Mclaren MP4-31 Honda Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Edax

Re: Mclaren MP4-31 Honda Speculation Thread

godlameroso wrote:If you listen carefully all engines have that raspy burbling noise on overrun.
That is true but the sound of the Mclaren was different. The TV recordings don't show it that much but trackside it is really noticable.

I always assumed that the mclaren because of its heat management issues had more aggressive off-throttle mapping to cold blow the engine and the various bits and parts around it.

Gridlock

Couldn't it simply be an attempt to contribute to the turbo staying spun up without using the ES/MGU-H?

timbo

My impression was that Honda limits the number of firing cylinders on the partial throttle.

dren

timbo wrote:My impression was that Honda limits the number of firing cylinders on the partial throttle.
That's my guess, too. They have a lot of experience with VCM in their road cars.
Honda!

DarkAlman

GoranF1 wrote:Is there a realistic posibility to use wastegate pipes to do some exhaust blowing in 2016?
The FIA just released a technical directive making it illegal to use the waste gate as a 'fluid switch'
It's likely that at least one of the teams (probably renault) wanted to use the wastegate to power a double DRS system similar to the one on the E21.

Exhaust blowing with the current exhaust configuration is not really viable because you can't get the exhaust gases where you need them.

The big performance gains in the new V6's is all the ERS system at the moment, and of course that's where Honda has lacking last year.

MCHF1

Hi,
Did you notice ? http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/car/mp4-31/
It seems like cockpit part, isn't it? ...and the grey seems lighter.

Nice curves anyway.

adrianjordan

Looks like the cover they drape over the car to me....maybe even a cgi render of it....
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

lio007

MCHF1 wrote: It seems like cockpit part, isn't it?
It could also be the left rear wheel and left rear wing endplate.

GoranF1

MCHF1 wrote:Hi,

Nice curves anyway.
its part of the same image Mclaren and Ferrari have been using before car launch for 5-6 years...
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

GoranF1

Some interesting news from Japan press.
Source is @muramassa Autosport forums

excerpt of some key Arai remarks from a recent f1sokuho magazine
interview session by a jp journo/tv commentator. yet another exclusive int session (all of recent interviews, stinger and nikkei, were exclusive too conducted fairly recently, not joint. Those of motorsport.com, iF1 etc must be from abu dhabi.)
note that it's summarized and paraphrased a lot by me.

The word/concept of "size zero" didnt exist at the beginning.
Aimed to utilize chassis and PU and considered compact packaging in that process
Discussed a lot with mclaren from the very early stage of working on layout, argued a lot esp about exhaust manifold placing, where to guide/let air flow etc
With flawed/compromised piping (as a result of size zero), cooling doesnt work even if system itself is fine, so paid extra attention to design piping layout so no issue in overall cooling but suffered from internal/local heating from motors

There was not much issue in terms of how to make/use deployment (software-wise) because been making preparation for long time, but issue was the amount of electricity
Simulation in terms of how to use energy is pretty good, so could precisely assess how much car can go faster if had this much more electricity, esp accuracy for Quali was pretty high (note that it's a topic about software)
Turbine needs to work so hard to boost comp pressure in order to feed ICE, so no power left for spinning MGU-H
Capacity of compressor was major issue, the most efficient point was off the mark / mismatch, sort of

Steering display contains confidential info so some teams put film in order to prevent onboard camera from capturing those.

(on working with mclaren) first class team and fantastic, speed and accuracy of operation is the best. Genuinely appreciate two different culture mixing and working together, different so that we can know different approach/mindset and can learn a lot.

(on '16 PU) 1.get reliability right, 2.solve deployment (changing MGU-H, turbine and compressor, targeting performance level of other makers), 3. improve ICE. Regarding ICE, Merc is in a position of "master/teacher", which Ferrari and Renault are chasing/aiming at as well.
Get all these 3 elements together otherwise cannot be on the level to be able to fight with Merc and wont be able to evaluate chassis properly, so our responsibility is enormous/crucial.
Of course it depends on how much rivals will advance and it's essential to take that into consideration, but that's competition, so things will only be clear at Barcelona testings.

F1 is about raking lots of 1/1000secs here and there, and pushing it to ultimate limit, not balancing/compromising act. You'll be left behind if rest/stay still, it's such an extraordinary field.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Thunder

GoranF1 wrote:
MCHF1 wrote:Hi,

Nice curves anyway.
its part of the same image Mclaren and Ferrari have been using before car launch for 5-6 years...
Exactly. It's a Teaser Picture used by many F1 Teams for many Years.....
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Gargantua

First of all as you all guys may know McLaren are going to present the new chassis "Mp4/31" to press in the 21th of February, and that is by no doubt an ordinary date for an F1 team to present its car y'know, but on the exact same day Samsung are going to be presenting the new S7 as well, and i surely think that might just be a coincidence after all.

But if you take a look at the main page of Samsungs website 'http://www.samsung.com/tr/home/' there's a black box and a leak of a blue light which represent the blue of Samsung which is also referenced by McLaren twitter page at an earlier time and here is a quote from that post "Feeling blue? Seeing red??"

So what i'm saying is that after the loss of a huge sponsor like Vodafone, Mclaren surely is looking forward to find another one like Vodafone and Samsung is a perfect match for them as much as it is for Samsung. So we might be seeing a lot more different livery than the previous year.

By the way I don't know if anybody had realized that before I did or even if i'm making this up in my head but i just think this way :D

VFC_Cipher

Gargantua wrote:First of all as you all guys may know McLaren are going to present the new chassis "Mp4/31" to press in the 21th of February, and that is by no doubt an ordinary date for an F1 team to present its car y'know, but on the exact same day Samsung are going to be presenting the new S7 as well, and i surely think that might just be a coincidence after all.

But if you take a look at the main page of Samsungs website 'http://www.samsung.com/tr/home/' there's a black box and a leak of a blue light which represent the blue of Samsung which is also referenced by McLaren twitter page at an earlier time and here is a quote from that post "Feeling blue? Seeing red??"

So what i'm saying is that after the loss of a huge sponsor like Vodafone, Mclaren surely is looking forward to find another one like Vodafone and Samsung is a perfect match for them as much as it is for Samsung. So we might be seeing a lot more different livery than the previous year.

By the way I don't know if anybody had realized that before I did or even if i'm making this up in my head but i just think this way :D
Worth noting that Samsung has ceased its sponsorship of Chelsea FC. You may well be onto something. Thanks for sharing.

ME4ME

Gargantua wrote:First of all as you all guys may know McLaren are going to present the new chassis "Mp4/31" to press in the 21th of February, and that is by no doubt an ordinary date for an F1 team to present its car y'know, but on the exact same day Samsung are going to be presenting the new S7 as well, and i surely think that might just be a coincidence after all.

Awesome find! You could really be onto something there =D>

nevill3

I thought the feeling blue phrase was a reference to "Blue Monday", which has been determined as the saddest day of the year, usually the third Monday in January.

The date is generally reported as falling on the third Monday in January,[5] but also on the second or fourth Monday,[5] or the Monday of the last full week of January.[6] The first such date declared was 24 January in 2005 as part of a Sky Travel press release.[7]

Calculation[edit]
Arnall has said the date was devised to help a travel company to "analyze when people book holidays and holiday trends"[7] and used many factors, including: weather conditions, debt level (the difference between debt accumulated and our ability to pay), time since Christmas, time since failing our new year’s resolutions, low motivational levels and feeling of a need to take action. One equation used by Arnall in 2006 was:[2]

(C \times R \times ZZ)/((Tt + D) \times St) + (P \times Pr)>400
where Tt = travel time; D = delays; C = time spent on cultural activities; R = time spent relaxing; ZZ = time spent sleeping; St = time spent in a state of stress; P = time spent packing; Pr = time spent in preparation. Units of measurement are not defined.

A 2009 press release[8] used a different formula:

[W + (D-d)]/ \times T^QM \times N_a
where W=weather, D=debt, d=monthly salary, T=time since Christmas, Q=time since failing our new year’s resolutions, M=low motivational levels, and Na=the feeling of a need to take action. Again, no units were defined.
From Wiki....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Monday_(date)
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978