Force India VJM08 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
NAPI10

Re: Force India VJM08

Any idea around car performance in race simulation (FP1 & 2)? This package is close to RB or better?

Pol_S

I made this:

And here the "interactive" flash version, if you want to stop it at any point: http://www.laf1.es/articulos/tecnica-as ... 015-912083

So yes, I think it's legal because the hole begins in the lower part when it ends in the upper part. Basically, that you can't see the tarmac from above.

ringo

All id does is provide more air. It doesn't have to be aimed at anything. The flow coming in from the front will sort that out.
The nostril air just needs to be there to provide more flow energy.
For Sure!!

FrukostScones

they did a Brawn! chapeau!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

OO7
OO7

Just an observation, but the Force India cars were running a substantial amount of rake this weekend. At least equal to if not greater than what is seen on the Red Bull cars. I guest this is an indication of a change in their aero philosophy.
Last edited by OO7 on 07 Jul 2015, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.

Godius

Blaze1 wrote:Just an observation, but the Force India cars were running a substantial amount of rake on their cars this weekend. At least equal to if not greater than what is seen on the Red Bull cars. I guest this is an indication of a change in their aero philosophy.
I have notice the amount of rake as well, quite an interesting change of approach.

Flanker27

Do you think this solution will be used by other teams in the season?

PlatinumZealot

I think Ferrari and Sauber have the most to gain from it. They will need a crash test of course. And it remains to be seen how much more of an improvement this nose adds to performance. I think Force India will need another race or two to dial in their new car so we can really see if it was worth the wait.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

skoop

i read somewhere (think it was AMuS) that they're developing a short nose with holes for next season. it was just too expensive to get it done for silverstone. they didn't wand to do 178 crashtests.
here's the quote:

Andy Green bestätigt: "Im Prinzip erreichen wir das gleiche wie unsere Konkurrenten mit der kurzen Nase. Für 2016 wollen wir kürzer gehen und die Löcher behalten. Dann hätten wir einen wirklichen Vorteil. Es gleich zu versuchen, war uns eine Nummer zu heiß. Wir wollten nicht 60 Crashtests machen müssen, bis wir die Nase homologiert kriegen."

edit: here's the full link: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 42916.html

it seems like (at least according to andy green) their solution is as good as the short nose

PlatinumZealot

Looks interesting, but I don't speak German and I'm too lazy to use google translate. 8) I will just trust your comment and let that sequence of mouse clicks pass for now...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Godius

Pictures from AMuS:

new:

old:

new:

old:

new camera positioning:

F1aero

f1316 wrote:Nostrils on the car - nice to see (I like variety).

Can't help but wonder why no other teams spotted the loophole - which makes me wonder if they did but chose not to pursue - but here's hoping it works well for them.

I suppose, thinking about the above, it's a simpler to crash test nose than an ultra short one; wonder if therefore Ferrari might try something similar, as Allison has mentioned that their bulkhead makes it difficult to go ultra short.
Why do people think this is something new?!
I know of at least 3 teams that looked into this when the current regs came out (FIndia not being one if them)

turbof1

F1aero wrote:

Can't help but wonder why no other teams spotted the loophole - which makes me wonder if they did but chose not to pursue - but here's hoping it works well for them.

I suppose, thinking about the above, it's a simpler to crash test nose than an ultra short one; wonder if therefore Ferrari might try something similar, as Allison has mentioned that their bulkhead makes it difficult to go ultra short.
I know of at least 3 teams that looked into this when the current regs came out (FIndia not being one if them)
What I thought and corresponding with what somebody else said: it's a cheaper performance update since they didn't completely change the front crash structure.
#AeroFrodo

ChrisF1

F1aero wrote:

I know who one team is, but intrigued as to the others - are they the less wealthy teams?