Silly season 2016

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ME4ME

Re: Silly season 2016

I agree. At the British GP he did well, but at no point this year did i think that Kvyat was better than Ricciardo. Especially at Hungary were people were praising Kvyat, it bugged me because he wasn't quick at any time that weekend. He was struggling but somehow lucked into a good position. To me he hasn't done any better than Raikkonen has at Ferrari, thus my skepticism of him being allowed to stay.

Gerhardsa

I agree.
If I were RB, and I was staying in F1 for the foreseeable future, Verstappen would be alongside Ricciardo next year already at RB, and I would lock him down for a good few years.

There we will see how good he really is, especially if RB gets reliable and (I'd say quicker engines than now) good engines.

I rate Ricciardo one of the top 4 on the grid now alongside Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel, so that will mean Max is up against the very best. Should be interesting, although I expect Ricciardo to come out tops over a season

Jonnycraig

ME4ME wrote:Especially at Hungary were people were praising Kvyat, it bugged me because he wasn't quick at any time that weekend. He was struggling but somehow lucked into a good position.
So kind of like Ricciardo at Hungary last year then :wink:

bauc

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/138 ... es-whinges

A bit OT. but what a great article, spot on!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

djos

Jonnycraig wrote:
ME4ME wrote:Especially at Hungary were people were praising Kvyat, it bugged me because he wasn't quick at any time that weekend. He was struggling but somehow lucked into a good position.
Except that Ricciardo actually won the race by being up the front all weekend and so was able to capitalise on Mercedes screw ups.
"In downforce we trust"

Jonnycraig

djos wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:
Except that Ricciardo actually won the race by being up the front all weekend and so was able to capitalise on Mercedes screw ups.
Eh? He was out qualified by Vettel & Bottas, was jumped by Alonso and was so far off the pace in the race that when the SC came out he was able to immediately enter the pits, whilst the front runners had to do a full lap behind the safety car :lol: :lol:

djos

Silly season 2016

Jonnycraig wrote:
Eh? He was out qualified by Vettel & Bottas, was jumped by Alonso and was so far off the pace in the race that when the SC came out he was able to immediately enter the pits, whilst the front runners had to do a full lap behind the safety car :lol: :lol:
Ricciardo led the race on 4 separate occasions (L10, 15, 39, 68) after qualifying 4th, he was also in the top 4 for most of the practice sessions so to claim he didn't deserve it based solely on qualifying 4th and having a bad start is idiotic.
Last edited by Steven on 18 Oct 2015, 09:28, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Removed personal comments
"In downforce we trust"

Sevach

So Bernie twists the arms of one of the big boys?
Red Bull goes to Viry and begs for forgiveness?
Red Bull quits?

Jonnycraig

djos wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:
Ricciardo led the race on 4 separate occasions (L10, 15, 39, 68) after qualifying 4th, he was also in the top 4 for most of the practice sessions so to claim he didn't deserve it based solely on qualifying 4th and having a bad start is idiotic.

I know you seem to hate Ricciardo (JEV fan?) But you need to get a grip on reality!
The safety car came out on lap 9. When he was way off the pace and suddenly catapulted to the lead because the faster cars had already passed the pit entry when the SC was called... :lol: :lol:

Without a perfectly timed SC, he'd have finished nowhere. Just as Kvyat would've finished nowhere at Hungary this year without a huge stroke of luck.

djos

Jonnycraig wrote: The safety car came out on lap 9. When he was way off the pace and suddenly catapulted to the lead because the faster cars had already passed the pit entry when the SC was called... :lol: :lol:

Without a perfectly timed SC, he'd have finished nowhere. Just as Kvyat would've finished nowhere at Hungary this year without a huge stroke of luck.
Seriously, go watch the race, you talk like a single safety car was what won him the race, it wasn't, there was a 2nd safety car in the mid 20's and Ricciardo pitted dropping back to about 6th as a result (most of the top 10 didnt).

Ricciardo only ended up back in the lead on lap 39 because he stopped later on lap 54 - this is why he won the race, he got his middle set of tires to out-last the leaders by a HUGE margin and then used his extremely fresh Softs to devastating effect passing both Hamilton and Alonso on-track!

That my jaded friend is all about talent!
"In downforce we trust"

iotar__

djos wrote:Seriously, go watch the race, you talk like a single safety car was what won him the race, it wasn't, there was a 2nd safety car in the mid 20's and Ricciardo pitted dropping back to about 6th as a result (most of the top 10 didnt).
Ricciardo only ended up back in the lead on lap 39 because he stopped later on lap 54 - this is why he won the race, he got his middle set of tires to out-last the leaders by a HUGE margin and then used his extremely fresh Softs to devastating effect passing both Hamilton and Alonso on-track!
No you go watch it ;-):
1. It weren't mostly Mercedes' screw ups but weather and safety car that made Ricciardo's win possible. No safety car and his 1st stop - no win, he finishes 4th-6th(?) no matter how well he drives.
2. Fourth in Q (Vettel 2nd) and sixth (? correct me) after start, behind Button, 6-8 s behind Alonso/Bottas/Vettel and 17 s behind Roberg before the pitstop/SC on 8-9th lap is not exactly "up the front all weekend". That's not talent either.
3. Hamilton overtake was a good one even with tyres difference the one on Alonso was a formality.
Comparisons to Kvyat Hun '15 would be warranted if there were team orders against him. Although Hungary '15 wasn't great at all Kvyat was still better than Ricciardo which says it all about both of them (Suzuka - the same).

About Verstappen hype again: can't you see that promoting him would not be based on performance but on the same criteria as Kvyat last season? Raw and unprepared driver from junior RB team with similar consequences. Differences: second driver which can be good or bad and TR '15 is much better car. Why not promote Sainz instead? He's not a chosen one which means that the "choice" was made before they got in the cars - just like with Vergne '14.

ESPImperium

At the rate that F1 is currently moving at, this will be the 2016 Red Bull-Fisher Price RB12:

Seriously, Red Bull should accept the 2015 Ferrari power plant and Toro Rosso should beg Honda for a supply, even if it costs them €50m across both teams. Unless Renault bite the bullet and supply them for 2016 with a largely updated power unit.

djos

iotar__ wrote:
djos wrote:Seriously, go watch the race, you talk like a single safety car was what won him the race, it wasn't, there was a 2nd safety car in the mid 20's and Ricciardo pitted dropping back to about 6th as a result (most of the top 10 didnt).
No you go watch it ;-):
1. It weren't mostly Mercedes' screw ups but weather and safety car that made Ricciardo's win possible. No safety car and his 1st stop - no win, he finishes 4th-6th(?) no matter how well he drives.
2. Fourth in Q (Vettel 2nd) and sixth (? correct me) after start, behind Button, 6-8 s behind Alonso/Bottas/Vettel and 17 s behind Roberg before the pitstop/SC on 8-9th lap is not exactly "up the front all weekend". That's not talent either.
3. Hamilton overtake was a good one even with tyres difference the one on Alonso was a formality.
Comparisons to Kvyat Hun '15 would be warranted if there were team orders against him. Although Hungary '15 wasn't great at all Kvyat was still better than Ricciardo which says it all about both of them (Suzuka - the same).
Mercedes got their strategy wrong, that's a screw up.
"In downforce we trust"

TAG

Best. Silly. Season. Ever! :P
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

PlatinumZealot

K-Mag has been dropped by McLaren in the most classiest of ways - on his birthday!

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3316 ... ren-split/

Nobody does it better than Uncle Ron. 8)
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏