[KVRC] Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

I want to put a porous media box as radiator into my car anyways for illustrative purposes anyways.
When it is done I can share the results with you.
Unfortunately I have injured my right hand, so currently CAD work is a bit difficult for me.
So it could take few days for me to get the CAD part done - or maybe someone can offer their help with the CAD part.

machin

variante wrote:This is how much the box would not fit:
As I say; That depends on the size and shape of the box... Some work would have to be done on determining a suitable size and shape... You could achieve more design freedom by having two cross-sections of mandated size (but any shape) separated by a given distance to represent the radiator volume... However that increases the workload for the person doing the compliance check, which was something I was trying to reduce...
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

AratzH

What kind of CAD help do you need LVDH?
MVRC -> TF

LVDH

Not much. Just need a duct in the mid section of my car from cooling inlet to outlet. And a box where the heat exchanger would be located that will serve as porous media for the CFD simulation.

CAEdevice

Here is my point of view (I think that is similar to LDVH idea). Considering that:

1) The simulation of the cooling ducts would allow much more design freedom (and most beatifuland different cars)
2) It is impossible to completely simulate the internal flow without simplifications and assumptions
3) A radiator template is necessary to avoid not realistic design of the radiotor itself (too small beacause too efficient or with an irregular shape, impossible to be built)

I would use a radiator template (in RED) that must be included in the carbody solid, defining two surfaces (internal to the sidepod, but still external to the CAD model) where to measure the integral of the pressure over the surface. The best way to simulate it would be to use a "porous" definition for the volume between these surfaces, but a simplified version of the simulation could include a fictional hole (diameter decided by the rules) that would generate the right pressure drop and where to directly measure the air flow (without passing through the computation of dp).

andylaurence

If it helps, this is the shape of a couple of Marussia ducts; 2013 left and 2014 right. I could find the whole setup for one year if required, so you could work out the cross-sectional area of the radiator and inlet/outlet.

pierlu99
pierlu99

Hi, I'm from Italy and I am a fan of F1 and more particularly of aerodynamics! I often read in this Forum bus when I saw this topic I decided to sign up immediately :D. I use sketchup from 3 Years and I'd like to know more about KVRC (Rule, setup in the various circuits,..).

Sorry for my bad English

CAEdevice

pierlu99 wrote:Hi, I'm from Italy and I am a fan of F1 and more particularly of aerodynamics! I often read in this Forum bus when I saw this topic I decided to sign up immediately :D. I use sketchup from 3 Years and I'd like to know more about KVRC (Rule, setup in the various circuits,..).

Sorry for my bad English
Ciao pierli99, benvenuto!

I hope to see you in the next KVRC edition (2016).
The KVRC website is http://www.khamsinvirtualracecarchallenge.com/ but you can find the KVRC2013/2014/2015/2016 threads on F1Tech forum.

pierlu99
pierlu99

Thanks! Grazie!
I've seen the website, but I did not understand some things.. Do you have an email address in orded to answer some of my questions?
Unfortunately I can't send private messages

CAEdevice

pierlu99 wrote:Thanks! Grazie!
I've seen the website, but I did not understand some things.. Do you have an email address in orded to answer some of my questions?
Unfortunately I can't send private messages
On the KVRC website you can find Chris and Julien's email.

I'm not involved in the organization but you can contact me by email (matteoATcaedeviceDOTnet).
Last edited by CAEdevice on 05 Dec 2015, 10:31, edited 3 times in total.

pierlu99
pierlu99

Ok, thanks for the help! But I think the email Is wrong
Last edited by pierlu99 on 29 Nov 2015, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.

RicME85

Can also be answered here no doubt

LVDH

I have ran a test using OF 3.0.0 with a heat exchanger modeled as porous media:
While it took some time to get the new OF working there were no issues with convergence etc. as the plot shows:

After the test I think we should go for this approach because:
-It is easier for compliance check. No inner and outer volumes, no three surfaces. It is only one box shape (pink in the picture) that has to be checked.
- The cars will look cooler as clearances to and from the heat exchangers is our problem.
- We will have to design nice internal ducts. From F1 cars and so on we never see what is going on in the inside. Here we could all see and learn something.
-As mass flow through the heat exchangers would affect engine performance we have a new trade-off to take care of making the challenge a bit more difficult and even more interesting.

LVDH

And a big change we should go for next year:

Standard coordinate system!

X should point along the car direction, Y along the wheels and Z upwards.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:And a big change we should go for next year:

Standard coordinate system!

X should point along the car direction, Y along the wheels and Z upwards.
I agree!!!