Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
autogyro

Re: Formula E

I think it is time to suggest a university thesis on the many reasons why driver less cars have never and will never come into regular use.

The idea for a support series to FE using driver less electric racing cars is no more than an attempt to gain the attention from the media that has been actively avoided by motor head journalists and the vested interest in IC technology.

Motor sport is primarily for competition between drivers not for an up sized model car club for children.

If FE wants the answer to improve International awareness and sponsor interest it should ask ME.
I did after all write the paper for the FIA that started the damn formula.

Awaiting all the inevitable arm chair slings and arrows with interest.

Andres125sx

Times does change Autogyro, driverless cars are a matter of time, and very little time :wink:

autogyro

Driver less cars will only ever be suitable for defined main roads with safety control between the vehicles and any pedestrians.
Even then the number of variables is far to high to ensure totally safe operation for mass transit.
Pilot less aircraft are much easier and of course in use with drones for military and some civilian uses.
Until I see regular use of pilot less airliners, I will remain convinced that driver less cars will not be seen in main transit operation.

FW17

autogyro

Wonderful tech Williams F1 and there is no problem with driver less racing working.
We had gyro stability on project 425 a land speed record bike I was involved with in the 1970s by the way.
That could easily have been made driver less but the whole point was for the rider to take the risks.

For driver/rider less racing why bother making the vehicle man sized, model racing already exists?
Any house wife can do it.
I much prefer drone racing in three dimensions.
Fun games for the young much like virtual computer games.
Hardly for grown ups :roll:

Your video and pictures of driver less tech do not address the fundamental problem of very limited spatial awareness.
Until this problem is properly addressed the safety issues will continue to outweigh any benefits in mass transit road systems.

Aerial vehicles like the pilot less autogyro we were developing work in a much easier environment in which to ensure avoidance of other objects and of course there is little need for safety in military combat situations anyway.
Even so I do not see the CAA allowing pilot less airliners to operate in busy airways over populated areas.

autogyro

I have a much better idea for the development of electric racing that would ensure a massive increase in public and sponsor interest in electric vehicles.
I am not prepared to outline it on here.
If the shakers and movers in electric vehicles want to discuss my ideas they must contact me and pay my expenses.
I no longer travel the world to speak mostly to idiots.
The suggestion for driver less racing is being put forward to promote driver less technology and to secure on going investment in it.
This is because the road applications for driver less vehicles are delayed indefinitely at present.

Andres125sx

autogyro wrote:Driver less cars will only ever be suitable for defined main roads with safety control between the vehicles and any pedestrians.

autogyro wrote:I much prefer drone racing in three dimensions.
Fun games for the young much like virtual computer games.
Hardly for grown ups :roll:
Disagree, even for grown ups! :mrgreen:

Jump first minute

autogyro wrote:Your video and pictures of driver less tech do not address the fundamental problem of very limited spatial awareness.
I think it´s the other way around, driverless cars have 360º spacial awareness constantly, they don´t need to look at a mirror and turn off the view from the road to know what´s happening behind or at a side
autogyro wrote:Aerial vehicles like the pilot less autogyro we were developing work in a much easier environment in which to ensure avoidance of other objects and of course there is little need for safety in military combat situations anyway.
Technology is already here for both, the limiting factor now it´s not the tech, but our fears, the mental side.

I can see people accepting driverless cars much easier than pilotless planes

autogyro

You are mixing up 360 degree vision with increased wave length with spatial awareness.
Completely different things.
This subject has been discussed on here before without any firm conclusions and I see nothing different with the new tech.

FW17

Will the be using some sort of tyre slip sensors combined with 4 wheel steering, torque vectoring and traction control to be on the absolute limit? Add active suspension and we would have an absolute monster on the race track.

autogyro

WilliamsF1 wrote:Will the be using some sort of tyre slip sensors combined with 4 wheel steering, torque vectoring and traction control to be on the absolute limit? Add active suspension and we would have an absolute monster on the race track.
No doubt but why make it 'human sized'?
Much cheaper to use kart tracks and model sized venues.
Using full sized tracks without drivers in the cars is pointless.

Sprat to sell a mackerel.
Driver less cars have no market at present that is the reason for this idea.

Electric racing needs to be developed and promoted for its own sake, not for another concept.

Andres125sx

autogyro wrote:You are mixing up 360 degree vision with increased wave length with spatial awareness.
Completely different things.
I know, but I don´t know many humans who can see a pedestrian at night as easily as infrared cameras

Cars with AI use different cameras to see a wider wave length than humans, and 360º around the car, two things a driver will never be able to do

Andres125sx

autogyro wrote:Driver less cars have no market at present that is the reason for this idea.
Driver less cars are already here. There are cars wich park theirselves. There are cars wich can follow the car in front at constant speed, braking autonoumously if neccessary. There are cars wich turn theirselves to keep the line. Even Tesla has a full autopilot.

The market is here, only problem is current laws and people fears about cars driving theirselves, once people get used to it, the market will be fully open

Here in Spain laws have been modified to allow autonomous cars, and first trip has been done, Vigo-Madrid, 600km with no driver interaction

autogyro wrote:Electric racing needs to be developed and promoted for its own sake, not for another concept.
Any reason?

They both are different categories with different targets, I don´t see any reason to avoid developing both concepts at the same time

autogyro

Very clever Spanish demo.
A pity it was all on motor ways and most of the car was full of tech equipment.
We could have done the same route driver less back in the 70s.
The Spanish tend to be a bit behind the eight ball.

Electric vehicle development can definitely help driver less development technically.
Electric motive power is essential for my own ideas for the development of electric racing and the huge investment base it can attract once it becomes accepted by the public.
I have the answer for that :wink:

Autonomous vehicle development on the other hand is not reliant solely on electric motive power.
It will promote electric vehicles and electric racing very little.

Andres125sx

I was expecting more from you autogyro...
autogyro wrote:Very clever Spanish demo.
A pity it was all on motor ways and most of the car was full of tech equipment.
We could have done the same route driver less back in the 70s.
The Spanish tend to be a bit behind the eight ball.
So full of tech equipment but it could be done in the 70s.... how´s that possible?

About the motor ways, I´ve never seen any test schedule testing worst case scenario on first day :roll:

The comments about Spain don´t deserve a comment, only a downvote
autogyro wrote:Autonomous vehicle development on the other hand is not reliant solely on electric motive power.
Obviously, who said autonomous vehicles must be electric?
autogyro wrote:It will promote electric vehicles and electric racing very little.
As Porsche Cup promote F1 or hibrid PUs very little.

What´s the problem with FE promoting a new technology, even if it´s independent of EVs? Anycase, like it or not, in the future cars will be electric and autonomous (hopefully we will be able to drive ourselves too) so I´m not sure what´s your problem with a new series promoting exactly that.

mzso

autogyro wrote:
Direct drive does not make full use of the electrical system.
In what way? This doesn't make sense. Of course it does/can.
Andres125sx wrote:Times does change Autogyro, driverless cars are a matter of time, and very little time :wink:
I think it'll probably require the state banning human drived cars at one point, otherwise idiots would keep driving and crashing around and ruining traffic until eternity.
Technologically there's no barrier to self driving cars. It's mostly just a software/computation issue these days.