[KVRC] Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
variante

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

No Lotus wrote:If I can get a full entry finished, would it be possible to enter cars in both the intro and full classes?
While I have no problems with you, a newcomer, racing two cars per time, I would have problems with someone else -say JJR, Mantium, CAEdevice,...- doing the same. In fact, your direct opponents could have something to say about it...

Submitting two cars would also increase the time spent by Chris and Julien, with further delays.

If you manage to finish the full car in time, and you think it's a better one, why don't you just submit that one?

As an aside note, it would be interesting to challenge in the Class2 all the teams, besides Class1.

CAEdevice

With a intro class car it is not impossible to reach the podium, a target df around 8000N should be realistic. Considering that most of the teams are below that limit, I think that running to cars (in different classes) would not be very useful.

RicME85

Have you looked in to the intro class Matteo? Just curious due to the figure you gave.

CAEdevice

RicME85 wrote:Have you looked in to the intro class Matteo? Just curious due to the figure you gave.
Hi Rich, I haven't simulated an intro class car, but (for curiosity) I imported Chris' model into my assembly and I was surprised about the similarities between the two car bodies. Some surfaces that I designed "CFD guided" are almost overlapping. That is why I suppose that values.

RicME85

Ah I see.
Well my surgery that was supposed to be happening next week has been postponed so it means I have time to work on my car as the changes I have made are creating issues in meshing it seems (getting massive force figures that don't make sense). Those changes were a bit rushed because of the looming surgery date so now its changed I can sit and improve the geometry as I am determined to gain more down force, so much so I have ordered Competition Car Downforce from Amazon.

CAEdevice

It looks interesting! I should read it too.

I have been quite busy in the last weeks, so my car for Monaco (the submission date is very near) will be a fine tuned release of the one I used at Nurburgring.

What about the missing results of Race 1?

LVDH

machin wrote:
CAEdevice wrote:
On page 61 there is another interesting thing from the KVRC point of view :)
Is that a certain advert by a certain participant?! I've seen it in the magazine the last few issues... I hope he is getting some work from it....?
The worst thing is that I have not got hold of the latest issue myself. Looks like I will have to put more time into my car so Matteo can make sure I do not miss a single one next year.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
machin wrote:
CAEdevice wrote:
On page 61 there is another interesting thing from the KVRC point of view :)
Is that a certain advert by a certain participant?! I've seen it in the magazine the last few issues... I hope he is getting some work from it....?
The worst thing is that I have not got hold of the latest issue myself. Looks like I will have to put more time into my car so Matteo can make sure I do not miss a single one next year.
Four or five team are working with the same goal , I hope the simulation problems of Race 1 will be solved soon, it promises to be an interesting championship.

No Lotus

I've just registered my team as "Scuderia Fase" in the introductory subclass. The first car is the "Phase 1".
SCUDERIA FASE
2016 Phase 1

machin

Cool.. a lot of us put our team name in our Forum signature so that we can see who is who! It can get very confusing (especially when someone else registers a team name with your personal name in it! :twisted: )
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

RicME85

Good to have another intro class competitor.
In my opinion there is plenty to learn from entering the intro class. I'm hoping that once now I have the book Competition Car Downforce as well as a season in intro class I can go all out next season.

CAEdevice

No Lotus wrote:I've just registered my team as "Scuderia Fase" in the introductory subclass. The first car is the "Phase 1".
"Scuderia Fase" sounds like your are from Italy. Is there a third Italian team with Variante and CAEdevice?

cdsavage

The full results for round 1: we don't have a good solution yet for the problems mentioned earlier. We need to move forward, so for round 1 we're using the initial results as-is, but we probably won't award full points. It looks like Julien is having some PC problems at the moment, I need to discuss it with him before we decide whether/how to award points.

Here are the full results. We suspect most of the 40% power entries had issues with the intake or exhaust pressure. The Kineuton entry had a separate problem with the COP calculation, and the sjns-Racing and SHM Racing entries had failed simulations.

Code: Select all

Type   Cd.A   Cl.A    CoP     Power    Time
                   Variante    F    1.70   7.91   1.668    100%    371.78
                 JJR racing    F    1.52   7.67   1.689    100%    372.66
                  CAEdevice    F    1.74   8.07   1.728    100%    373.01
                         TF    F    1.27   6.70   1.557    100%    377.05
                  HP-Racing    F    1.45   6.42   1.692    100%    378.52
           RicME Motorsport    I    1.26   4.37   1.688    100%    387.50
Competition Car Engineering    I    1.08   4.35   1.793    100%    388.33
                   Kineuton    F    1.34   6.42   1.020    100%    389.34
       Machin's Shiny Melon    I    1.06   4.00   1.855    100%    390.73
                 MantiumRAY    F    1.78   9.40   1.612     40%    404.22
                TalnoRacing    F    1.31   5.61   1.697     40%    422.70
          Pure Power Racing    F    1.66   5.03   1.660     40%    427.15
          MercuryMotorsport    F    1.69   3.89   1.570     40%    434.61
                sjns-Racing         -
                 SHM Racing         -

CAEdevice

Maybe a finer mesh on the inlet/outlet surface could help? I have not understood exactly wich the problem is.
Insufficient pressure differential and huge cl.a are the same I obtained with that (wrong) placements of the inlets. Once I moved the inlets in a different placement, I solved the cooling issues but with lower df.

I am not enthusiast about the proposal of assigning reduced points.

What about the next race? I hope it will not be delayed.

No Lotus

CAEdevice wrote:
No Lotus wrote:I've just registered my team as "Scuderia Fase" in the introductory subclass. The first car is the "Phase 1".
"Scuderia Fase" sounds like your are from Italy. Is there a third Italian team with Variante and CAEdevice?
I aspire to be Italian in spirit (my dad and grandmother lived in Rome in the '50's and spoke Italian) and we all know that Italian cars are the fastest. :D

BTW, I had contacted you some time ago through PM and have not yet responded to your response. Please let me apologize for that. I am working on an aero project with a couple of the guys on here.
SCUDERIA FASE
2016 Phase 1