Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

proteus wrote:A little bit off the thread, but would it be legal if they would fit and electric compressor for cooling, integrated into the car as part of the balast, for cooling the most volnurable parts of electronics? And it would reduce the need of inlets (at least their size).
As in a refridgeration unit running off the energy store?
Sorta crazy.. But judgin by the amount of heat the electronics generate a hudge compressor and condenser unit would be needed. You see the ES is designed to run at warm temperatures not refridgeration temperatures so termodynamically it is more efficient to use ambient air to cool it than a refridgeration unit.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Edax
Edax

kptaylor wrote:
JDC123 wrote: Is that burn marks at the joint between panels on the engine cover/sidepod below the honda logo?
If a total loss of electronics, then there more than likely wouldn't be an cooling fans running or coolant circulating. With packaging so tight this may not be too surprising. Hopefully not an issue contributing to the DNF.
Doesn't have to be a total loss of electronics. If you see this amount of blistering then the temperature on the other side of the CFRP is likely well above 250C. Most high temperature electrical insulation is designed so that it decomposes while retaining its insulating properties, but it becomes very brittle. That does not combine well with traveling down a bumpy circuit.

One explanation (speculation) could be the development of a local hotspot causing a few sensors to short. loss of sensor input could be enough to have the electronic management system decide to shut itself down.

I wonder how difficult Mon is in terms of heat management anyway. Low average speed, heat reflection from buildings, and dirty air being trapped on the course. Perhaps painting the car black was also not the smartest move for this circuit.

aterren
aterren

I am quite sure that If radiator fans were permitted they would be useful in managing temperatures at speed, not just when stationary. It is very likely that they would bring aerodynamic benefits.

diffuser

PlatinumZealot wrote:
proteus wrote:A little bit off the thread, but would it be legal if they would fit and electric compressor for cooling, integrated into the car as part of the balast, for cooling the most volnurable parts of electronics? And it would reduce the need of inlets (at least their size).
As in a refridgeration unit running off the energy store?
Sorta crazy.. But judgin by the amount of heat the electronics generate a hudge compressor and condenser unit would be needed. You see the ES is designed to run at warm temperatures not refridgeration temperatures so termodynamically it is more efficient to use ambient air to cool it than a refridgeration unit.

we need a heat pump!!!

PlatinumZealot

aterren wrote:I am quite sure that If radiator fans were permitted they would be useful in managing temperatures at speed, not just when stationary. It is very likely that they would bring aerodynamic benefits.
Well, well.. I tell you huhwhat.. calculate the static pressure against the radiator at speed.. then calculate the pressure drop accross the fan and you find the fan does not add much - do the same for the air velocity too. . The entire underside of the side pod is at pressure when the car is at speed.. you pretty much can bleed it off to anywhere you want without a fan. I get you.. but even street cars don't need the fan at speed, the air speed is plenty fast enough than the fan anyway. Renenber f1 radiators are huuge and you even cooling too.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mclaren111

Motorsport.com has learned that the Woking-based outfit has been preparing a significant overhaul of its car for Austria that it hopes will deliver a good step forward in form.

Although it falls short of being a B-spec version of its 2015 F1 challenger, the changes to the wings, floor and bodywork of the car will be extensive.
Lets hope it works [-o< [-o< [-o<

Abarth

PlatinumZealot wrote:
aterren wrote:I am quite sure that If radiator fans were permitted they would be useful in managing temperatures at speed, not just when stationary. It is very likely that they would bring aerodynamic benefits.
Well, well.. I tell you huhwhat.. calculate the static pressure against the radiator at speed.. then calculate the pressure drop accross the fan and you find the fan does not add much - do the same for the air velocity too. . The entire underside of the side pod is at pressure when the car is at speed.. you pretty much can bleed it off to anywhere you want without a fan. I get you.. but even street cars don't need the fan at speed, the air speed is plenty fast enough than the fan anyway. Renenber f1 radiators are huuge and you even cooling too.
But you could reduce air flow with a fan, when not needed, and/or reduce drag inducing inlet area.
Though this would be some sort of adjustable aero, and is not permitted.

GoranF1
GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Thunder

Could we stop the sensationalist Headlines please? So many People get tricked by them and after Austria we will have 10 Pages of whining and ranting about how McLaren lied......
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Henne

Thunders wrote:Could we stop the sensationalist Headlines please? So many People get tricked by them and after Austria we will have 10 Pages of whining and ranting about how McLaren lied......
No, pretty sure they'll be winning in Austria ;-)

And now to be honest... Give them time. I'd say give Honda 2 full years, then we'll see where they are.

wickedz50
wickedz50

ajnšpric_pumpa wrote:Mclaren gunning Austria podium!!! :D

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclar ... or-austria
If they can consistently move into Q3 of qualifying then I think its sufficient satisfaction for the team this year. Important thing is if they can get the aero and chasis to top grade this year then definately we will see great results when their engine is in full flow.
Winnings and podiums will come gradually.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Thunders wrote:Could we stop the sensationalist Headlines please? So many People get tricked by them and after Austria we will have 10 Pages of whining and ranting about how McLaren lied......

in case they win!? :mrgreen:
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Thunder

ajnšpric_pumpa wrote: in case they win!? :mrgreen:
exploding Heads :lol: :lol:
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

diffuser

Henne wrote:
No, pretty sure they'll be winning in Austria ;-)

And now to be honest... Give them time. I'd say give Honda 2 full years, then we'll see where they are.
Right now, even if all the other cars crashed in an accident it would be 50/50 if the would finish the race.

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

As a MCL fan that would be a nice scenario.
It would give them more points, if one car makes over 75% race distance they will even get full points :lol: