Silly season 2016

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
f1316

Re: Silly season 2016

I'd like to see Perez and raffaele marciello in Haas, but only assuming Hulk goes to Ferrari (my preference), if not hulk at haas. Opens up two force india seats for the likes of the mclaren youngsters.

I don't believe Haas are going to go 100% with Ferrari drivers but think their input will be significant. If not marciello then would be fun to see the press attention a danika Patrick or other high profile us driver would get.

AliMadsen

iotar__

I'm 100% serious: it's less weird for me than him being linked with Williams. Bottas to Ferrari rumours, source is IMO not particularly credible but the amount is the same as in earlier rumours http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/5343 ... [quote]But Blick's Benoit claims that the deal may have fallen through after Ferrari categorically ruled out paying Williams the EUR 12-18 million it was reportedly demanding for the young Finn's release."This is not football," Blick quoted Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne as saying, "so we should leave these (sorts of) transfer fees there."[/quote]
If true it's a bit weird from Williams, they deserve some money but reasonable amount would be 2-3 million, maybe 4. It's a market price so maybe they know it better? if they'd only hire me because Bottas was too expensive I wouldn't go there (easy for me to say :-) ), they should get Hulkenberg or even Ricciardo, they may even keep Raikkonen, I don't care. It would be a fitting end for the current weird state of F1 driver circus.

Jonnycraig

Wolff says that Wehrlein will be in F1 next season, probably at FI. Ocon will replace him in DTM and as Mercs test driver.
ME4ME wrote:It isn't certain Raikkonen will be dropped by Ferrari, nor is it certain (or even likely) that Hulkenberg would quit F1 all together and go to WEC.

Haas has stated although they are close to Ferrari, they aren't a B-team and will make decisions themself that suits the team. Mclaren would still own their drivers so they haven't got much to lose - they can only gain by offering their juniors some experience after which they can be put in a Mclaren for 2017. I think Haas would very much like an extremly talented guy like Vandoorne besides a experienced driver like Gutierrez.
Eh? I never said Raikonnen was certain to be dropped.

You said Haas should/would wait for a 'big name' to become available, but there aren't any likely to do so, other than perhaps Raikonnen. As for Hulkenberg, do you seriously believe he will drop to the back of the field, trundling around with the Manor's? He's turned down offers at the back in the past and certainly will do again.

Haas are running a Ferrari engine with Ferrari technical support. There is 0% chance that a McLaren young driver is going to be put in the car and given all that technical insight into a competitors engine and logistics, even if Haas desperately wanted to.

Vandoorne will go to Manor next season when they take the Honda engine.

Rossi has been a Haas driver for ages now. Haas funded his third driver role and aborted race seat at Marussia in Belgium, and Haas is funding his drive with Racing Engineering in GP2.

ME4ME

Jonnycraig wrote:Wolff says that Wehrlein will be in F1 next season, probably at FI. Ocon will replace him in DTM and as Mercs test driver.
ME4ME wrote:It isn't certain Raikkonen will be dropped by Ferrari, nor is it certain (or even likely) that Hulkenberg would quit F1 all together and go to WEC.

Haas has stated although they are close to Ferrari, they aren't a B-team and will make decisions themself that suits the team. Mclaren would still own their drivers so they haven't got much to lose - they can only gain by offering their juniors some experience after which they can be put in a Mclaren for 2017. I think Haas would very much like an extremly talented guy like Vandoorne besides a experienced driver like Gutierrez.
Eh? I never said Raikonnen was certain to be dropped.

You said Haas should/would wait for a 'big name' to become available, but there aren't any likely to do so, other than perhaps Raikonnen. As for Hulkenberg, do you seriously believe he will drop to the back of the field, trundling around with the Manor's? He's turned down offers at the back in the past and certainly will do again.

Haas are running a Ferrari engine with Ferrari technical support. There is 0% chance that a McLaren young driver is going to be put in the car and given all that technical insight into a competitors engine and logistics, even if Haas desperately wanted to.

Vandoorne will go to Manor next season when they take the Honda engine.

Rossi has been a Haas driver for ages now. Haas funded his third driver role and aborted race seat at Marussia in Belgium, and Haas is funding his drive with Racing Engineering in GP2.
Dude basically everything you say, you state as a fact. You don't know anything about Vandoorne going to Manor, or even Manor taking Honda engines. It is possible yes, but don't write it as it's a done deal and you know all about it.

As for Hulkenberg, he could very well stay at Force India. I never said he would join a backmarker.

About the Mclaren junior drivers, well I disagree. It's unlikely maybe, but possible. Mclaren will probably be desperate at the end of the season to get them a seat.
Also there is no reason for them to pick their drivers now. Gutierrez won't go anywhere, they can wait and sign him up at the end of the season. It would be more clever to wait and see what Ferrari does, if they keep Raikkonen or replace him, and how that effects the driver market and if there is any high profile driver left out without a drive.
Now tell me that isn't true. And why.

PlatinumZealot

ME4ME wrote:
Also there is Mclaren. If they take up Botton on his option for next year, they would desperately want to place Magnussen and/or Vandoorne somewhere so they could race.
Hmm.. If Button gets that Willy seat he is taking it. He is smart enough to know by now that even though Macca driver's are allowed to race, Alonso WILL be de-facto number 1 next year. Button will never win a title with Mclaren. He will be lucky if he is allowed to win a race even. Remember Button is the old geezer they wanted to drop but decided against it because he has his use developing the grey donkey this year.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Manoah2u

PlatinumZealot wrote:
ME4ME wrote:
Also there is Mclaren. If they take up Botton on his option for next year, they would desperately want to place Magnussen and/or Vandoorne somewhere so they could race.
Hmm.. If Button gets that Willy seat he is taking it. He is smart enough to know by now that even though Macca driver's are allowed to race, Alonso WILL be de-facto number 1 next year. Button will never win a title with Mclaren. He will be lucky if he is allowed to win a race even. Remember Button is the old geezer they wanted to drop but decided against it because he has his use developing the grey donkey this year.
But then @ Williams, Jenson is going to race in a car that has a Mercedes powerplant in the back and under NO circumstance AMG Mercedes is going to allow Williams to beat the Works Team in the WCC and WDC.

So Button is going to be able to race a Williams for pos 3 or 4 if he's lucky and they're able to beat Ferrari.
Or he can stay with Mclaren and hope that they improve enough with Honda to see him battle for 1st or 2nd, depending on how Alonso's races pan out.
He could, perhaps, but highly unlikely, end up at Ferrari, where i'd expect his chances to race for 1st or 2nd are bigger then with Mclaren - reminding that Mclaren has a bigger hill to climb than Maranello. AND, I wouldn't be surprised if Button would enjoy being a Ferrari driver.
Last but not least; how about RedBull Aston Martin Mercedes in the future? If Ricciardo smells a spot at Williams or Ferrari, or perhaps even Merc, and Kvyat doesn't up his game, I could see RedBull going for a Button-Verstappen combo.

RedBull had most success with a young gun + fast and stable experienced driver. Aero is going to play into their hands again in a forthyear and engine development will more or less halt.

I think opting for RedBull would hold a positive change for Button as i think it's fairly clear his enjoyment with Mclaren is wearing down and the grey-corporate environment @ Macca isn't really looking like a 'happy family' place.
The Button-Hamilton combo imho was a great time at Mclaren and worked perfectly. Since Hamilton's replacement it's been downhilling ever since.

I'm not sure of Button going to williams. He could, but then again, 2 old drivers @ Williams is something i dont see happening that fast.

@ RedBull button also would be more or less guaranteed to have a better time simply because of fellow activities within the RedBull family. I don't know Marko's stance against Button though, that could play a huge role. And i could see button doing some LM whilst @ RedBull.

Ferrari would be a good possibility too, again, young gun with experience. Button has great quality but then again would he be an improvement over Kimi? And would Ferrari go with Bottas over Button or vise versa?
I do think Ferrari would boost JB's morale by a huge amount. RedBull would, though a bit less id' say, but boost aswell.
Williams perhaps a bit, but would provide in any case a happier environment.

I dont believe in the Button @ Top Gear career switch. I think it's more of a PR stunt.
It would also drastically end button's racing career. I don't think he would have time doing WEC + Top Gear or LM + TG.
So he'd go from dwindled F1 career to a scandal-plagued and unfavoured new Top Gear set-up where he could be ditched after just a year when BBC calls it quits and end up with virtually nothing.

If Button would go presenting i would rather see him fortify the Sky team. I could even see him become Team owner or something like that. I could see him @ RedBull alongside Horner running RedBull Aston Martin F1 Team - Powered by AMG.
Developing Aston Martin sportscars, the Newey sportscar and promoting all at the same time as being a crucial part of the RedBull team.
Don't forget Jenson has a wealth of experience and knowledge in F1 to benefit from.
And at the meantime, he can do some WEC/LM races and his triathlons.

So conclusion?

Button TV host? no.
Button driving in 2016-2017 in F1? Yes.
Button F1 Team leader @ RedBull in 2017-2018? Yes.

either way i think we could expect a good amount of F1 drivers to 'retire' from F1 the coming 2-3 years.
Raikkonen, Massa, Button, Alonso.

Alonso > WEC + LM
Raikkonen > Same/total retirement
Massa > Indy/Nascar
Button > WEC + LM / Team Leader.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Jonnycraig

ME4ME wrote:Dude basically everything you say, you state as a fact. You don't know anything about Vandoorne going to Manor, or even Manor taking Honda engines. It is possible yes, but don't write it as it's a done deal and you know all about it.

As for Hulkenberg, he could very well stay at Force India. I never said he would join a backmarker.

About the Mclaren junior drivers, well I disagree. It's unlikely maybe, but possible. Mclaren will probably be desperate at the end of the season to get them a seat.
Also there is no reason for them to pick their drivers now. Gutierrez won't go anywhere, they can wait and sign him up at the end of the season. It would be more clever to wait and see what Ferrari does, if they keep Raikkonen or replace him, and how that effects the driver market and if there is any high profile driver left out without a drive.
Now tell me that isn't true. And why.
Hulkenberg isn't staying at Force India. Wehrlein is going there from Mercedes, and they need Perez's money. Those are both 100% fact.

Manor taking Honda power from next season is also the worst kept rumour in the paddock.

As for why they would wait, what is there to wait for? They signed 'their' driver in Rossi 12 months ago, and have been funding him ever since, 100% fact. The only decision they had left to make was Gutierrez or Vergne from Ferrari, which was made for them when Vergne stated he had no interest in returning to F1 racing at the back.

They can tease for a few months more and get some free PR, sure, but when Mexican journalists have already told all and sundry that Gutierrez has signed for the second seat, it's a bit of a pointless exercise, especially with Haas intending to have their cars out shaking down by December.

NAPI10

FI may offer FP1 outing to Wehrlein but replacing Hulk for race seat seems farfetched.
Unless, Hulk not interested to drive for them….

iotar__

NAPI10 wrote:FI may offer FP1 outing to Wehrlein but replacing Hulk for race seat seems farfetched.
Unless, Hulk not interested to drive for them….
Le Mans? Force India's side does not make sense, how much debt must FI have to allow that :wink:, maybe Williams for Bottas? If true Mercedes is turning into Red Bull pushing unprepared and not that good own drivers into F1. What did Vehrlein achieve to be even considered apart from being German and associated with Merc? As if three Red Bull drivers that are learning and not performing wasn't enough.

There must be something valuable marketing wise because now Renault is announcing their own program and ditching WsR. It can't be talent because they ignore potential talent all the time Di Resta, Frijns, Bianchi, Grosjean, Da Costa etc. I guess every time something happens a name goes into media along with parent company's name plus some local effects?

Schuttelberg

Force India is run by Vijay Mallya. He's not the type to give race seats for money. If Hulkenberg doesn't get the Ferrari drive and he wants to be a Force India, the doctor won't let him go. I don't think Wolff has the power to decide FI's future. If he thinks, he will be able to muscle Wehrlein into a FI seat just because he provides engines to them, he's mistaken. Or may be, the forum members here are.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

rayden

If ferrari want 2 special drivers then they need to put all their eggs in the Ric basket and go hard at breaking his red bull contract. If they want a no2 to compliment vettel then i think hulk/bottas would be better options.

aral

rayden wrote:If ferrari want 2 special drivers then they need to put all their eggs in the Ric basket and go hard at breaking his red bull contract. If they want a no2 to compliment vettel then i think hulk/bottas would be better options.
well, hulk and bottas are both better drivers than ricciardo. at least they do not make stupid and rash moves repeatedly in a race. Ricciardo is even being outshone by kvyatt.

Moose

gilgen wrote:
rayden wrote:If ferrari want 2 special drivers then they need to put all their eggs in the Ric basket and go hard at breaking his red bull contract. If they want a no2 to compliment vettel then i think hulk/bottas would be better options.
well, hulk and bottas are both better drivers than ricciardo. at least they do not make stupid and rash moves repeatedly in a race. Ricciardo is even being outshone by kvyatt.
*cough* 51 points *cough* 45 points *cough*.

It seems like if you want a driver to challenge Vettel, then hiring the driver that ground him into the dirt and beat him in pretty much every way is probably a good plan.