Few Questions for my F1 project

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PunkHazard

Few Questions for my F1 project

Hello all, i m new to this forum so i dont know in wich section i have to put my question..... :roll:
I m 20 yrs old and i study programming, for this year s end of semstr we were given a project in wich we have to create a program (c language) that can allow a user (supposedly FIA employee) to fully manage an F1 season :
Add pilots , teams ... grands prix , write time results , display general teams and pilots standing.... save and load other seasons....
i hav few questions about somethings:
1-i know that each team can have more than 2 pilots, but only 2 can participate in a Grand Prix. but is it possible for a team to start with only 1 pilot
2-lets say if a pilot died or a team ended by forfeiting from th season where do all there points go and do they still put them in the general standing (i have to make account of all possibilities )
example : pilot x won first position in first GP but he died in second :mrgreen: , in the general standing do i put him like in his position by his points (which r 25 and there is probably other bellow him) and put deceased or do i put him in last position or even delete all his presence in the season thus that will affect the points of all pilots since the 2nd of the first GP will become 1rst........
3- is it possible for a team to be entirely pulled out in mid season? (in another way: do i make a command that allows the user to fully delete a team and its pilots from th season at any time or is it absurd) in case of yes what does happen to their standing and pts??? (qst 2)

well thats all i can think off right now, it would be wonderful if u giv me some advices and ideas to make my program more reallistic .... thnx all :D

turbof1

Re: Few Questions for my F1 project

I am not going to do your work on it, but I can set you on the right path: look for Marussia F1 and Jules Bianchi in 2014. It'll answer almost if not all of your questions.
#AeroFrodo

gridwalker

Number 2 is fairly easy to answer : a dead driver's points still count.

F1 has even had a posthumous world champion, Jochen Rindt, who was awarded the championship after his death during practice for the 1970 Italian GP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jochen_Rindt
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

PunkHazard

thnx *turbof1 & *gridwalker i guess 2 & 3 r answered but what about 1 :
can a team have 1 driver or does it have to be 2 or more ( like when the user chooses to add a team do i force him to add 2 pilots and add a 3rd if he wants or let him make the choice , if so he might choose to add only 1 ...... is it possible only 1??)
again thnx a lot for th fast replies

domh245

If you want to make life difficult for yourself, you can have a read of the F1 sporting regulations, which will cover everything that you need to know (as well as plenty more that you don't)

Answering your questions directly,

1) Yes, at FIA's dispensation. Can also occur if after the qualifying session, one driver picks up an injury and can't make the race start (see Australian GP 2015)

2) Points will still count and as mentioned, there has been a posthumous champion

3) Teams have pulled out midseason, most recently Marussia and Caterham (ish) at the end of 2014. Other examples include Brabham in the 1992 season and Super Aguri in 2008. They still carry any points that they had gained and will rank above any teams that didn't score.

Further to 1) Drivers can be changed mid-season (see Max Verstappen/Daniil Kvyat this season). The points they gained for the constructors championship remain with the constructor, the points picked up for the Driver's championship, they keep. There are reserve drivers as well, who can race and score points for the team, provided they are given permission to start - see Stoffel Vandoorne at Bahrain 2016 for example.

PunkHazard

thnx a lot * domh245 i guess that pretty much covers it all :)))))

zac510

As for question 3, it is very rare in software to actually delete data.
If a team leaves or is ejected from a championship, what you would do is set that data to be "inactive" by some means, usually setting an inactive date.
This will help when you write up the grid for the next race; only active teams will be included.

You should plan your database extensively to take into account all of the edge cases (noted in this thread) before you even start to write some code :)
No good turn goes unpunished.

graham.reeds

Write unit tests!

zac510

graham.reeds wrote:Write unit tests!
Definitely bonus points for doing that :D
No good turn goes unpunished.