Renault RS16 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stefan_

Re: Renault RS16 Speculation Thread

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 41x529.jpg

Seems like it's still the E23 thouth.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Blackout

Ah. The high resolution pics show it's a real dusty and tired 2015 E23... Probably the same as the Paris launch.
http://f1.f-e-n.net/
RS.16 like as said will feature some realtively important differences according to the crash test teaser pic. For example; that circle between the A and U of RENAULT in front of the cockpit of the E23, will probably move around the T on the RS.16 (if it remains visible) or merge with the small 'vanity panel' under the pitot tube. Or maybe the RS16 will have two circles instead of one : p
That suggests the RS.16 could have different front suspensions. The shape of the top of the nose seems a bit differnt too...
And that means the RS16 will be easily recognisable.
Maybe they have lengthened the wheelbase of the car by moving the suspensions forward because of the bulkier Renault PU and the strict weight distribution...

turbof1

trinidefender wrote:
turbof1 wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:https://translate.google.de/translate?s ... t=&act=url

N. Chester: car shown is not the one they go testing with

lots of work still to do, new car it's a compromise.

rumors:
car they go testing with is probably not the final car
final car will probably come around Spain GP
Yeah if that last rumor is true, I'm not going to wait for it. The car showed on testing will be labeled here as the official RS16. If a new car shows up in Spain, we'll open up a RS16 B-spec topic.
Why not just leave it as one topic and just change the name. There will be no discontinuity of flow between discussions. It will just be kinda like when Force India intorduced what some called a B spec car for the 2015 season. The discussion just keeps going. I am of the opinion that having separate topics for absolutely everything just leads to confusion and there have been legitimate times where I just don't know where to post things.

I say just leave it as is, change the name of the thread and let it continue as normal.
I can agree with a transition in title only if there's going to be a RS16 B-spec (unless the car is really radically different, but that hasn't happened in ages mid-season).

I will however start a new topic for the official RS16. Doing so has always marked the transition from speculation to discussion about the actual features of the car. If I'd continue this topic for that, there will be confusion about it. That's how it always has been: speculation threads for the off season, fresh and clean topics for the real cars. In this case there is high uncertainty if the car showed on the team launch will be the real one, hence why returning to a speculation thread was the better choice.
#AeroFrodo

lio007

turbof1

So guys, I am now consulting with you: is this the 2016 car or not? Because it looks exactly like the one at the team launch.
#AeroFrodo

Morteza

turbof1 wrote:So guys, I am now consulting with you: is this the 2016 car or not? Because it looks exactly like the one at the team launch.
I guess it the 2016 car. With all the things going on at Lotus in 2015 I wouldn't expect a more different car.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Raleigh

Has the 2016 raised cockpit protection...

Perhaps new parts will come before Melbourne, but yes, I think this is the RS16.

Blackout

turbof1 wrote:So guys, I am now consulting with you: is this the 2016 car or not? Because it looks exactly like the one at the team launch.
New car as I said, but it's based on the E23. It shares a surprising amount of parts with the 2015 Lotus, literally.

Scuderia1967

Blackout wrote:
New car as I said, but it's based on the E23. It shares a surprising amount of parts with the 2015 Lotus, literally.
The tub looks the same to me. The sidepods look a bit different, though

FrukostScones

it's a differentcar, just check the rear an exhaust for instance (not on the following pic :mrgreen: )

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Blackout

It need its own official thread anyway.

turbof1

Hence why I am asking. Last time when the team had its launch event, they showed a very similar car to this one. Back then so much confusion broke out we were forced to go back to the speculation thread. I'd like to avoid another such a case. I'll wait it out until this evening.
#AeroFrodo

Gridlock

Renault seem to think it's the RS16;
https://twitter.com/renaultsportf1/stat ... 1609021440

ringo

It's good that this is just the test livery too.
I hope they will put more yellow on the car.
For Sure!!

skoop

ringo wrote:It's good that this is just the test livery too.
I hope they will put more yellow on the car.
i'm following testing live on Autosport.com and they said that according to a paddock insider the livery will Change to a more yellow one "10:25 A paddock source tells me the Renault will be sporting considerably more yellow in its livery come the opening grand prix in Australia." is the exact quote