[KVRC] Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
graham.reeds
graham.reeds

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

AratzH wrote:My actual car has footbox full up and suspension full down. It's all about flow management.
My foot box is at the maximum height (though it appears to intersect the front bodywork area). My suspension is currently unmoved as I am trying various ducting.

My biggest disappointment was finding I couldn't design a seamless windscreen/crash structure with a constant slope.

My first design I came up with looked very familiar so I started looking through the Type C era cars to see what it reminded me of. Turns out I had subconsciously channeled the Sauber C8!

RicME85

Just noticed the sidepod is different in the new version of the into body so the extension I had for the first race which extends the sidepod down to the floor no longer fits :(

machin

Is that true Chris? I'll check myself when I'm back at my computer...
cdsavage wrote:Any parts modeled to the original parts should fit the new parts without problems, but if there's any doubt, for the next round we'll continue to use the original parts and only switch over for round 2.
Onshape have used my bodykit as the basis for their forthcoming online tutorial.... Is there a risk that the new part won't fit with what they've made?
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

RicME85

machin wrote:...
Here you go, I have overlaid the two versions. In white is the original version and in green the new one with the changed engine intake. You can see the changes Chris has made to give more space at the front and near the sidepod to give the intake more feed but you can also see that the new sidepod is slightly wider than the old one so its not possible to use old parts here.

machin

Aghhh yes... I concur: I've just loaded up the new parts too....

machin

I'll message Chris, as there are only 3 of us in the Intro Class at the moment and Onshape are also using my Bodykit it might make sense to retain the original parts... Even if the the engine inlets are technically "illegal" (undersized) maybe we should even agree these should remain as-is... None of us have had a problem with inlet pressure... Ric, what is your opinion?

If anyone else on this Forum was also planning on entering the Intro class, maybe now would be a good time to make your presence known.... And advise which body parts you have used....

CAEdevice

You are not encountering problems also because the flow rate bc is about half of the more realistic 2017 value (and so is the pressure differential): the same happens to me, I use regular inlets (50000mm2) but smaller inlets (35000mm2) would be enough to obtain the required pressure differential.

RicME85

Re: RE: Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

machin wrote:I'll message Chris, as there are only 3 of us in the Intro Class at the moment and Onshape are also using my Bodykit it might make sense to retain the original parts... Even if the the engine inlets are technically "illegal" (undersized) maybe we should even agree these should remain as-is... None of us have had a problem with inlet pressure... Ric, what is your opinion?

If anyone else on this Forum was also planning on entering the Intro class, maybe now would be a good time to make your presence known.... And advise which body parts you have used....
I would rather keep the original geometry. For a start the inlets look better but also I have had nothing but trouble since switching to the new geometry, for some reason I'm having OCCFD issues where its taking longer and not producing results (I'm getting forces that are in the millions and no plots included in the analysis)

No Lotus
No Lotus

machin wrote:If anyone else on this Forum was also planning on entering the Intro class, maybe now would be a good time to make your presence known.... And advise which body parts you have used....
I am intending to enter a car in the next race, Monaco, and that will likely have to be in the intro class to start. I downloaded the intro body parts a couple of weeks ago and don't know at the moment which version they are, but have no preference.

If I can get a full entry finished, would it be possible to enter cars in both the intro and full classes?
SCUDERIA FASE
2016 Phase 1

RicME85

No Lotus wrote:...
This will help you identify which version you have.

First iteration:
Latest iteration:

No Lotus
No Lotus

RicME85 wrote:
No Lotus wrote:...
This will help you identify which version you have.

First iteration:
http://postimg.org/image/71o3pd1y3/
Latest iteration:
http://postimg.org/image/6q6nclli3/
Ok, it's the latest version.
SCUDERIA FASE
2016 Phase 1

machin

I've messaged Chris and Julien...

Hi No Lotus, welcome. There is nothing stopping you entering two teams I don't think, but don't underestimate how long it takes to do one car... I think we'd all like more time and we're only doing one each... It is easy to find yourself making lots of little refinements!

CAEdevice

I would like to recommend an interesting article about the rear wing profiles on Racecar Engineering (p.58): it can be useful for the KVRC designers.

On page 61 there is another interesting thing from the KVRC point of view :)

machin

CAEdevice wrote:
On page 61 there is another interesting thing from the KVRC point of view :)
Is that a certain advert by a certain participant?! I've seen it in the magazine the last few issues... I hope he is getting some work from it....?

CAEdevice

I hope so, he would deserve it. To see a car from KVRC on an important magazine is a positive fact.
I think that the designers of best teams (Variante, JJR, Mantium, TF, ...) could do interesting things in the real (I mean "material") races.