Where will McLaren finish in Monaco (prediction)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
McMrocks

Re: Where will McLaren finish in Monaco (prediction)

As this is a technical forum i'd say they will finish in the parc ferme unless they retire or crash out. After the race the car will be subject to a scrutineering where fuel samples are taken, the plank wear is meassured and many other things are checked

graham.reeds

Double DNF.

Alonso tangles with Hulkenburg losing front wing and collides with barrier at the hairpin (turn 6) and Button breaks down in the tunnel but manages to limp out and down the hill to safety.

godlameroso

Vasconia wrote:
mikeerfol wrote:
Vasconia wrote:What we need is rain, so start singing boys and girls!!
It's still early but it may happen according to the current forecasts..
Weather forecast always promise rain but they fail. It would be great but I dont believe it until I can see it in front of my very eyes.
Rain is starting to seem more likely for the race, although you can't say for sure.
Saishū kōnā

zac510

I love and hate these prediction threads. In the pre-season I threatened to make some people accoutable for their wild predictions:

Anyway, here goes:
haza wrote:I think they'll finish top 5
Half correct
davidfroshanzen wrote:i bet for 6-10
Half correct
bauc wrote:We all know Monaco is all about qualy so I would hope in top 5, but if it is boring race I would say 6-8 place
Negative
Alonsofor2017 wrote:Technically if they do have the third best chassis like they say they do, they should be just behind Mercedes red bull and Ferrari, so that would mean qualifying 7-8 but I belive they will be fighting with Toro Rossi for those places, so qualifying anywhere in between 7-10 should be expected with maybe a 1.2-1.5 second gap to the lead
Half correct
a1b2i3r45 wrote: McLaren's tire choice does not inspire confidence. At best, 7th and 9th.
Half correct
Kiril Varbanov wrote:8 - 12 place. I predict bad luck for them.
Half correct
Jolle wrote: So, if all goes as planned they would fight wirh the STRs and FIs behind the RBRs, Mercs and Ferraries for place 7.
Mix that with the Monaco magic and Monaco bad luck, I would say, 5th and 9th :-)
Whoa!
FrukostScones wrote:ALO 2nd BUT 10th
Negative
mikeerfol wrote:Both to finish in top 8.
Negative
BanMeToo wrote:One retire, one 6th.
Half correct
OneAlex wrote:Presuming nothing messy happens up front: RET, and 10th.
If something messy happens: RET and 8th.
Negative
Vasconia wrote: It will be a tough battle because TR should be strong here. I think Saiz will be ahead of both McLaren.
Negative
godlameroso wrote: i'd say 6th & 7th, just in front of STR.
Half correct
ME4ME wrote: I think they'll beat Sainz, but otherwise, yeah .. Alonso 7th, Button 8th.
Negative
f1316 wrote:I think they have every chance of 7 and 8 but can't see how they progress beyond that without problems for others.
Negative
NL_Fer wrote:Bulls, Mercs, Ferrari's, Sainz i think 8th and 9th
Half correct
McMrocks wrote:As this is a technical forum i'd say they will finish in the parc ferme unless they retire or crash out. After the race the car will be subject to a scrutineering where fuel samples are taken, the plank wear is meassured and many other things are checked
Correct!
graham.reeds wrote:Double DNF.
Negative

2 correct out of 18.

I think these threads are pretty pointless and should be locked on this, a technical forum.
No good turn goes unpunished.

Jolle

So, what do I win? :P

Miguel

zac510 wrote:I think these threads are pretty pointless and should be locked on this, a technical forum.
Au contraire! Where's the fun in predicting where will Mercedes qualify in Canada? Mid-grid teams are much better. For example, come Canada, the engine will regain importance, but traction and braking is crucial. I believe the RBR is the best car at braking this year. So for the next GP, will RBR go backwards due to engine, stay level with Ferrari (engine vs. mechanical grip) or will they rock the world? Even better, will Sergio Perez, fresh from a podium in Monaco, and with strong historic performance in Montreal, do a double?

I say trying to predict the result for a different mid-grid team each race is good. Plus you get to look at cars other than the usual suspects.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

OneAlex

I'll hold my hands up, they did better than I expected them to. I was doubly wrong because I thought they'd come a cropper on strategy due to rustiness but they actually made a good call with Alonso.

Presumably Jolle is now going down to the shop to go and buy a lottery ticket.

Jolle

OneAlex wrote:I'll hold my hands up, they did better than I expected them to. I was doubly wrong because I thought they'd come a cropper on strategy due to rustiness but they actually made a good call with Alonso.

Presumably Jolle is now going down to the shop to go and buy a lottery ticket.
Nah, it's still 5% skills and 95% luck :P

Andres125sx

OneAlex wrote:I'll hold my hands up, they did better than I expected them to. I was doubly wrong because I thought they'd come a cropper on strategy due to rustiness but they actually made a good call with Alonso.
A spanish newspaper says Alonso asked the team to stay out one more lap because he was watching (cant remember the driver) who was, with slicks, fast on S1 but slow on S2 and S3, so he asked the team to stay out one more lap, and that allow him to pass Vettel and Hulkemberg

Not sure if real or not tough
Last edited by Andres125sx on 30 May 2016, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.

Andres125sx

Jolle wrote:Hmmm, nice prediction game!

So, if all goes as planned they would fight wirh the STRs and FIs behind the RBRs, Mercs and Ferraries for place 7.
Mix that with the Monaco magic and Monaco bad luck, I would say, 5th and 9th :-)
:shock: :shock: :shock:

OMG, right in the center! =D>

When I read this post these predictions looked extremely optimist in my mind, I´m glad I was wrong

Samraj_official

Jolle wrote:Hmmm, nice prediction game!

So, if all goes as planned they would fight wirh the STRs and FIs behind the RBRs, Mercs and Ferraries for place 7.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

wowwww!!!!!!

zac510

Miguel wrote:
zac510 wrote:I think these threads are pretty pointless and should be locked on this, a technical forum.
Au contraire! Where's the fun in predicting where will Mercedes qualify in Canada? Mid-grid teams are much better. For example, come Canada, the engine will regain importance, but traction and braking is crucial. I believe the RBR is the best car at braking this year. So for the next GP, will RBR go backwards due to engine, stay level with Ferrari (engine vs. mechanical grip) or will they rock the world? Even better, will Sergio Perez, fresh from a podium in Monaco, and with strong historic performance in Montreal, do a double?

I say trying to predict the result for a different mid-grid team each race is good. Plus you get to look at cars other than the usual suspects.
Well I think it's just onanism unless you or someone else is involved and keeping track of the results, checking whether you were correct or not after the event. That's why I quoted all these people - to make them accountable. Most people would just rather forget their bad prediction.

Overall I like the thread because it's a perfect example of how humans love to make predictions but are utterly terrible at it - in other words, your signature is correct :)! Really only 1 person out of 18 here were correct but at least he's humble enough to know a lot of luck was involved. For an engineering-type forum, for people to engage in this folly of 95% luck is very surprising. It'd be interesting if people included some data in their predictions - it might actually improve the level of accuracy.
Andres125sx wrote:When I read this post these predictions looked extremely optimist in my mind, I´m glad I was wrong
This is not because of McLaren it's because of human behaviour; scientifically tested and proven to be optimistic. Another flaw in human logic is having the belief that a more detailed prediction is more likely to occur.
No good turn goes unpunished.

pob

If only there was some sort of game where you predict the result of the next race and be given points for how right you are :wink:

dodds_turbo

pob wrote:If only there was some sort of game where you predict the result of the next race and be given points for how right you are :wink:
I think you're on to something here... Wonder if it'll ever take off, probably not too popular. 8)

skoop

dodds_turbo wrote:
pob wrote:If only there was some sort of game where you predict the result of the next race and be given points for how right you are :wink:
I think you're on to something here... Wonder if it'll ever take off, probably not too popular. 8)
if someone finds something, please create a thread