Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ChrisF1

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

They can't build a car for regulations we do not yet know... :roll:

mclaren111

Exactly. There is talk already to postpone changes to 2018.

As long as lack of engine noise is fixed for next year that is also acceptable.

Gives McHonda bit more time

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

GoranF1

The exhaust is still "log" but it seems different.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Edax

rgava wrote:I don't think bearings are the problem for the MGU-H to reach 125.000 rpm. There are several bearing thechnologies to work on this range.
For me, the problem is the generator itself.
125.000 rpm in 25 mm radius meant 437 g of centrifugal acceleration. It's very hard to keep rotor components on site with this acceleration in a high temperature environment.
For 25 mm that is no problem. That is about the size you find in a passenger car and indeed they spin well over 100krpm. And there are a number of alloys, single crystals and ceramics which give you a pretty good weight over temperature resistance ratio.

If it is indeed an axial turbine then I can imagine bearings become a problem. For a radial turbine the blades are basically fixed to a disk. That is by nature a very stiff construction allowing to keep the disk and blades thin. For an axial turbine the blades are suspended. Getting them stiff means adding weight, putting more load on the bearing. Also you may have less real estate behind the turbine wheel to place the bearring. Gut feeling would be that the bearing requirements are more stringent for an axial than a radial turbine.

PlatinumZealot

It is not an axial turbine though. Check the engine thread to see a diagram of it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

trinidefender

PlatinumZealot wrote:It is not an axial turbine though. Check the engine thread to see a diagram of it.
Everything was shown points to there not being an axial compressor, an axial turbine is still possible. An axial turbine doesn't have to look much different from a radial turbine from the outside. The airflow can still enter through a circular chamber as on a radial turbine once it is then run down a tube the turns the airflow horizontally to flow through the turbine.

Link to whatever diagram you are talking about?
Last edited by trinidefender on 03 Sep 2015, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.

Abarth

How are you going to achieve a PR of >2.5 with an axial compressor within the current regulations?
5.1.6 Pressure charging may only be effected by the use of a sole single stage compressor linked to a sole single stage exhaust turbine by a shaft assembly parallel to the engine crankshaft and within 25mm of the car centre line. The shaft must be designed so as to ensure that the shaft assembly, the compressor and the turbine always rotate about a common axis and at the same angular velocity, an electrical motor generator (MGU-H) may be directly coupled to it.

Thunder

RW gets skinnier that the Spa Version: https://twitter.com/RoboCoP_G/status/639341276316479488 There's also this Picture, not sure if they use the Old Nose for Pit Stop Training or if it has less drag and is considered to be tested..... Front Wing seems to be the low drag one from Spa.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Silent Storm

Low downforce rear wing for Mclaren Honda https://twitter.com/albrodpul/status/639364802792550401
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

RicME85

Wow thats tiny.
Do you reckon they are trying to shed as much drag and downforce to compensate for the PU?
Could be a wild ride with the rear end.

PlatinumZealot

trinidefender wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:It is not an axial turbine though. Check the engine thread to see a diagram of it.
Everything was shown points to their not being an axial compressor, an axial turbine is still possible. An axial turbine doesn't have to look much different from a radial turbine from the outside. The airflow can still enter through a circular chamber as on a radial turbine once it is then run down a tube the turns the airflow horizontally to flow through the turbine.

Link to whatever diagram you are talking about?
There are photos of inside the turbine housing in the honda engine thread. It looks like the inside of a conventional turbine housing.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mclaren111

I do not see an Exhaust Pipe on these pictures :shock: :o :?

horse

mclaren111 wrote:I do not see an Exhaust Pipe on these pictures
Good spot!
RicME85 wrote:Do you reckon they are trying to shed as much drag and downforce to compensate for the PU?
I don't see the point in them playing games. If they can't deploy ERS for the whole lap then they will be passed, low-drag, high-df, whichever way they set up the car.

If they are running less wing than other teams, I can only assume that they have good rear downforce anyway.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu