Downforce (pressure * -Z normal):

Total pressure, diffuser geometry blurred out this time:

variante

You know...i'm looking for 4th position next race so that the intimate parts of my car won't be shown in public once again :lol:

LVDH

Nice pictures.

It seems that JJR is able to produce some additional downforce behind the rear wheels.

The x=0.5 pictures are interesting as well. They all look very different.
It seems the JJR rear wing somehow got copied onto my car.

A look at the pure numbers is also reveals some fun facts:
Variante and DH Racing were the only cars to go for less downforce compared to the first race.
The largest improvements were achieved by Brook Motorsport an TF.
The Pure Power Racing Team had the best efficiency improvement, who were also the only ones to enter the second race with less drag.

CAEdevice

Interesting pictures. Except for the front wing, Variante's car is the most similar to mine.
It seems that blowing exhausts have only a small effect.

The rear wing profile of JJR and Mantium is almost exaclty the same!

A question: do you think that, with a Variante-like design, to not simulate the rear suspension can improve the results of 1000N?

variante

CAEdevice wrote:A question: do you think that, with a Variante-like design, to not simulate the rear suspension can improve the results of 1000N?
Never tested that condition, but I don't feel like the improvement would be that impressive. Max 500N is my guess.
LVDH wrote:Variante and DH Racing were the only cars to go for less downforce compared to the first race.
Yes, by accident :)
My rear downforce was actually improved, slightly. Everything I lost was on the front axle (net result)

BTW, notice the asymmetric pressure distribution on my diffuser...

cdsavage

More images of the top 3:

cdsavage

As I mentioned a while ago, we are considering some changes to the rulebook, not for the next round, but for round 4 (6th August, the first of the lower downforce tracks). The assumption here is that most of you will be making substantial changes for this round anyway.

Draft rulebook: http://www.khamsinvirtualracecarchallen ... edirects=0

Main changes:

- K4.1: Added ‘area template’ defined relative to the rear face of the inner template for the cooling inlet. The 'inlet surface' would now represent the mouth of the inlet duct, and the area template would represent the heat exchanger itself.

- Lower side impact structure removed, upper one unchanged

- K4.2: Outlet must now be at least 1000mm rearwards of the inlet (+200mm). Last 200mm of outer template may intersect rear suspension templates. Inner template may intersect rear suspension templates.

- Tentatively added a rule to K4.1 and K4.3 governing shrouding of the inlets.

- Split drivetrain template into upper/lower engine template and gearbox template. Together, these 3 parts are identical to the current drivetrain template. Rules which previously referred to 'drivetrain template' now refer to one or both of the engine templates. The gearbox template is just for bodywork to enclose.

Other than the split drivetrain template, there are only a couple of very minor changes to the guide file - I won't update this until we are closer to a final decision on any rule changes.

variante

cdsavage wrote:- K4.1: Added ‘area template’ defined relative to the rear face of the inner template for the cooling inlet. The 'inlet surface' would now represent the mouth of the inlet duct, and the area template would represent the heat exchanger itself.
We discussed about this rule before the season had started, but it's been decided not to introduce it due to rule checking issues (if i remember correcly, it was me, the guy with the smallest sidepods, the one who proposed the introduction of that rule). What has changed from to those days?
cdsavage wrote:- K4.2: Outlet must now be at least 1000mm rearwards of the inlet (+200mm). Last 200mm of outer template may intersect rear suspension templates. Inner template may intersect rear suspension templates.
"..because..."

BTW just (hopefully) constructive criticism here. I deeply appreciate the work you're doing and miss your car in the grid ;)

Anyway, it may be useful to underline rulebook changes with a different colour, like FIA does with its rulebooks.