[WEC] Audi R18 TDI e-Tron Quattro 2016

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
lio007

[WEC] Audi R18 TDI e-Tron Quattro 2016

Audi's challenger for next year:

TractionBeam

Re: World Endurance Championship 2015

Really interesting front end with those double panels above the front wing. LMP front aero is always interesting.

nacho

looks like an ugly beast

variante

When i thought it couldn't get any uglier...

Anyway, interesting wheel arches...Porsche low lift concept brought to the extremes (with a lower drag improvement with that unusual inflection?)

Interesting cockpit too! ...possibly following the same wheel arches concept.

Sevach

Did they announce it's energy class?

wesley123

Yes, they switched to batteries and will run in the 6MJ class
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

FoxHound

I've looked at several press clippings and bloggers who are all vilifying the engine regs.

I get that some engines are handicapped, but what is the underlying tone of this issue? trying to find some concrete info, as the press seem to be averse to the WEC in general.
JET set

TzeiTzei

FoxHound wrote:I've looked at several press clippings and bloggers who are all vilifying the engine regs.

I get that some engines are handicapped, but what is the underlying tone of this issue? trying to find some concrete info, as the press seem to be averse to the WEC in general.
I haven't noticed a lot of complaining about the regs. But there are some points that come to mind.

- The BoP (or EoT) is quite complex, made to balance the best in class petrol and diesel. Does it really do that?

- The ERS incentive was a point of complaints at one point. Higher ERS class gives you an advantage and it's easier for a petrol car to reach those classes because of the lighter engine.

- Diesel has a shorter range. This has been quite obvious this year, Audi has had to pit a couple of laps before Porsche, and sometimes make one more pit stop.

But it is all really just to keep every manufacturer happy. For many years the diesels dominated, and I suppose the ACO&FIA wanted to make sure that those manufacturers who wanted to enter with a petrol engined car would see it as a viable option.

djos

Re: [WEC] Audi R18 TDI e-Tron Quattro 2016

That looks BAD A$$!!, from dead front on it looks like the evil son of a RedBull RB8 F1 Car and this years Audi R18 LMP1 car! :D

Im still rooting for the #17 Porsche tho. 8)
"In downforce we trust"

Cold Fussion

Hopefully their F1 look alike nose works better than the one on the R15. At what point do Audi stop calling this an R18? How much does the car really share with the original R18 from 2011? Autosport are also only reporting that the car has a single recovery unit on the front axle, which seems strange considering they could one on the rear as well, or haven't they completely abandoned their exhaust harvesting dreams?

Sevach

I think it will be R18 for a while (eternity?), apparently Renault holds the patent to every R-XX from 20 on(or at least a fairly high number).

RSF1

What car !!! The aero work is really impressive !! Especially on the front of the car !

This is all the more interesting that Porsche will conserve a major part of his 2015 car but with just a few of refinements and Toyota will introduce an all-new car TS050 Hybrid who could be a serious threat for the German cars.

So I think 2016 will be a fabulous season for the WEC. Too bad that there is not any TV channel who broadcast this sport. There is not mediatization in this sport even though we can see an increase of the interest of people since 2014.

dmjunqueira

RSF1 wrote:Too bad that there is not any TV channel who broadcast this sport. There is not mediatization in this sport even though we can see an increase of the interest of people since 2014.
That's my only complaint about WEC.
Last year in my country, we had only one (paid) channel broadcasting the first and last hours of almost every race...In 2015, none.
I've tried to follow the series though internet and mobile app...But that's not the same thing.
Such a shame not being able to watch the races of this great engineering sport.

:roll: Sorry for going off topic.