PAL-V, another car that flys

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Andres125sx

PAL-V, another car that flys

I think this sort of hybrids will never be succesful, since you´ll need a pilot certificate and that rule out probably 98% of drivers (thanks god! :mrgreen: ). Even so I admire the effort and the gizmo

To me this is one of the best I´ve seen. This hybrids usually are a mix between a car and a plane, and that´s a problem because you need a runway wich is not that easy to find. Safety in case of engine failure is another problem for planes, but a gyrocopter needs very little runway, stall speed and take off speed are so low (Min Speed for level flight 50kmh/31mph) it can take off and land everywhere (165m for take off and only 30m for landing :shock: ), and safety is much better as it can land safely even with the engine stopped almost everywhere thanks to the short rollover for landing

Car configuration with tilting body is also interesting. Drawback obviously is the price, $300.000

http://pal-v.com/

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20140516 ... flying-car

Some basic specs:

Capacity: 2 persons
Mass Empty: 680kg
Max Power: 230hp
Top speed: 180km/h (112mph, 97kts) both as a car or flying
Range: 1200km (750 miles) as a car, 350-500km (220-315 miles) flying

Just_a_fan

Re: PAL-V, another car that flys

It's not a flying car, it's a road legal helicopter! :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

AnthonyG

Just_a_fan wrote:It's not a flying car, it's a road legal helicopter! :lol:
Gyrocopter=/= helicopter
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

wesley123

I still don't get what the point is of these road car/helicopter(or gyrocopter, i don't know the difference) is. I would say "because you can" but that still doesn't really answer what the point of this is.

These things are ugly, hugely impractical and seem to be something only a rich guy can afford. But guess what, the rich guy will just buy a heli and a car.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Andres125sx

Just_a_fan wrote:It's not a flying car, it's a road legal gyrocopter! :lol:
Corrected, now agree :D

Andres125sx

wesley123 wrote:I still don't get what the point is of these road car/helicopter(or gyrocopter, i don't know the difference) is.
http://www.pilotfriend.com/training/fli ... ronaut.htm

Please don´t ask me for more clarifications, I´ve never fully understood how it work, the reason the blades moving forward create less drag than the ones moving backward, or the reason that drag is enough to create enough lift :oops:
wesley123 wrote: I would say "because you can" but that still doesn't really answer what the point of this is.

These things are ugly, hugely impractical and seem to be something only a rich guy can afford. But guess what, the rich guy will just buy a heli and a car.
Agree, even when this is the most practical I´ve seen

Anycase cars were for rich people too, who knows if in a distant future, when planes don´t need a pilot...

Just_a_fan

AnthonyG wrote:
Gyrocopter=/= helicopter
True, it's not as good, for a start. #-o

I did think of putting "gyrocopter" in my post but thought I'd bait a little trap :oops: . I expected autogyro to dive in to be honest.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

autogyro

Haha
I prefer to call it an Autogyro/car although gyrocopter seems to have been accepted these days.
Like all these combination machines, the design over compromises the purpose of the aircraft and the car.
The performance in both modes is reduced.
I do not agree that an autogyro is inferior to a helicopter.
These are two entirely different types of aircraft.

Andres125sx

Just_a_fan wrote:
AnthonyG wrote:
Gyrocopter=/= helicopter
True, it's not as good, for a start. #-o

I did think of putting "gyrocopter" in my post but thought I'd bait a little trap :oops: . I expected autogyro to dive in to be honest.
Define "good"

Autogyros are safer than helicopters, they can continue autorotating even with the engine stopped and land safely, while helicopters need some height to autorotate, and even so it´s a very dangerous maneouver, on a gyrocopter it´s flying normally

And I think they´re better at fuel efficiency and need much less power to fly than helicopters.

Like saying cars are better than bikes, better for what? IMHO for this purpose they´re perfect, don´t need the runway of planes so they´re much more practical, and are much safer than helis in case of an engine failure.