Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

"
Mercedes has confirmed that it has dipped into its remaining power unit development tokens to upgrade its fuel system ahead of the Russian Grand Prix.
The championship-leading team is fending off a strong challenge from Ferrari - which spent three tokens this weekend to bring an upgraded engine to Russia - which will see Mercedes upgrade its fuel systems along with the introduction of a new Petronas engine oil.
Unlike Ferrari, which has had to provide new power units to both its drivers, Mercedes can simply upgrade the current engines as the fuel system is "outside the sealed perimeter", meaning it doesn't count as an entirely new power unit.
Mercedes has also confirmed that its customers: Williams, Force India and Manor, will receive the upgrade this weekend.
The spend leaves Mercedes with 11 tokens for the remainder of the season, five more than Ferrari, but three less than Honda and 14 less than Renault.
"

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

'As part of the improvement[fuel system changes], Mercedes is also running a new oil from partner Petronas.'

What could be the possible connection?

Possibly a chemical interaction where one chemical can only be introduced in the fuel and the other in the oil?

Brian

PlatinumZealot

It could be steel pistons...

steel pistons run hot so oil breaks down at the rings and gum up the engine. but pistons are a core part so maybe not.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

PlatinumZealot

Lewis' engine ran on zero water pressure for the last 16 laps in Russia. Of course ambient pressure water is a sign of either pump failure or some sort of back pressure valve failure. The key thing to take from this is that the water did not boil at ambient, meaning these new engines can run at very low temperatures and the radiators are a little over-designed.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

PlatinumZealot wrote:Lewis' engine ran on zero water pressure for the last 16 laps in Russia. Of course ambient pressure water is a sign of either pump failure or some sort of back pressure valve failure. The key thing to take from this is that the water did not boil at ambient, meaning these new engines can run at very low temperatures and the radiators are a little over-designed.
I'd guess the radiators are over designed to cope with low water pressure or no water pressure.
Also interesting that Rosberg had an MGU-K issue and his fastest lap was set whilst they had the PU in "Safe mode".
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rosbe ... 33350/?s=1

Little dents in Mercedes PU reliability are cropping up, but I guess it's to be expected even in the PU that leads the
field.

giantfan10
giantfan10

taperoo2k wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:Lewis' engine ran on zero water pressure for the last 16 laps in Russia. Of course ambient pressure water is a sign of either pump failure or some sort of back pressure valve failure. The key thing to take from this is that the water did not boil at ambient, meaning these new engines can run at very low temperatures and the radiators are a little over-designed.
I'd guess the radiators are over designed to cope with low water pressure or no water pressure.
Also interesting that Rosberg had an MGU-K issue and his fastest lap was set whilst they had the PU in "Safe mode".

Little dents in Mercedes PU reliability are cropping up, but I guess it's to be expected even in the PU that leads the
field.
The MGU-K issue was resolved.. Rosbergs fastest lap was not set in safe mode lol

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Aren't they using some hightech waterless coolant, which has a much higher boiling point?

PlatinumZealot

If memory serves, by regulation only water based engine coolant is allowed. And water is actually the best coolant you can use. High heat capacity, light weight, very good convective coefficients, and you can use additives to raise the boiling point (though you lose out in heat capacity when you do this).
They could use oil based coolant but I am not sure if it would have an advantage.

Cannonballer
Cannonballer

Does anyone have a tally of how many Merc power units have failed, broken-down by team? I have a sense that the Mercedes team has suffered more failures than the customer teams. But that could be because a motor failure for the Mercedes team is reported on more.
Wazari wrote: There's a saying in Japan, He might be higher than testicles on a giraffe...........

Craigy

giantfan10 wrote:
taperoo2k wrote:

field.
The MGU-K issue was resolved.. Rosbergs fastest lap was not set in safe mode lol
According to f1.com, it was set in the safe setting.
Reference - http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-web ... ussia.html
Mercedes wrote:At the wheel, Nico wouldn't have had any inkling of the stress on the pit-wall. When he put in the fastest lap on the penultimate lap of the race, he was still in that 'safe' setting – demonstrating just how much pace the car had last weekend.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

PlatinumZealot wrote:If memory serves, by regulation only water based engine coolant is allowed. And water is actually the best coolant you can use. High heat capacity, light weight, very good convective coefficients, and you can use additives to raise the boiling point (though you lose out in heat capacity when you do this).
Water has some very good thermal conductivity advantages over other liquids. Plus you have to remember that water is also a solvent, so it's fairly easy to add other chemicals to it. I'm assuming they are likely allowed to add various chemicals to water i.e. limit corrosion of internal parts in case of leaks. I'm fairly sure with some clever chemistry you can probably add an anti corrosive additive that also raises the boiling point.
They could use oil based coolant but I am not sure if it would have an advantage.
I think the risk of an oil fire in a critical area might be why it's not used.

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

PlatinumZealot wrote:If memory serves, by regulation only water based engine coolant is allowed.
I don't think there is anything saying that coolant has to be water, in Β§7.5 where they use the wording:
"Any header tank used on the car with a water based coolant...."
This implies to me that water is not required but assumed for the reasons mentioned elsewhere.
Additionally, water is used as a synonym for coolant numerous times, however.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

3jawchuck wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:If memory serves, by regulation only water based engine coolant is allowed.
I don't think there is anything saying that coolant has to be water, in Β§7.5 where they use the wording:
This implies to me that water is not required but assumed for the reasons mentioned elsewhere.
Sounds like a loophole that can be exploited i.e. Use Water as a solvent for other chemicals.

PlatinumZealot

taperoo2k wrote:
3jawchuck wrote:
Sounds like a loophole that can be exploited i.e. Use Water as a solvent for other chemicals.
This is the norm even in regular coolants. But as I posted before, chemicals additive usually reduce the heat transfer properties of water. Most of the time the additives are for boiling point and corrosion inhibition. They reduce the heat capacity of water. Water's heat capacity is high because of it's chemical structure, when you dissolve things it it you inhibit this. So it is a tradeoff when you add chemicals to the water.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

PlatinumZealot wrote:
taperoo2k wrote:
3jawchuck wrote:
This is the norm even in regular coolants. But as I posted before, chemicals additive usually reduce the heat transfer properties of water. Most of the time the additives are for boiling point and corrosion inhibition. They reduce the heat capacity of water. Water's heat capacity is high because of it's chemical structure, when you dissolve things it it you inhibit this. So it is a tradeoff when you add chemicals to the water.
I know I'm a chemistry nerd. Might not be a bad thing to reduce the heat capacity of water as you can perhaps fine tune it to suit the characteristics of the PU to hit an optimal cooling level.