Williams FW37 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
tomazy

Re: Williams FW37 Mercedes

New diffuser for Williams (at least section below rear crash structure).

New

Old (Austrian gp)

Sevach

What's this "box" in front of the nosecone?
Tricky front suspension coming up?

JDC123

Sevach wrote:http://images.adrivo.com/images/950/q_8 ... 686788.jpg

http://images.adrivo.com/images/950/q_8 ... 686789.jpg

What's this "box" in front of the nosecone?
Tricky front suspension coming up?
Its a protective shielding around the brake reservoirs. It seems to stick out quite far though, meaning maybe the springs may also be housed in their as well

LookBackTime

LookBackTime

LookBackTime

By: Jonathan Noble, Formula 1 Editor
1 hour ago
Williams thinks there is even more to come from its car, after delivering a Ferrari-beating performance in qualifying for the British Grand Prix.

Felipe Massa and Valtteri Bottas produced the best joint grid result of the season for their Grove-based outfit, as they locked out the second row of the grid at Silverstone.

Performance chief Rob Smedley was delighted with the result, which he thinks not only ends suggestions his outfit cannot maintain development but also means the fight with Ferrari for runner-up in the championship is back on.

"I was quoted some time back as saying it was a myth that we couldn't develop the car – and hopefully I think we have dispelled that myth," explained Smedley after qualifying.

"We are constantly developing the car, and we are doing it in small incremental steps. There is more to come, this year as well, which is good.

"We are just trying to get ourselves into a more and more favourable position. And, as I have said before, we do want to try to get that second position in the championship. That is our target now, so we have to keep chipping away to it."

Surprised by Ferrari gap

Although admitting that the eight tenths gap to pole position is a cause for concern, Smedley said he was surprised that Ferrari were a little adrift.

"That [eight tenths to pole] is a big chunk to me and it is something we need to work on and improve if we want to win races on our own merit," he said.

"I said pre-weekend that this is a circuit that will definitely suit our car with all the high speed sections and it being high power sensitivity, high drag sensitivity and high downforce sensitivity.

"So if you did all the numbers and all the modelling, then it seemed like we would have a reasonable chance against Ferrari.

"I think I am possibly pleasantly surprised about the size of the gap; but it is a question that you need to ask Ferrari because they didn't seem to pick up anything through qualifying.

"They got their first qualifying run in and then were pretty stable from then on in. Whether or not they use all the power unit energy or availability in the first qualifying I don't know, but we have a plan and a strategy for going through qualifying and making sure we put ourselves in the best position possible for Q3."

Sevach

The tighter body version is being used this weekend

SimonFW11b

Hello all, just registered

The FW37 really is a thing of beauty, except the rather odd nose. If it was a solution more like the Merc, it would be one of the best looking cars to come out of Grove for me

tomazy

With all the rage I had before becouse of the rain, this is the first time that I actually belive that catching Ferrari this year is possible. This is the first time that we were faster than them in the race, and we were closer to Mercedes on pace than ever. This makes me belive, that we did a big step in the right direction we just need some luck and no rain in the coming races.

Looking at the calander, there are more races that suit our car than those that don't. And even those that don't will be much better than Monaco was.

domh245

Out of interest, which are the races that don't suit the FW37. I'm guessing Hungary is one of them, but what are the others?

Silent Storm

https://twitter.com/somersf1/status/617695244587565056 Interesting tweet from Matt saying that the Williams is ride height sensitive and bolting on Inter/Wet tyres increases ride height which effected them today in wet condition and not the lack of downforce.
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

hollus

In Q Williams was quite down in the speed trap, so, yes, I mean, no, it wasn't a problem with low downforce. Not this time.
Rivals, not enemies.

nacho

Well I think ride height has a big effect on downforce in their car, like all cars.

tomazy

domh245 wrote:Out of interest, which are the races that don't suit the FW37. I'm guessing Hungary is one of them, but what are the others?
And maybe Singapore?

Sevach

Silent Storm wrote:https://twitter.com/somersf1/status/617695244587565056
Interesting tweet from Matt saying that the Williams is ride height sensitive and bolting on Inter/Wet tyres increases ride height which effected them today in wet condition and not the lack of downforce.
They were slow before switching to inters, just the drizzle was enough for the cars to loose tire temp i'm assuming.