Renault PU vs Honda PU?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Cold Fussion

Re: Renault PU vs Honda PU?

hollus wrote:Juzh just brought an awesome post to the table in the 1.6L formula thread:
http://www.somersf1.co.uk/2015/11/power ... right.html
That settles how teams measure each other's performance. Triangulating changes in car attitude from the position of white lines in onboard videos is a bit more sofisticated than I had in mind! And even then:
It's not clear if that was a student project or not, example of what is possible or what they actually do. I would be very surprised if the teams did not have complete access to the GPS data for all cars (since they know where all the cars are on track) so inferring the position of the car seems unnecessary. Perhaps the GPS the cars use is not particularly accurate so they can get better positional data from video? As far as the technique they use, it's the obvious way to do it since the teams can very precisely measure the position of the track lines and markers.

Facts Only

hollus wrote:Juzh just brought an awesome post to the table in the 1.6L formula thread:
That settles how teams measure each other's performance. Triangulating changes in car attitude from the position of white lines in onboard videos is a bit more sofisticated than I had in mind! And even then:
Willem Toet wrote:Drag and horsepower are possible to distinguish but not perfectly...
And two more quotes regarding Honda in particular:
Willem Toet wrote:For example, when the Brawn team had to buy engines for 2009, they changed to a more powerful unit which did their championship hopes no harm at all.
Willem Toet wrote:...at BAR we were always told the car had too much drag. Later we learned, when the team changed engines, that there was a significant power deficit.
On behalf of Honda: Auch!
No surpirsie to anyone who worked in that 'area', 60bhp was the number often quoted.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

PlatinumZealot

Willem Toet wrote:Drag and horsepower are possible to distinguish but not perfectly...
And two more quotes regarding Honda in particular:
Willem Toet wrote:For example, when the Brawn team had to buy engines for 2009, they changed to a more powerful unit which did their championship hopes no harm at all.
Willem Toet wrote:...at BAR we were always told the car had too much drag. Later we learned, when the team changed engines, that there was a significant power deficit.
On behalf of Honda: Auch!
That William Toet article is gold right there!

=D>
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏