Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Juzh

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

giantfan10 wrote:
Juzh wrote:Angle of attack is visibly higher and surface area seems increased on the new spec wing. This will without a doubt create more downforce at expense of drag, which is intriguing given Sochi's long straights. Renault powered cars can only dream of running those angles.

Ferrari obviously believes air flow to the rear of the car won't be affected. The higher the angle, the more difficult it is in general to control airflow.
you are correct as far as air flow to the back of the car and controlling it BUT you have to remember that an F1 car does not get the majority of the air flowing to the diffuser from the front wing elements.There is a pretty sizeable gap between the left and right elements of the wing that feeds the diffuser around and through the nose.
True. Still, front wing will have a meaningful effect on the airflow.

f300v10

bhall II wrote:
f300v10 wrote:There are also what I assume to be additional vortex generators between the first and second main flaps.
I think those are slot-gap separators that keep the wing from stalling when the flap flexes under load. If so, they form something of a pivot.
I don't think it would take 3 pieces to keep that slot open, there isn't that much deflection within the mainplane. I'm pretty sure their primary function is flow control related.

Sevach

Not a whole lot of rear wing in this image.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

godlameroso

It looks like they're trying to put more emphasis on the airflow around the outside of the tire, while inboard of the tire they're trying to get more absolute downforce.
Saishū kōnā

henra

godlameroso wrote:It looks like they're trying to put more emphasis on the airflow around the outside of the tire, while inboard of the tire they're trying to get more absolute downforce.
Too me it looks a bit two-fold: On the one hand they seem to try and increase outwash to some extent and on the other hand (with the Mercedes like pronounced S- Shape when looking from above and the steep gradient and sharp edge of the wing's inner edges) to create a very sharp and strong Y250 vortex.

Cloud981

LookBackTime

bhall II

f300v10 wrote:I don't think it would take 3 pieces to keep that slot open, there isn't that much deflection within the mainplane. I'm pretty sure their primary function is flow control related.
Yep, I didn't realize there were three, but I still should have recognized them as the leading edges of the strakes on the underside of the wing.

iulian_florea

Please excuse me if I'm not posting in the right forum:
Regarding this picture: Image
I was under the impression that the nose bulge is structural, but it seems hollow.
Can anyone explain that?

Thanks!
Last edited by turbof1 on 04 May 2016, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed image link

F1ern

iulian_florea wrote:Please excuse me if I'm not posting in the right forum:
Regarding this picture: http://cdn-8.motorsport.com/images/mgl/ ... sf16-h.jpg
I was under the impression that the nose bulge is structural, but it seems hollow.
Can anyone explain that?

Thanks!
The question is if its hollow why isnt the nose at the minimal size that the rules allow? Its clearly longer and lower than the McLaren and RedBull one.

turbof1

Let's not forget we are dealing with a damaged nose; just because it's hollow there does not mean it was like that before it broke.
#AeroFrodo

iulian_florea

The crash wasn't very violent and judging by the CF layer thickness, it doesn't appear structural. Notice that the upper nose (to whom the buldge is attached to) seems much stronger (minor dammage on thos corners). My guess is that this part is actually structural, not the buldge. This is what puzzles me.

PS: thx to the moderator for the edit, I am not used to posting pictores on forums.