Overbeeke Closed canopy f1 concept

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan

Re: Overbeeke Closed canopy f1 concept

dmjunqueira wrote:
FW17 wrote:http://cdn-5.motorsport.com/images/amp/ ... closed.jpg

Next step would be to remove the center support and use thicker glass/polycarbonate in the center
I agree.
But then wouldn't it need wipers during rain? I guess this "polycarbonate shield" surface need to be a little bit flatter to allow the wipers to work (like on LMP1).
I wondered about wipers but I think the shape shown in the concepts so far would allow the use of a rain repellant coating on the screen. Something like Rain-X or the repellant from Gtechniq.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

adrianjordan

What about other dirts etc...they have tear off strips on their visors for a reason.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

i70q7m7ghw

adrianjordan wrote:What about other dirts etc...they have tear off strips on their visors for a reason.
That can be cleaned up in the pitstops, you could even have tear offs on the windscreen. Maybe a small wiper could be used. If anyone is going to find a solution, it's going to be a Formula 1 team.

turbof1

adrianjordan wrote:What about other dirts etc...they have tear off strips on their visors for a reason.
They have special treatment products that keeps dirt, marbles, etc from attaching on front wings. It's no stretch to have a fully transparent product to do the same on a canopy.
FW17 wrote:3) the one tested in the tyre strike by FIA deflected too much that the bubble would have hit the helmet. To have made it workable it would have to be higher, bigger to provide for enough clearance for the helmet
Wouldn't that still improve the situation though? I imagine that same projectile will hit the head without a canopy. The canopy would atleast disperse the kynetic energy partly.
#AeroFrodo

FW17

turbof1 wrote:
Wouldn't that still improve the situation though? I imagine that same projectile will hit the head without a canopy. The canopy would atleast disperse the kynetic energy partly.
FIA wants to be on the safe side and cover every possibility.

The test case was a wheel and the canopy with the size they defined failed.

FIA have also been sketchy in the info provided

wonder if they tested a solution like this (part carbon fiber, part f16 canopy)

would have been heavy but who cares, they can reduce the size of the battery

scuderiafan

autogyro wrote:
godlameroso wrote:With all the money in F1 I'm surprised the helmets don't have HUD's and cameras on the car to give drivers unobstructed view, kind of like the F-35.
The F35 is a scandal and a complete failure, why copy such failure in F1.
The F35 helmet and seat design breaks the pilots neck for a start.
There truly is no place on the internet where you cannot find a F35 argument.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

FW17

Red Bull Racing has submitted a design study for a canopy alternative to the Halo F1 cockpit protection option currently preferred by the FIA.
"Obviously head protection is crucial," said Red Bull boss Christian Horner when asked by Motorsport.com.

"Red Bull is making another submission for a canopy that we believe will be a safer option. It's more of a canopy than a Halo.

"But it needs to be tested, which hopefully can be done very quickly.

"We have a committed a design study on evolving the FIA's theme, and we feel there's a viable solution."

Asked if it could be readied for 2017, he added: "Why not?"