Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
tomazy

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

ajnšpric_pumpa wrote:The mp4-30 is really really loosing on the straights 10-26 km/h yeastrday in FP2......Is there any way of knowing how much that is in lap time here?
So, lets do some simple math with a lot of assumption. Lets say, that there are 2km of streights in Silverstone averaging 280km/h with acceloration, and that they are on average 13km/h (293km/h for others) slower in this 2km. They would lose 1.14s a lap if I did the math correct.

Thunder

Pictures from Saturday:

New Diffusor (or the same as Austria with the double Gurney Flaps?)

And the new Front Wing. They are going the Merc route with the Endplates (or their last years route), just like Red Bull did a few races ago.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

vantage87

Qualifying session - speed trap & maximum speeds

tuj
tuj

wow this year's Honda is pathetic. You'd think that with having a year of experience using Merc engines, Honda would have had the proper benchmarks on integrated power delivery. I simply don't understand how they could screw up MORE than Renault.

Thunder

More Pictures of the New Front Wing. (Open in new Tab for bigger Pictures)

#aerogollum

GoranF1

tomazy wrote:
ajnšpric_pumpa wrote:The mp4-30 is really really loosing on the straights 10-26 km/h yeastrday in FP2......Is there any way of knowing how much that is in lap time here?
So, lets do some simple math with a lot of assumption. Lets say, that there are 2km of streights in Silverstone averaging 280km/h with acceloration, and that they are on average 13km/h (293km/h for others) slower in this 2km. They would lose 1.14s a lap if I did the math correct.
looking at those speed traps @vantage87 posted it is quite clear that the gap to Mercedes of around 2.5 seconds, to Ferrari and Williams of around 1.5,and around 1 second to RB and TR is 80-90% down to Honda,the chassis really seems to be not bad at all.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Silent Storm

The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

vantage87

Qualifying Session Best Sector Times

wesley123

It's interesting how McLaren still retains the end plates connection to the wing, while everyone else has moved away from this concept.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Thunder

wesley123 wrote:It's interesting how McLaren still retains the end plates connection to the wing, while everyone else has moved away from this concept.
Force India moved TO that concept with their B Spec. It's just the Red Bull Concept when these People where at Red Bull. Although the new Front Wing from Macca moves away from it towards the outwash Design most other Teams are using.
#aerogollum

wesley123

Took a look, FI's wing utilizes the remote end plate. McLaren's wing still retains the connected end plate. The update even takes a step back(if we take a look at Red Bulls development of the wing) as they now connected the end plate to the footplate, which was Red Bulls solution before connecting it to the wing itself.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

vantage87

McLaren-Honda in trouble. When improvement? (from http://www.cyrkf1.pl)

Honda's problems are frustrating and probably no one expected that it will take so much. And far from finished. At the beginning of the season as the race developed systematically to go back some time back. A series of failures torpedoed efforts Honda. They came back with some settings to those of the beginning of the season. Mercedes power deficit surely now exceeds 100 hp - an abyss. There is no chance for any fight with any of the car on the track.

The maximum speed of eligibility confirm this thesis. McLaren is the slowest and lose up to 20 km / h. Faster cars are even Manora with last year's Ferrari engine. In previous races this deficit was smaller, in the range 12-15 km / h.

The maximum speed Silverstone 2015 According to Auto Motor und Sport on the basis of interviews with engineers team, as many as two seconds on one lap, costing them at Silverstone Honda engine power shortage. Sam car is weaker than the Mercedes by about 0.5 seconds. The rest of the deficit comes from the tires, which by the fact that the car is slower are not properly warmed up. Fernando Alonso lost today in qualifying 2.7 seconds to Lewis Hamilton. Eric Boullier said that the engine at Silverstone is costing them a lot more than 50% of losses. So suggestions Amuse they are not far from the truth.

Just a few weeks ago it was estimated that the car and the engine about half responsible for the gap to the leaders. Since then, the car has clearly improved, and the loss remained unchanged. Honda uses a very conservative settings at Silverstone, forced them to do a series of failures. Currently they are waiting for changes in the rules on the penalties for extra-curricular engines. It may be that manages to be entered before the race in Hungary, and not certainly against Belgium. This means one additional set of elements of the drive unit without penalty and for each subsequent additional elements maximum shift at the end of the rate.

At Silverstone Team drivers use the old engines: one with Bahrain and the other from Spain. Which they have had already a lot of kilometers and their strength and reliability are at the highest level. Therefore, they use them very carefully: reduced power and number of runs in training. Drivers do not work out the best settings for it. And work on the development of the car are very slow. Even in Saturday's workout we tested new components of the car. New engines, founded tactically in Austria is still undergoing review and it is uncertain whether they will be able to revive (one suffered in a collision with Raikkonen and the other had a failure).

Honda is preparing amendments to give more power. The Japanese are still very confident that this package will give a good performance again this season, in the second part. Do you remember for sure the information from the beginning of the year that the theoretical performance of this engine is very large, but not used because of the failure rate. You definitely have a lot of store. They plan to use the last seven tokens (vouchers) quickly. Perhaps you've Hungary will take effect if the previously mentioned changes in the regulations, as it is not in Belgium. Improved want to turbo combustion engine alone.

Thunder

With Connected Endplate you mean the Endplate sitting on the outer Arches of the Main Flaps? That's (at least to me) the "old" Red Bull Concept, since they themself moved away from it a few Races ago. And it's, now that McLaren introduced their new Wing, only used by FI in their B Spec:

WARNING, extreme armchairing incoming (please tell me if i'm completely off and i will delete that "analysis" ^^)
The "old" Design with the Flaps protruding the Endplate was , at least to me, to suck Air from outside the Endplate to the Inside (and under the Wing?) and "digest" it for more DF. The New Wing is more the Outwash Design most teams use these Days. There is still a Window in the Endplate, albeit much smaller than that on the Old Wing. But to me it seems that this is to get the Air that builds up in that Section of the Wing out and around the Tire. So this Window is more for drag reduction and helping the Outwash.

God i'm bad at this. :D
#aerogollum