Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mika vs michael

Re: Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team 2015

Is the team going backwards?
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

Vasconia

mika vs michael wrote:Is the team going backwards?
In Spain they call them "peoras", I dont know how to translate this but its like to say that the new pieces are made to worsen the car, which is exactly what has happened during the last seasons.

GPR-A duplicate2

Hardly surprising. Where is evered7, f316 and giantfan? Can you defend the "OVER A SECOND" gap?
Vasconia wrote: In Spain they call them "peoras", I dont know how to translate this but its like to say that the new pieces are made to worsen the car, which is exactly what has happened during the last seasons.
I have argued hard here about Ferrari's ability to develop the cars in season. They simply do not have enough strength in their engineering team to build a highly competitive machine. There seems to be grass root problem in their engineering ranks. They have fired the leaders of the groups, but it appears that they still have inefficient people actually designing and developing the car. By his own admission, James Allison has said that, he hasn't turned a single screw on this car and it was the same with previous technical directors, who got fired. What's the point in firing people whose only job is overseeing? The rot could be at a grass root level and the stemming is needed there. Idiots simply copied the elements of Merc front wing like they have been copying for ages from a leading team. I still believe that they lucked into having resolved their Engine problem. With Renault and Honda struggling, they can continue to believe they have a great PU and can compete with Merc, an illusion. Their first major chassis package (70%) hasn't helped them move any forward.

Arrivabene was saying that these compounds doesn't suit them and that is one of the reasons why they are struggling. One more fundamental flaw where their car doesn't work with all compounds and all weather conditions.

bhall II

No one has made a pronounced step forward since the season began. In fact, there's been a tendency for teams to initially lose momentum after big updates. It happened to Ferrari and Red Bull in Barcelona, and McLaren's going through it now (again).

It seems we're upon a new era in which extremely tight regulations have put an end to proper in-season chassis development. I think Toro Rosso got it right when they introduced the majority of their updates for the season before it even began.

If Force India is able to pull itself up with their de facto b-spec chassis, I fear it will be a harbinger of F1's super-expensive future.
GPR-A wrote:Idiots simply copied the elements of Merc front wing like they have been copying for ages from a leading team.
Ferrari's front wing is a natural evolution of a concept that originated at Lotus from 2011 to 2012. The design made its way to Maranello when Lotus' technical director (Allison) and head of aerodynamics (de Beer) were installed as Ferrari's technical director and chief aerodynamacist. Brackley got a hold of it when Lotus aerodynamacist Mike Eliot was made head of aerodynamics at Mercedes.

One more fundamental flaw where their car doesn't work with all compounds and all weather conditions.
Yeah, it only took Mercedes a half-decade to figure out the tires. :wink:

GPR-A duplicate2

bhall II wrote:
GPR-A wrote:Idiots simply copied the elements of Merc front wing like they have been copying for ages from a leading team.
Ferrari's front wing is a natural evolution of a concept that originated at Lotus from 2011 to 2012. The design made its way to Maranello when Lotus' technical director (Allison) and head of aerodynamics (de Beer) were installed as Ferrari's technical director and chief aerodynamacist. Brackley got a hold of it when Lotus aerodynamacist Mike Eliot was made head of aerodynamics at Mercedes.

http://i.imgur.com/FJR0IAE.jpg
One more fundamental flaw where their car doesn't work with all compounds and all weather conditions.
Yeah, it only took Mercedes a half-decade to figure out the tires. :wink:
I am only highlighting the section marked above, not the entire front wing. A straight rip off from Merc's wing introduced in china.

As for Mercedes, they only took 2 years to learn about tyres !!! Here is the choronology of the events.
2011 - Pirelli entered, without much fuss and RB7 dominated. No one shouted about tyres. W02 was a bad car.
2012 - Pirelli became adventurous and brought "Cheese" tyres (As Michael said). W03 was a fast qualifying car, but with many other problems, including tyre wear. First year of struggle with tyres.
2013 - Pirelli became even more adventurous and brought tyres that were blowing up. W04 was a much better car, but with only tyre wear as achilles heal. Second year of struggle with tyres.
2014 - Now it is history.

Note: When people vote your posts bhall, because they are highly informative, I also feel happy to read them and learn. But when people vote the posts on Scuderia Ferrari Team forum, because you are defending them, I don't know whether to be happy or sad about their emotions.

evered7

Considering that Vettel has generally beaten Kimi in all qualifying sessions bar Canada where Vettel suffered a car failure, I believe it is not the car's full potential. Also Vettel mentioned about being blocked by Massa who in turn was caught out by slow Nico. The low grid position might have something to do with it.

Luckily the points are given on Sunday and Silverstone allows for overtaking to happen as well. We will see how that turns out. No pitstop goof ups allowed if Ferrari are to get anywhere near the podium. Hopefully the new equipment will help resolve that issue.

bhall II

GPR-A wrote:Note: When people vote your posts bhall, because they are highly informative, I also feel happy to read them and learn. But when people vote the posts on Scuderia Ferrari Team forum, because you are defending them, I don't know whether to be happy or sad about their emotions.
Try not caring. That's my approach. :)

I don't see the same thing you see here. The wings are conceptually similar, as are just about all wings in F1, but they're structurally different.

Rather like this...

Did Mercedes copy Ferrari? Or did Aldo Costa just remember that it's probably a good idea to direct air flow down and toward the bargeboards?

Precious little is new to F1, and you can't otherwise avoid a good solution just because someone else got there first. That's how you wind up on a path to nowhere...

No matter how many times Tombazis failed to develop that wing, he wouldn't let it go.

And as much as I defend my favored team, I'm really more interested in promoting objectivity. I think it's the only way we can learn anything.

Besides, I bet every car on the grid next year will feature a very familiar cooling system...

Silent Storm

evered7 wrote:Considering that Vettel has generally beaten Kimi in all qualifying sessions bar Canada where Vettel suffered a car failure, I believe it is not the car's full potential. Also Vettel mentioned about being blocked by Massa who in turn was caught out by slow Nico. The low grid position might have something to do with it.

Luckily the points are given on Sunday and Silverstone allows for overtaking to happen as well. We will see how that turns out. No pitstop goof ups allowed if Ferrari are to get anywhere near the podium. Hopefully the new equipment will help resolve that issue.
Vettel was blocked during the outlap and he said it didn't effect his final run.

Vettel struggled on nailing S3 throughout the weekend and he couldn't do it Q3 either.
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

Juzh

Raikkonen simply has more pace around silverstone at this moment. That's it. It's been like this trough every free practice and qualifying. I don't expect anything to change during the race.

Crucial_Xtreme

No the team is not going backwards. I think the team has been improving the car little by little. In Spain Arrivabene said the data on the new updates was clearly a step forward. Arrivabene is most certainly a straight shooter and if the updates were --- he'd say so. But Ferrari aren't the only team improving, hence why the gap has more or less stayed consistent.

As for this weekend at Silverstone, the drivers said they didn't get the most out of the car in Quali, but we all know Ferrari race pace is better than its Quali(one lap) pace. Also the reliability update Merc introduced a race or two ago has been filtered down to the customer teams, which I believe is allowing them to turn the engines up more without fear of reliability issues. I suppose we won't see any more tokens used until Monza but Ferrari need to introduce a PU update soon.

Juzh

Crucial_Xtreme wrote: Arrivabene is most certainly a straight shooter and if the updates were --- he'd say so.
But he also said after monaco they weren't going to bring new ICE to canada or spent tokens whatsoever.

Crucial_Xtreme

Juzh wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote: Arrivabene is most certainly a straight shooter and if the updates were --- he'd say so.
But he also said after monaco they weren't going to bring new ICE to canada or spent tokens whatsoever.
If you can't see or discern the difference, I'm sorry.

ME4ME

Juzh wrote:Raikkonen simply has more pace around silverstone at this moment. That's it. It's been like this trough every free practice and qualifying. I don't expect anything to change during the race.
Agreed. Mark Webber was often quicker around Silverstone as well. It isn't one of Vettel's strong circuits, although he managed to do well today.

Edit: Calculated Ferrari vs Mercedes qualifying deficit:

Australia: +1,66 %
Malaysia: +0,07 %
China: +0,94 %
Bahrain: +0,44 %
Spain: +0,92 %
Monaco: +1,00 %
Canada: +0,83 %
Austria: +0,52 %
Britain: +1,23 %

windwaves

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
No the team is not going backwards. I think the team has been improving the car little by little. In Spain Arrivabene said the data on the new updates was clearly a step forward. Arrivabene is most certainly a straight shooter and if the updates were --- he'd say so. But Ferrari aren't the only team improving, hence why the gap has more or less stayed consistent.

As for this weekend at Silverstone, the drivers said they didn't get the most out of the car in Quali, but we all know Ferrari race pace is better than its Quali(one lap) pace. Also the reliability update Merc introduced a race or two ago has been filtered down to the customer teams, which I believe is allowing them to turn the engines up more without fear of reliability issues. I suppose we won't see any more tokens used until Monza but Ferrari need to introduce a PU update soon.

Ferrari is going backward because they still do not know how to move forward. Check the facts please.

The little story about the race pace is very repetitive and annoying. It is obvious that pace is only a relevant concept in F1 motor racing or any motor racing, when looked at on a relative basis. DOH !

And for sure on that basis, the one that matters, Ferrari is going backward.

One thing Ferrari has learned though, but you still need to grasp, is that race pace is meaningless without strong qualifying performance. I mean, obviously.

Silent Storm

I think this car is basically a improved version of last year's chassis with the mistakes corrected. One can argue that it is Tombazis and Fry's design with little to no input from Allison and I doubt he would like to continue developing this platform.

The car still has understeer and lack of traction but not as worse as last year. But the chassis is flawed and performance varies from track to track and low to high temperature so it's better to ditch this and start on a new design than spend time correcting/improving this and that's what Ferrari are doing they are bring small updates which can be carried to new car.

People are also forgetting that this is a transitional year for Ferrari with new people and everything like Mclaren. Seb has no realistic chance to fight for WDC and finishing 2nd or 3rd in WCC makes no difference to a team like Ferrari so why push for updates?

I don't remember where I read it but Allison said they are shifting to new factory. Don't know if it was last year or this year but he said it would have an effect on development of this years car.
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…