[KVRC] Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Xwang wrote:How much ram is needed to do such calculations using an i7-6700hq cpu?
Maybe 8gb, but 16gb would be better (24-32gb if you are using the workstation with other heavy tasks during the calculation).

CAEdevice

variante wrote:I've just noticed that cooling inner extrusions cannot intersect suspensions templates (as last year). Why? It doesn't seem to me that the suspensions elements represent a significant blockage to the airflow.
Can we change this part?
I add two considerations about "option 2":

- The rotation angle of the heat exchanger is limited to 30° by the current rulebook: in my opinion 45° would be more realistic (keeping the area around 250.000mm2). Don't forget that the 100mm extrusion make the frontal projection of the radiator bigger when a rotation is applied.

- What about an option 3 compeltely free except a very mimimun heat exchanger surface, but with 2017 mimimum flow?

CAEdevice

SR71 wrote:Been lurking on this thread for a while now, did I miss the conversation about the side impact structure being fixed?
Hi, side impact structure seems to have been removed in the 2016 rulebook.

WillemG
WillemG

Hi Everyone :)

I registered the team /dev/null for 2016, I will be using the introductory rules.

Will

CAEdevice

WillemG wrote:Hi Everyone :)

I registered the team /dev/null for 2016, I will be using the introductory rules.

Will
Welcome! If the rules and occfd will not be published/fixed soon, I'm considering the introductory class too.

RicME85

Matteo in the cut and paste division? :o

CAEdevice

RicME85 wrote:Matteo in the cut and paste division? :o
Honestly, it depends on the time I will have to dedicate to the new car, and on the possibility to match the results of our simulations with the results of the races.

On the other side, I think that a well developed introductory class car can compete for the podium in the first races and for the whole challange too.

RicME85

Just thought you would of preferred to evolve your car after the work you put in last season.

My OCCFD results were pretty much exactly the same as the official race results last year. I will be going down the AWS route again (if Julien gets it running ... I'm sure he said it needed tweaking for the newer OpenFOAM)

I'm itching to get started but am hesitant to do so until the rules are finalised.

I downloaded 3DS Max 2013 (have the free student copy from Autodesk) to have a look at modelling for AC. I haven't bought it yet, have been waiting for it to drop dramatically in a Steam sale. I have zero experience with 3DS Max or Blender so should probably sit down and look at some basic tutorials.

CAEdevice

RicME85 wrote:I downloaded 3DS Max 2013 (have the free student copy from Autodesk) to have a look at modelling for AC. I haven't bought it yet, have been waiting for it to drop dramatically in a Steam sale. I have zero experience with 3DS Max or Blender so should probably sit down and look at some basic tutorials.
In case you decided to model your car into AC, I can give you the physics template I wrote for my car.

RicME85

Thanks that would save a lot of time. Will see how it goes.

stekar
stekar

politely any1 with KHAMSIN for google sketchup even if its trial version send me to "stekarcomputers@gmail.com" for their website Vhttp://www.hibouscientificsoftware.com.au/ seems not to be working.

thank you

SR71

Hey Guys, I have a few more questions as I try to wrap my head around this rule set.

1) "In cases where these volumes are formed by the space between bodywork and the
internal templates, bodywork in the relevant area may not be ‘shrink­wrapped’ around the
internal templates. The surfaces of the corresponding offset guide should be used to
judge how much space must be left between the bodywork and the internal template."

does this mean the offset templates are rough guides or does our bodywork also need to include the offset surfaces?

For instance, in this rough build pictured below, the pink surfaces are the offset guide, would something like this be allowed?

2) the vol_bodywork template has no exterior wall, I defined this missing surface in the image below (red lines). Does this mean we can have bodywork past 1000mm of the centerline? For instance covering the rear wheels?

Thanks!
SR71

CAEdevice

Point 1: to understand that rule, you just have to imagine
the volume required by pipes and small ducts.

Point 2: I think something went wrong when you imported the template, you should consider that missing surface.
Last edited by CAEdevice on 08 Feb 2016, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.

RicME85

stekar wrote:politely any1 with KHAMSIN for google sketchup even if its trial version send me to "stekarcomputers@gmail.com" for their website Vhttp://www.hibouscientificsoftware.com.au/ seems not to be working.

thank you
That isn't used any more

SR71

CAEdevice wrote:Point 1: to understand that rule, you just have to imagine
the volume required by pipes and small ducts.

Point 2: I think something went wrong when you imported the template, you should consider that missing surface.

Thanks!
SR71