2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
GPR-A duplicate2

Re: 2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

CBeck113 wrote:And remember - these engineers aren't stupid, and they use similar simulation programs & test methods, so the concepts will quickly point to the same optimum solution. I predict that the delta on lap time improvements will be within 0.5 seconds for all teams, not counting engine emprovements. And, if the tires are not improved, we'll still have cars driving 10 seconds per lap slower than their qualifying times.
How the hell did these same engineers got it wrong for Ferrari in 2014? How was that the same engineers couldn't find a solution for the tire issues from 2010 to 2013 for Mercedes? How the hell did Renault and Ferrari screwed it up with their PU? How did the McLaren engineers screwed up in 2013? If only the systems that they use are so perfect like you say, that they can see their own future and create cars that are absolutely perfect to their simulations.
Point to the same optimum solution? Why the hell then one team dominates and the others cannot come anywhere closer?
0.5 seconds for all teams? Even on the third year, Mercedes is miles ahead of everyone, forget 0.5 seconds. What is wrong there?
How do you explain the Red Bull being aero masters if everyone is using the same systems that can generate same solutions?
How did the noses became so drastically different from Mercedes to Ferrari to Williams and to Caterham?
Come 2017, I wouldn't be surprised if one teams makes a big leap forward and another falling way behind.

tpe
tpe

superdowg316 wrote:I think after the first two races I can say that Ferrari have a car similar to the MP4/20. It's fast and can win the championship, but reliability will hold it back.
MP4/20 could start last and still win the race. This is not the case with SF16-H. They are not capable to win a pole position. At least yet.

giantfan10

GPR-A wrote:
CBeck113 wrote:And remember - these engineers aren't stupid, and they use similar simulation programs & test methods, so the concepts will quickly point to the same optimum solution. I predict that the delta on lap time improvements will be within 0.5 seconds for all teams, not counting engine emprovements. And, if the tires are not improved, we'll still have cars driving 10 seconds per lap slower than their qualifying times.
How the hell did these same engineers got it wrong for Ferrari in 2014? How was that the same engineers couldn't find a solution for the tire issues from 2010 to 2013 for Mercedes? How the hell did Renault and Ferrari screwed it up with their PU? How did the McLaren engineers screwed up in 2013? If only the systems that they use are so perfect like you say, that they can see their own future and create cars that are absolutely perfect to their simulations.
Point to the same optimum solution? Why the hell then one team dominates and the others cannot come anywhere closer?
0.5 seconds for all teams? Even on the third year, Mercedes is miles ahead of everyone, forget 0.5 seconds. What is wrong there?
How do you explain the Red Bull being aero masters if everyone is using the same systems that can generate same solutions?
How did the noses became so drastically different from Mercedes to Ferrari to Williams and to Caterham?
Come 2017, I wouldn't be surprised if one teams makes a big leap forward and another falling way behind.
Because the key element for this current formula and the next will still be the PU...

CBeck113

GPR-A wrote:
Simple: if the basis is wrong, then you're off - the improvements over the past two seasons haven't made much of a difference, unless a team change their motor supplier (STR, as the negative example Renault). Otherwise the pecking order hasn't changed, although the teams have made numerous improvements to their cars. If, according to your logic, Mercedes has the best engineers, then why isn't the gap growing?
Last edited by Steven on 06 Apr 2016, 08:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal comments
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

superdowg316

tpe wrote:
superdowg316 wrote:I think after the first two races I can say that Ferrari have a car similar to the MP4/20. It's fast and can win the championship, but reliability will hold it back.
MP4/20 could start last and still win the race. This is not the case with SF16-H. They are not capable to win a pole position. At least yet.
True, but it's also the same circumstances. One team wins the first 4 races before the other team kicks in to high gear hopefully?

Also, that quote needs refining: The MP4/20 could start last, lead the race and then suffer a hydraulic/gearbox/engine/suspension failure.
Friendship with Honda ended, Renault is my new (and more reliable) friend.

Vasconia

CBeck113 wrote: Simple: if the basis is wrong, then you're off - the improvements over the past two seasons haven't made much of a difference, unless a team change their motor supplier (STR, as the negative example Renault). Otherwise the pecking order hasn't changed, although the teams have made numerous improvements to their cars. If, according to your logic, Mercedes has the best engineers, then why isn't the gap growing?
Having such a great PU and chasis, why not? but I hope that with free evolution of the PU Honda can make a big step forward, but Mercedes will continue to be one the leading teams, if not the dominant one.

aral

MP4/20 could start last and still win the race. This is not the case with SF16-H. They are not capable to win a pole position. At least yet.[/quote]
Qualifying is different to race pace. During quali , the DRS can be used and the boost turned up, thus giving a false idea of actual race speed. Arrivabene actually emphasised this when he said that Ferrari were concentrating more on the race, than quali.

GPR-A duplicate2

aral wrote:
Qualifying is different to race pace. During quali , the DRS can be used and the boost turned up, thus giving a false idea of actual race speed. Arrivabene actually emphasised this when he said that Ferrari were concentrating more on the race, than quali.
Lewis said the same... Listen at 1m35s of the video.

iotar__

I think it belongs here more than in the race thread: "Ferrari: Gap to Mercedes is just one tenth" http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... ontent=www
Hmm, one tenth, how precise is that? What kind of margin, another one tenth? Then it's either two or equal. Why not tell it like it really is, you're as quick as Merc. Simple answer: this one marketing tenth makes recent failures more palatable, we were "one tenth" behind anyway but still very strong. Both an excuse and a chest beating.
"In qualifying there were mistakes, but in the race they did well. I also saw a great thing from Seb – who in the pits passed two cars. He demonstrates why his salary is higher than that of Carlos Sainz."
Qualifying, start, collision with a team-mate, chances over after first corner, two cars out of contention, second collision, detuned engine and auto pilot recovery and he's focusing on a very nice but gimmick overtake that meant nothing? "Vettel: still better than Sainz jnr" ;-) (not serious, I'm sorry I couldn't help myself). Mercedes must be laughing their a.. off.

Nuvolari

I cleaned up the first stint data from last year's race at Sochi on the Super Soft.

Looking at these data, Hamilton was about 1s per lap quicker than the Ferraris over the stint. Williams/Bottas were also quicker than Ferrari over the early part of the stint. It seemed like the tyres took a while to come in to its own on the Ferrari on the restart, whereas Hamilton and Bottas were able to switch it on immediately. Next weekend should confirm the gap between Ferrari and Mercedes with tyre degradation not being a big factor (albeit in a non representative street track). Let's see. :)

ferkan

iotar__ wrote:I think it belongs here more than in the race thread: "Ferrari: Gap to Mercedes is just one tenth" http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... ontent=www
Hmm, one tenth, how precise is that? What kind of margin, another one tenth? Then it's either two or equal. Why not tell it like it really is, you're as quick as Merc. Simple answer: this one marketing tenth makes recent failures more palatable, we were "one tenth" behind anyway but still very strong. Both an excuse and a chest beating.
"In qualifying there were mistakes, but in the race they did well. I also saw a great thing from Seb – who in the pits passed two cars. He demonstrates why his salary is higher than that of Carlos Sainz."
Qualifying, start, collision with a team-mate, chances over after first corner, two cars out of contention, second collision, detuned engine and auto pilot recovery and he's focusing on a very nice but gimmick overtake that meant nothing? "Vettel: still better than Sainz jnr" ;-) (not serious, I'm sorry I couldn't help myself). Mercedes must be laughing their a.. off.
Only in China. Its taken out of context. Original interview was in Italian, and he specifically said "1 tenth in China"

mika vs michael

There are only 4 words that I can think of right now...bring back ROSS BRAWN. The team need a real team principal.
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

Serbian4ever

Ferrari's gap is more in other things then in pu. Gap between Merc pu and Ferrari pu may be less then 0.100 per lap not more.

voltmod

Serbian4ever wrote:Ferrari's gap is more in other things then in pu
I think Ferrari is nowhere near Mercedes, after the upgrades both introduced. Mercedes have found more power with new Petronas oil/ fuel, and it seems that Shell has a lot of work to do to catch up. Also, Ferrari should work more with the refinement of the front wing they introduced and also with their rear wing, that looks underdeveloped compared to Mercedes and Red Bull, or even compared to STR. I am not sure about the floor either... I know Sochi is a special track, but I am really disappointed of the outcome after qualifying...

Sorry about my English guys :)

Fer.Fan

voltmod wrote:
Serbian4ever wrote:Ferrari's gap is more in other things then in pu
I think Ferrari is nowhere near Mercedes, after the upgrades both introduced. Mercedes have found more power with new Petronas oil/ fuel, and it seems that Shell has a lot of work to do to catch up. Also, Ferrari should work more with the refinement of the front wing they introduced and also with their rear wing, that looks underdeveloped compared to Mercedes and Red Bull, or even compared to STR. I am not sure about the floor either... I know Sochi is a special track, but I am really disappointed of the outcome after qualifying...

Sorry about my English guys :)
According to Kimi new updates works as planed.

Biggest disappointment is Kimis qualify speed. He is just to old and slow. Even Bottas was faster then Kimi and he missed front row. Is is time for Riciardo to join Ferrari.