Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
GoranF1

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

Alonso: "Half of the car is next years philosophy"

i guess those half of parts are inner,not visible parts like suspension,cooling....because aero looks the same from those pics?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Thunder

First Pictures by AMuS:

New Front Wing (Upper Flap is different)

Top one is the new Version

Also @GoranF1: He talks about Parts and Pilososphy. My guess would be more Philisophy than Parts. Next Years car can be 100% new and still follow the same Philisophy. But seeing that their new Aero Design is only at 50% of what they want it to be gives hope that there is much more performance to find without even touching the PU.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

lkocev

Making reference to the sidepod outlet at the rear, it looks to me like it has been opened up a little bit. Low lying view of the floor in that area has a very 'wow' factor about it, just look at how extreme the undercut is, its so extreme it looks like it could be passing beneath the gearbox itself. Perhaps increased cooling requirement expected for next years PU is driving this, but the sidepod outlet looks different to me.

Interesting front wing change, the transition of the two profiles blending into a single profile on that upper 'flap' looks much more pronounced. I look at this front wing with awe for the CAD guys drawing it, there is so much surface complexity there, I expect it would be quite a nightmare to make mods for it too.

I wonder though, it seems McLaren have been slightly modifying the front wing at almost every grand prix of recent, I just wonder if that is really necessary? I suppose of the other hand, it could suggest that the overall design concept of the front wing yields quite consistent performance characteristics.

GoranF1

lkocev wrote:Making reference to the sidepod outlet at the rear, it looks to me like it has been opened up a little bit. Low lying view of the floor in that area has a very 'wow' factor about it, just look at how extreme the undercut is, its so extreme it looks like it could be passing beneath the gearbox itself. Perhaps increased cooling requirement expected for next years PU is driving this, but the sidepod outlet looks different to me.

Interesting front wing change, the transition of the two profiles blending into a single profile on that upper 'flap' looks much more pronounced. I look at this front wing with awe for the CAD guys drawing it, there is so much surface complexity there, I expect it would be quite a nightmare to make mods for it too.

I wonder though, it seems McLaren have been slightly modifying the front wing at almost every grand prix of recent, I just wonder if that is really necessary? I suppose of the other hand, it could suggest that the overall design concept of the front wing yields quite consistent performance characteristics.
I remember reading somewhere RB in the last few seasons had slightly different FW at almost every GP,so maybe this is part of Perer Prodrumou work philosophy,and Ron did say he will have absolute freedom in his department.

Sevach

Bodywork hugging the exhaust much tighter now.

And maybe some interaction between the bodywork and the rear suspension arm.

Hail22

Abu dhabi - Thursday

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Joseki

Sevach wrote:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CUwp4zxWEAIQUxa.jpg

Bodywork hugging the exhaust much tighter now.

And maybe some interaction between the bodywork and the rear suspension arm.

Brasil.

GoranF1

New rear suspension geometry on MP4-30 in AD.
https://twitter.com/RoboCoPJ/status/670016519053697025

DiogoBrand

Can we expect a Merc style FW next season? I mean, no one can know for sure what's best, but it seems the two most aerodinamically advanced teams are using it, so it must have one or two qualities to it, right?
Not to mention... it's f*****g beautiful!

Thunder

The Austin Wing already follows the Merc Philosophy.

The Picture you posted is from RB at the beginning of the Season which doesn't even follow that concept. So i'm not sure what the Point of it was.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

trinidefender

DiogoBrand wrote:Can we expect a Merc style FW next season? I mean, no one can know for sure what's best, but it seems the two most aerodinamically advanced teams are using it, so it must have one or two qualities to it, right?
https://www.formula1.com/content/fom-we ... medium.jpg
I actually find this funny. In 2013 everybody was banging on how Mclaren and others should copy the RedBull style front wing with the last element attached to the outer endplate. Now that McLaren has adopted that design idea that PP brought across (with the last element attached to the outer endplate) from RedBull everybody is off their rockers again saying that McLaren should copy the Merc style wing with a separated outer endplate and last wing element.

You guys crack me up, can never make up your minds.

turbof1

trinidefender wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:Can we expect a Merc style FW next season? I mean, no one can know for sure what's best, but it seems the two most aerodinamically advanced teams are using it, so it must have one or two qualities to it, right?
I actually find this funny. In 2013 everybody was banging on how Mclaren and others should copy the RedBull style front wing with the last element attached to the outer endplate. Now that McLaren has adopted that design idea that PP brought across (with the last element attached to the outer endplate) from RedBull everybody is off their rockers again saying that McLaren should copy the Merc style wing with a separated outer endplate and last wing element.

Next to the fact of course there's very little to pick between the red bull wing and the mercedes wing. They are fairly identical in terms of concepts and philosophies:

What Mclaren currently has, is a merc style wing. Unless you want an exact replica of the same wing, Diogobrand got exactly what he wants, as in currently now in the present. Just because the wing flaps look a tad different, does not mean they have different functions.

Both Mclaren and Red Bull have INDEPEDENTLY moved towards Mercedes this year.
#AeroFrodo

trinidefender

turbof1 wrote:
trinidefender wrote:

Next to the fact of course there's very little to pick between the red bull wing and the mercedes wing. They are fairly identical in terms of concepts and philosophies:
http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Mer ... 906292.jpg

http://img1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/McL ... 912224.jpg

What Mclaren currently has, is a merc style wing. Unless you want an exact replica of the same wing, Diogobrand got exactly what he wants, as in currently now in the present. Just because the wing flaps look a tad different, does not mean they have different functions.

Both Mclaren and Red Bull have INDEPEDENTLY moved towards Mercedes this year.
I wouldn't actually say so. The outer section of the Merc front wing is different from any other team. The opening, where the lowest element is that I was referring to as a tunnel of sorts previously, is completely different from any other team.

The other difference is the last topmost element of the McLaren wing connects with the outer endplate until about 2/3 the way up. The Merc wing and new RedBull wing have a space between the last outer wing element and the outer endplate. This will create a difference in airflows. That is one of the differences that people were moaning about.

turbof1

I wouldn't actually say so. The outer section of the Merc front wing is different from any other team. The opening, where the lowest element is that I was referring to as a tunnel of sorts previously, is completely different from any other team.
It follows the same philosophy. What we are seeing at Mercedes is just a more extreme application of the same concept. Same with the whether not connecting of the endplate/vertical fence with the trailing edge of the uppermost element. Yes it will create a different airflow pattern, but I don't really see how it will be vastly different. Rather, this looks to me like finetuning with the brake ducts when the wheels are turned.
#AeroFrodo

max_speed

did i miss any new updates mclaren bought ?.alonso within 1 second of mercedes on supersoft