Lotus F1 Team 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Lotus F1 Team 2015

basti313 wrote:Yes, Nissan is the rumor that is reported at the moment.
But I do not think, that there would be any sort of competitiveness with the Renault engine. The chassis is nowhere, no money and no progress. If they go for Nissan, I would not be surprised f they come up with a brand new Nissan engine, which is so different, that they could not build it by using tokens for the Renault. This would fit the non-development through the season by Renault.
The funny thing is if Nissan did an ICE from scratch it might just be miles better.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

stefan_ wrote:Alpine is a good idea, but I prefer the good old Renault name back as a team.
If they change the name of only one, either the car or the engine but keep the other as Renault will they still get historical payments at the end of the year?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ScottB

kptaylor wrote:Well, technically Nissan is a different manufacturer. They collaborate in the Renault-Nissan alliance with each owning 43% of the other, and with Daimler owning ~3%. Could they claim Nissan was a different entity from Renault? Maybe.
Maybe if the design was completely from scratch at a different facility with different people, yes. If it's another engine out of Renault's facility by their team... Doubt it!

ScottB

PlatinumZealot wrote:
stefan_ wrote:Alpine is a good idea, but I prefer the good old Renault name back as a team.
If they change the name of only one, either the car or the engine but keep the other as Renault will they still get historical payments at the end of the year?
I think you can change names without penalty as long as the rest of the teams agree? I'd imagine they'd be alright, particularly if the rumour of an agreement to give Renault the historic payments they wanted in exchange for continuing to supply Red Bull are true.

Sniffit

I heard that they were going to brand it Dacia.

//Sniffit in the thick of it ;)

dodds_turbo

ScottB wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
I think you can change names without penalty as long as the rest of the teams agree? I'd imagine they'd be alright, particularly if the rumour of an agreement to give Renault the historic payments they wanted in exchange for continuing to supply Red Bull are true.
Is this not the reason Manor are referred to as Manor Marussia by commentators? They have to officially mention that they are still/were the Marussia team (to collect prize money) but still want to call themselves something new.

ChrisF1

Is this the right thread to say that Lotus' cars are nowhere to be seen?
https://twitter.com/suttonimages/status ... 2447425536
EDIT:

Apparently they have special dispensation to miss scrutineering, as long as it is done before FP1 tomorrow.

Crates currently being unloaded.

F1NAC

Don't know if anyone posted but Bernie paid their bill for Abu Dhabi and will be tomorrow on scrutineering

skoop

i really hope the Renault takeover goes through. otherwise i don't think this team will exist much longer if it doesn't

iotar__

F1NAC wrote:Don't know if anyone posted but Bernie paid their bill for Abu Dhabi and will be tomorrow on scrutineering
It's loose change and their money anyway. Lotus mechanics that were grateful to Ecclestone for hospitality don't seem to understand that it's the same money that their team didn't get from results and participation which went to teams like McL and FOM.

So it looks like Renault will supply two teams, quite funny that brilliant business minds Marko and Mateschitz managed to get the same engine but at considerably higher price. Not so smart when not playing with marked cards. I wonder if the whole delay wasn't connected to Red Bull deal on top of squeezing the most from B.E. The cost is even more time lost to their competition while also helping it (Red Bull).

iotar__

About Ecclestone paying for Lotus http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/lotus ... ontent=www
:
Lopez also denied suggestions that the team had been bailed out by Ecclestone after its freight arrived late at Abu Dhabi.

Other teams are asking for their £10m advance. We haven't, at all," Lopez said. "I read that Bernie paid for everything here, which he didn't. He advanced by a couple of days out monthly payment, that's it.[

FrukostScones

whoop whoop!

hopefully they are tru and keep the Maldonator as promised!

http://www.f1technical.net/news/20201
Last edited by Steven on 04 Dec 2015, 00:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Linked to same PR on F1T
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

VFC_Cipher

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121434

I really hope 'Ol Bob gets a chance to return to his old team and give it a proper go. Seems he is looking for something new as of October 21. I am probably just being nostalgic as he has previously mentioned that a return to F1 was nearly impossible due to the extent of the injury to his hand. Maybe 5 years has healed it? :?: Who knows. Glad to have Renault back as a factory team, in Enstone, where they belong.

bill shoe

From a commercial point of view I think Renault are setting themselves up for failure. From a technical/competition point of view I think it's wonderful that this Enstone team once again have funding to bare their claws.

If you doubt the commercial prediction then remember that the GEN II investors have lost a fortune in this team. Renault is buying it from them for... a tiny shareholding in the business going forward. The only question is who's next to blow money via naïve optimism. Renault has raised their hand...

From a competitive point of view the team's great successes, though the product of many talented people, can be remembered by the successes of their drivers. So-- Toleman (Senna), Benneton (Schumacher), Renault (Alonso), Lotus (Raikkonen), and now Renault again (who's next hero?). Raikkonen didn't win a championship with Lotus, but he did win several races against several better funded teams. For sure the underdog success story of 2012-2013.

And finally, good riddance to the Lotus name, just a pure abstract brand that did no justice to the team and its history. I do like the Renault name much better because come success or failure the Renault company really has their ass on the line. Got to respect it.

OneAlex

bill shoe wrote: From a competitive point of view the team's great successes, though the product of many talented people, can be remembered by the successes of their drivers. So-- Toleman (Senna), Benneton (Schumacher), Renault (Alonso), Lotus (Raikkonen), and now Renault again (who's next hero?).
Wouldn't it be one hell of a story if Maldonado came good to become the next star of the team?

Almost certainly likely to lose points and get replaced for 2017, but you never know.