[KVRC] Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
julien.decharentenay
julien.decharentenay

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

CAEdevice wrote:
julien.decharentenay wrote:
CAEdevice wrote:The limit I have is that I am not able to extract the pressure differential and to write it in a log (as it happens with the areo forces).
Sorry about not having taken up on your earlier query on this. To extract the pressure differential, please do the following:

- Start ParaView;
- Open the openFoam file;
- Only select the boundary condition (in the part option) that you want to calculate the surface integral of pressure on;
- Apply a calculator filter;
- Set a new field "Pressure = 1.2 * p" (the pressure calculated and output by openFoam is normalised by the density);
- Apply the Surface Integral Filter;
- the surface integral of pressure is reported under Pressure.

Change the selected boundary condition to extract the value at the other surface.
CAEdevice wrote:Another issues for a beginner is the manage the double start (preliminary run). What about starting directly from the second stage?
You can, but it just takes longer to establish, hence more iterations...

I finally managed to find a way to calculate the integral of presisone with Paraview (thanks Julien ), however , there is something wrong with the post processing (it fails very often when generating the pictures): it would be useful to calculate the COP by hand (I do it approximating the drag resulting position) . What is the algorithm used by OCCFD ? Would it be possible to include the COP in a text report ad not only in the HTML report ?
This was part of my plan (to output the values in a text file rather than a CSV. There is a way to calculate the CoP manually, but I am reviewing it at the moment - MantiumRAY queried me and found a (likely) small bias in my calculation.

On the race #1 news, the CFD simulations are coming through. RicME is currently at the front of the pack - of currently five simulations, so it could change, and this result needs to be peer-reviewed by Chris. The resubmission deadline for non-compliance was pushed back to 6th May due to delay in compliance checking...

RicME85

Had the result email through :)

RicME85

cdsavage wrote:..
Chris, when you do the legality check for the front suspension, what position do you use for checking from the front?
Do you use the default front view in a specific program?

cdsavage
cdsavage

RicME85 wrote:
cdsavage wrote:..
Chris, when you do the legality check for the front suspension, what position do you use for checking from the front?
Do you use the default front view in a specific program?
I use an orthographic front view. In Paraview for example, you can do this using the "Use Parallel Projection" option in the settings.

RicME85

thankyou, just wanted to make sure was working off the same hymn sheet as I know different programs have different camera views

julien.decharentenay
julien.decharentenay

Chris should be sending the compliance email shortly (or has already done so). The resubmission deadline has been moved back to the 8th May to allow for a couple of days...

Alonso Fan

My car was illegal :mrgreen:

Minor issues which I would have an could have sorted out had I not been stuck for time. And Chris pointed out the hole in my car :)
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

CAEdevice

I have just received the results: I could have done a bit better (I noticed a small issue caused by the front suspension interaction with the flow around the diffuser when it was too late to find a solution) but I am happy because the official data are exactly the same of my local simulation. This is important (it was my biggest limit during 2015) because it makes the development more interesting.

graham.reeds
graham.reeds

Slightly OT.

This link came through earlier in the week but I forgot to post it.

https://youtu.be/j0IKIvZPtfE

It is a SimScale tutorial entitled Aerodynamics of Futuristic Car.

Note: I haven't watched it myself yet.

CAEdevice

graham.reeds wrote:Slightly OT.

This link came through earlier in the week but I forgot to post it.

https://youtu.be/j0IKIvZPtfE

It is a SimScale tutorial entitled Aerodynamics of Futuristic Car.

Note: I haven't watched it myself yet.
I would like to see a demo with a KVRC car too :)

Alonso Fan

Seems to have gone a bit quiet

How are the simulations coming on Chris?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

cdsavage
cdsavage

Alonso Fan wrote:Seems to have gone a bit quiet

We're just waiting for the simulations for the resubmitted entries to finish. Hopefully everyone who was not asked to make another submission has received the compliance check email and the simulation results by now.

Alonso Fan

I've only received the compliance check email, but not the results
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

HP-Racing
HP-Racing

cdsavage wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote:Seems to have gone a bit quiet

We're just waiting for the simulations for the resubmitted entries to finish. Hopefully everyone who was not asked to make another submission has received the compliance check email and the simulation results by now.
We have only recieved the compliance information.

cdsavage
cdsavage

Ok, let me check what's happened with the first round of simulations, sounds like there's been a problem.