2016 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, Apr. 29 - May 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
iotar__

Re: 2016 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, Apr. 29 - May 01

RZS10 wrote:Just a reprimand for Lewis, second of the season - One more and he drops on the grid by 10
Zero more and he gets no penalty at all. Why did they even bother with rules like that?

Pirelli suspect some teams are cheating with tyre pressure and calls for live monitoring. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... -clampdown

Like Mercedes in Monza? :-) No, we swear we wouldn't, it's all misunderstanding.

Chuckjr

Wow. Merc pace just devastating. I applaud Ferrari's effort, but they should switch focus to 2017 and nailing the regulations and hoping for improvement. Nobody is catching Merc. Post race press conference had an air of defeatism emanating from Vet and Bot. Sad. I so miss f1 and real pace/competition between drivers.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Nuvolari

So, what do we think...Bottas to jump Rosberg at the start and be leading after Lap 1? :mrgreen:

It will be the best outcome for Rosberg's championship rivals.

cooken

Repeat failure for Merc is fairly alarming, as evidenced by Toto's reaction. Robbed of yet another race for the win, 4/4 this season. Midfield stuff is fine and good but its just not the same as watching a battle for victory...this is becoming depressing. Bahrain 2014 was such a tease :(

AnthonyG

3jawchuck wrote:
ripper wrote:If Rosberg doesn't mess something at start he's going to have a super easy victory
This is what happens when your team swap your race crew for the other guy's :v
/s
So Hamilton just got those championships because Rosberg had a crappy crew. :mrgreen:
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

search

if there is no safety car tomorrow, I fear we will see a lot of fuel saving... Sochi has always been one of the tracks most heavy on consumption. Any idea if Honda is still struggling the most in that regard?

ringo

GPR-A wrote:What's going on with Ferrari? They brought PU upgrades and a new front wing and landed up 8 tenths behind (Nico's Q2 against Vettel's Q3 best times)? Nico's pole time is actually slower than the Q2 time and it was natural given the fact that Lewis was out of contention. It would be a safe assumption that the times would have been much better on Mercedes' cars if both would have gone for pole, probably dipping under 1:35.xxx. So the difference to Ferrari would have been larger too.
And in Chinese GP, they claimed the gap to Mercedes was just 1 tenth.
I think they are closer, but they are probably not working the tyres well on this track.
For Sure!!

basti313

ringo wrote:
GPR-A wrote:What's going on with Ferrari? They brought PU upgrades and a new front wing and landed up 8 tenths behind (Nico's Q2 against Vettel's Q3 best times)? Nico's pole time is actually slower than the Q2 time and it was natural given the fact that Lewis was out of contention. It would be a safe assumption that the times would have been much better on Mercedes' cars if both would have gone for pole, probably dipping under 1:35.xxx. So the difference to Ferrari would have been larger too.
I think they are closer, but they are probably not working the tyres well on this track.
Sky showed some nice comparisons. They (Surer) claim the rear suspension to be the gamechanger: Merc is running a much softer suspension and, thus, has more traction out of the corners. It looks nearly like the blown diffusor RedBulls when exiting the corners like on rails. On the other hand the Ferraris had a lot of power oversteer. Surer said most cars you can not run as soft as the Merc as the driver would loose the feeling for the car.
Don`t russel the hamster!

iotar__

basti313 wrote:
ringo wrote:
Sky showed some nice comparisons. They (Surer) claim the rear suspension to be the gamechanger: Merc is running a much softer suspension and, thus, has more traction out of the corners. It looks nearly like the blown diffusor RedBulls when exiting the corners like on rails. On the other hand the Ferraris had a lot of power oversteer. Surer said most cars you can not run as soft as the Merc as the driver would loose the feeling for the car.
What's wrong with Ferrari? Nothing, it's same as China where they were 0,1 behind:
- China Rosberg - 1st F 0,51 - 2nd F 0,84
- Russia - 1st F 0,71 - 2nd F 1,14

A. Two tenths = Rosberg's lap 0,1 better, better Ferrari 0,1 worse, second Ferrari even worse (driver). Making up 0,8 and using Q2 vs Q3 because you liked it is all wrong. Not everyone got better on the second run in Q3, plus Hamilton wasn't there in China either (wrong anyway).

B. So now it's softs that Ferrari supposedly have a problem with and Merc is perfect at? I thought it was mediums which they don't run at all. How do you explain qualifying then which is on supersofts? I guess that covers all three compounds. Only hope is US and H but the pattern is not optimistic ;-)

Konpattsh

I don't know if i'm mistaken but during FP3 & Qualification looks like vettel was doing really fast sector 2 and good sector 3. Perhaps he choose a race setup for passing other cars on certain places like at turn 13 and to be able to stay close enough to get drs easily. As he new already he will have 5 places grid penalty
Leave me alone i know what i'm doing - Kimi
Stop all the bla bla bla let´s race on the limits and give the fans what they want on screaming monster formula one cars!!!

Jolle

Ok, I'm going to make a bold prediction. Rosberg is going to have an electrical "failure" and has to retire somewhere halfway through the race, presuming Hamilton stays clear of trouble in the first few laps.

Don't kill me off before the race, I'll swallow my words if it's another Rosberg's win with Hamilton coming in second or third.

Chuckjr

I see a lot of broken wings as faster cars attempt to move up the field...
Watching F1 since 1986.

iotar__

Konpattsh wrote:I don't know if i'm mistaken but during FP3 & Qualification looks like vettel was doing really fast sector 2 and good sector 3. Perhaps he choose a race setup for passing other cars on certain places like at turn 13 and to be able to stay close enough to get drs easily. As he new already he will have 5 places grid penalty
One stop = tyre management equally important as top speed (stretching stints(?), pace around pitstops) , the goal is the second place and competition is Williams. Max speed http://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula-o ... ormation-0:

1st 1 44 L. HAMILTON 277.8
2 6 N. ROSBERG 275.0
3 7 K. RAIKKONEN 274.8
7 5 S. VETTEL 272.8

2nd 1 5 S. VETTEL 339.0
2 88 R. HARYANTO 337.6
3 44 L. HAMILTON 337.2

3rd 44 L. HAMILTON 177.0
2 19 F. MASSA 176.6
3 5 S. VETTEL 175.5

Speed trap 4 19 F. MASSA 330.7 15:37:14
5 44 L. HAMILTON 330.5 15:29:27
6 77 V. BOTTAS 330.5 15:52:06
11 5 S. VETTEL 328.2 15:10:42

Differences are not that big 2- 3. You can have all kinds of theories: he was taking it easy - no chance to beat Rosberg, no chance to be lower than second. Forget China only and this damn marketing 0,1, there's Bahrain, China and Russia for a bigger picture and Ferrari being quite close.

basti313

iotar__ wrote:
basti313 wrote:
ringo wrote:
What's wrong with Ferrari? Nothing, it's same as China where they were 0,1 behind:
- China Rosberg - 1st F 0,51 - 2nd F 0,84
- Russia - 1st F 0,71 - 2nd F 1,14

A. Two tenths = Rosberg's lap 0,1 better, better Ferrari 0,1 worse, second Ferrari even worse (driver). Making up 0,8 and using Q2 vs Q3 because you liked it is all wrong. Not everyone got better on the second run in Q3, plus Hamilton wasn't there in China either (wrong anyway).

B. So now it's softs that Ferrari supposedly have a problem with and Merc is perfect at? I thought it was mediums which they don't run at all. How do you explain qualifying then which is on supersofts? I guess that covers all three compounds. Only hope is US and H but the pattern is not optimistic ;-)
Seems like you did not really understand my post. I am not talking about tires.
And furthermore I never questioned that the Ferrari is half a second behind. I even claimed, that the Merc has a second advantage before the season. The question is where this second now is coming from.
Don`t russel the hamster!

ollandos

i hope for good race today...r.i.p. ayrton senna ....the pain is here like every 1 may after 1994 ...