Front Wing Design

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
engineersedge

Re: Front Wing Design

andy fussell wrote:Hi

I have a CAD model of an f1 front wing, it's has been done to basic regulations. I could email it to you.

I would be interested in seeing the results, as I'm planning to get it prototyped for a radio controlled car.
Hello andy!!!!
I am student of mechanical engineering.... and doing analysis on front wing of formula one.... kindly could you mail me your design of wing on { waqas_engr@live.com } .... It will be much helpful for me .... Thanx

engineersedge

I am a student of mechanical engineering. I need the CAD model of formula one front wing for the CFD Analysis for my final year project. Kindly mail it on the following mail address. waqas_engr@live.com

OO7
OO7

Current F1 cars are designed with 5 to 6 element front wings. Is one of the main reasons for this to allow a very high overall AOA within the small regulation box of the end plates?

CAEdevice

Consider that the design of a modern F1 front wing is influenced by the flow and vortices that the body behind it needs to optimize downforce. Without considering that, every geometry (see my KVRC car MP002 on GrabCAD) could work, but it would be just a CFD software exercise.

mep

Seriously, if you are a mechanical engineering student you should take a CAD package and design your own front wing. To ask for it on a forum is close to failing the project. Prove that you can actually do something yourself, not just showing off and shiny pictures.

livinglikethathuh

Modeling of the front wheels on CFD and wind tunnel is IMO crucial, as the front wheels cause the largest change in airflow, after the front wings.

The airfoils are a double edged sword, really; you can pick a thicker airfoil to have better downforce values, but that will also increase drag and be more susceptible to stall(I don't know if you're going to do unsteady/turbulent flow analysis, but it's definitely a concern for F1). I would go for thinner elements with higher aspect ratios to minimise the risk of stalling of the uppermost elements and to reduce induced drag. Remember, the uppermost elements have the highest AoA.
Another thing, the lower side of the front wing acts as a diffuser with the ground. You should consider the flow conditions there too, there may be more performance to be milked on the underside. Bhall on this forum (one of the best guys on aerodynamics on F1technical) keeps saying that F1 front wings act more like diffusers than front wings, see if he has any merit.

I'm at my final year in aeronautical engineering and I've considered analysing front wings for my grad project, but my instructors said it was way above my level and would require a lot of CAD work, unnecessary in their opinion. I'm doing something entirely different now for the project.

RicME85

There are a number of F1 front wings on grabcad