Silly season 2016

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
superdowg316

Re: Silly season 2016

Basically what to take from this year:

-2016 will be the same as 2015 apart from some livery changes and a new team
-2017 is when all hell will break loose depending on if Ferrari, Red Bull, Williams and McLaren claw back their deficits on Mercedes and what new regulations may or may not be introduced.
Friendship with Honda ended, Renault is my new (and more reliable) friend.

NathanOlder

ESPImperium wrote:The Button contract is dependant on where he finishes relative to Alonso at the end of the season. If he finishes ahead of Alonso his contract renewal must happen, however if its closely behind Alonso, its down to the team and if its over a certain percentage behind, it doesn't happen. If the first two scenarios happen, its up to a €4m increase in wages for 2016, as he took a pay cut from €15m to €8m for this year.

I am still of the opinion that Mclaren-Honda will have Alonso and Button next year, however Magnussen will be seated at Force India-Mercedes and Vandoorne at Manor-Honda.

Until i see the results at the end of the year, and how Manor survive to the end of the year with how early Vandoorne can tie up the GP2 title, and with 160 maximum points up for grabs, he could have it wrapped up in Russia or Bahrain 2 if he gets slower toward the business end. I think Vandoorne will be in the Manor before the end of the year, for a couple of races, maybe four tops, like Austin onwards. If not he will have some FP1 sessions at the least with them.

Hasn't Toto Wolff stated that Pascal Wehrlein is almost certain to be on the grid next year, so where would he fit in. Surely in a Mercedes Customer team?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

LionKing wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:The Telegraph claim that due to Button being due a £4m payrise if kept on next season, Magnusson is likely to return.
I am sure if that is the only issue, they would ask Button to reduce the salary.
As stated in the article, McLaren, like most teams are allegedly suffering some liquidity issues, and Magnusson brings funding with him, along with Ron Dennis being a huge fan. Again, as stated in the article, Dennis wanted Magnusson this year but was overruled by the board.
NathanOlder wrote: Hasn't Toto Wolff stated that Pascal Wehrlein is almost certain to be on the grid next year, so where would he fit in. Surely in a Mercedes Customer team?
Wehrlein will drive for Forde India.

aral
aral

Jonnycraig wrote:
Not if the talks between FI and Renault are completed satisfactorily!

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

gilgen wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:
Not if the talks between FI and Renault are completed satisfactorily!
Renault are looking to enter in 2017...

Phillyred
Phillyred

I don't really follow GP2, but this Vandoorne fella is just amazing. Would be a shame to see him at a subpar team. As far as Button/Alonso is concerned I really feel Button is on equal footing with Alonso this season especially considering his qualifying performance. Then again, perhaps Button will just want to bow out gracefully rather stick it out one last year with a fledgling team.

iotar__

Phillyred wrote:As far as Button/Alonso is concerned I really feel Button is on equal footing with Alonso this season especially considering his qualifying performance. Then again, perhaps Button will just want to bow out gracefully rather stick it out one
last year with a fledgling team.
Making such statement based on current McLaren performance and reliability is rather brave. It reminds me of someone in a race thread counting "2:0 to Button" and it later turned out that Alonso had half an engine at his disposal. I don't care if they keep him or not but Button has been at best solid (not enough) and more and more mistake prone in the last 3-4 seasons, check starts in 2013 and most of wheel to wheel. They made a bad decision keeping him instead of Perez.
Jonnycraig wrote:Wehrlein will drive for Forde India.
Source and who will be the second driver Hulkenberg or Perez? Anyway I doubt it, FI can't be that desperate and Mercedes so keen on making F1 worse and worse [-o<

mattylwd
mattylwd

A dutch newspaper picked up a rumor from the Italian newpaper ' La Gazzetta dello Sport' that Max Verstappen will drive with Ferrari in 2017.

Source:
http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1020/Formule-1/a ... rari.dhtml

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

2016 as i see it now:

Mercedes AMG: 44] HAM / 6] ROS
Scuderia Ferrari: 5] VET / 7] RAI
Williams-Mercedes: 19] MAS / 77] BOT
Red Bull-Mercedes: 3] RIC / 26] KVJ
Renault F1 Team: 8] GRO / 27] HUL
Force India-Mercedes: 11] PER / 20] MAG
Scuderia Toro Rosso-Ferrari: 33] VES / 55] SAI
Sauber-Ferrari: 9] ERI / 12] NAS
McLaren-Honda: 14] ALO / 22] BUT
Manor-Honda: 28] STE / ??] VAN
HAAS-Ferrari: 21] GUT / ??] ???

2017 id guess there will be a 12th team on the grid to run Renault power. But its too early to predict.

Schuttelberg

ESPImperium wrote:2016 as i see it now:

Mercedes AMG: 44] HAM / 6] ROS
Scuderia Ferrari: 5] VET / 7] RAI
Williams-Mercedes: 19] MAS / 77] BOT
Red Bull-Mercedes: 3] RIC / 26] KVJ
Renault F1 Team: 8] GRO / 27] HUL
Force India-Mercedes: 11] PER / 20] MAG
Scuderia Toro Rosso-Ferrari: 33] VES / 55] SAI
Sauber-Ferrari: 9] ERI / 12] NAS
McLaren-Honda: 14] ALO / 22] BUT
Manor-Honda: 28] STE / ??] VAN
HAAS-Ferrari: 21] GUT / ??] ???

2017 id guess there will be a 12th team on the grid to run Renault power. But its too early to predict.
I heard rumors suggesting Grosjean will be partnered by Perez and not Hulkenberg. :(
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Schuttelberg

I don't know the etiquette around here of opening a thread about something, so I'm just going to ask over here-

Does anyone else feel that Bottas is very bitter about the Ferrari deal being off the table? When he said earlier in the year that it would be difficult to win in a Williams, I was certain that he had signed!

I might be wrong, but before I get flamed for this, it's just a personal opinion that he's sounding a bit bitter about it. I believe he's a solid driver, but I'm quite content he didn't land the seat at Ferrari. Probably because I'm dying to see Ricciardo-Vettel Round 2.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

iotar__

Schuttelberg wrote:I don't know the etiquette around here of opening a thread about something, so I'm just going to ask over here-

Does anyone else feel that Bottas is very bitter about the Ferrari deal being off the table? When he said earlier in the year that it would be difficult to win in a Williams, I was certain that he had signed!

I might be wrong, but before I get flamed for this, it's just a personal opinion that he's sounding a bit bitter about it. I believe he's a solid driver, but I'm quite content he didn't land the seat at Ferrari. Probably because I'm dying to see Ricciardo-Vettel Round 2.
- I think it's a good place to discuss it. I am not content, literally dozen of drivers would be a step up and would guarantee more interesting F1 racing, Bottas was second on this list and Ricciardo around 6th or 7th
- I agree on two accounts - deal was close and Bottas is disappointed

Now the question is who pulled the plug
- what Symonds said clearly indicated Ferrari wanted him and although there's a small chance it was done to disrupt a competitor (like Lotus) I think they meant it
- if it was Williams saying either crazy amount of money or no deal I'd be annoyed with them. I thought it was an invitation to negotiations. Annoyed but not bitter - Bottas has a contract he signed, very good car for three seasons (inc. 2016) in a row and a chance in 2017.
- I wouldn't think it was Wolff until he started talking and started talking nonsense. Firstly why talk at all? "I'm not involved with Bottas directly but..." They love to talk. Secondly he claimed there's no reason to go to Ferrari. Oh really? Better car ATM, more money and much better perspectives: bigger budget, privileged financial and decision making position in F1 and most importantly the only other full chassis-engine manufacturer. The only downside - political games with drivers and preferences. Two days later Raikkonen stays. I'm not saying it's certain but it was weird and if it's true Bottas has no reason to be bitter, as they say: "he's only in F1 because Wolff is his manager" :oops:

mertol

I don't think Bottas has better perspectives at Ferrari. Unless he can beat Vettel easily, he will be second driver forever. And I don't think he can.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

I have doubts over Bottas, is he a potential WDC? Potential being the word here. Id say yes, however, the thing i am getting from him is that he will be another driver with unfulfilled potential. Is he beating Massa definitively? The answer is no, in 2014 he beat Massa, but Massa had more blue ribband performances, he could have won two GPs (Canada/Abu Dhabi) if for the greater good with a pit stop in Canada that took a second too long he got stuck behind traffic, and with traffic again in the latter stages against a ailing Hamilton he would have won both. Is he pasting Massa against the wall? No.

We know Massa was capable against Alonso, and Alonso beat Raikkonen and Raikkonen is as good as Bottas in the WDC table at the moment. So i say Bottas is looking to be a capable number 2 for the next few years in a top team. Id say he is as good as Grosjean or a Hulkenberg at the moment. The only drivers i see that are exciting are Riccardo and Verstappen, next to that I'm looking to Nasr then id give Mehri a chance then after that GP2 with Vandoorne and Lynn.

I have doubts over Bottas, he isn't consistent and when he could do something spectacular he just won't. I think Ferrari have taken Raikkonen as a year long stop gap to assess the market. This time next year things will be different i think, Williams will have two seats free, There will be a seat at McLaren, and Renault may be starting to get its act together.

Things will look different next year, a lot different. And with the 2017 technical changes, drivers will need their crystal ball out again. Who knows, Mclaren may ace their chassis and Honda may have eventually got their act together and aced all the whole package in the power train.

langwadt
langwadt

Jonnycraig wrote:
LionKing wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:The Telegraph claim that due to Button being due a £4m payrise if kept on next season, Magnusson is likely to return.
I am sure if that is the only issue, they would ask Button to reduce the salary.
As stated in the article, McLaren, like most teams are allegedly suffering some liquidity issues, and Magnusson brings funding with him, along with Ron Dennis being a huge fan. Again, as stated in the article, Dennis wanted Magnusson this year but was overruled by the board.
I'm not sure Magnussen can bring a lot of funding, but if they only have to pay him a 1-2 mill and Button wants 15
that's going to make a difference