Aston Martin wants hyper-car to be faster than F1 cars

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
DiogoBrand

Re: Aston Martin wants hyper-car to be faster than F1 cars

SR71 wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:
SR71 wrote:
This is generally a true statement when something new is tried out. Has applied throughout all of time and will continue to apply long in the future.

It's safe to say nobody has tried this before - there are no parallels here.

-40% more downforce shouldnt be hard at all, they are unrestrained here. F1 cars produce lots of downforce yes, but the formula is extremely limited. AM/RB are specifically trying to highlight this - when you think about whats possible with respect to downforce, F1 cars are quite a joke actually.

-1260 HP (or abouts) in a lightweight production car is quickly becoming quite standard for hypercars.

-Mech grip shouldnt be an issue. I understand wanting to use F1 tires available grip as some sort of standard but we all know they are no standard and are rubbish. Pirelli have a contract and create a product to match the needs of the client. Surely, AM/RB will put out a new contract with new requirements and some vendor will create a tire to match the performance envelope of the car.

Thanks for breaking this down into numbers around 1000kg car. It really highlights how doable this is with the right team and resources.
You can't say it's doable or not unless know what's the friction coefficient of an F1 tyre, and have no idea what it takes to achieve something 40% higher than that.
Hypercars with 1260HP aren't standard.
Hypercars under 1000Kg aren't standard.
Hypercars with 1260HP and under 1000Kg are definitely not standard, and far away from being standard.

That just goes to show how someone can look ridiculous when arguing without understanding the numbers, but since you make everything up to suit your opinion I'm just losing my time by pointing this out.
Well i was misleading you a bit. Hypercars aren't standard in any sense of the term so not really a valid statement to say something is standard about them.

unfortunatly for you though, the One:1 (1300kg 1300hp) is a production car. So is the Hennessy GT (1200kg 1400hp).

These cars weren't created with the same performance goals AM/RB have set so it's not fair to directly compare them but they are an easy marker for what small limited resource companies can do - AM/RB have the best aero team in the world on thier side and deep pockets.
So redbull is the only company in the world with deep pockets and aerodynamicists, and that's why they're capable of taking an One:1 and shaving 370Kg off it (I mentioned 1000Kg with driver, don't forget), making it produce 40% more DF than F1 and bolting tyres with 40% more grip and 40% more load resistance than F1 tyres into it? Let's not forget that you want tyres with 40% more grip than the "rubbish" ones that just beat the World Record in Bahrain.
If I knew that they were the only company in the world with a lot of money and that they had all those capabilities I wouldn't even be arguing with you.

Seriously now, I'm really interested to know that motivates you to post basically half of all the posts on this thread, the vast majority of which are to be a pain in the ass to someone with facts, even though you bear no knowledge at all to make those statements. What also brings a guy to create a thread just to show that in his opinion Sebastian Vettel is the best driver in history, and another thread just to annoy the moderators of the forum.
Seriously man, I can't even begin to guess what brings someone to behave like this, and am really interested to know, could you please tell me what makes you so special?

SR71

DiogoBrand wrote:
SR71 wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:
You can't say it's doable or not unless know what's the friction coefficient of an F1 tyre, and have no idea what it takes to achieve something 40% higher than that.
Hypercars with 1260HP and under 1000Kg are definitely not standard, and far away from being standard.

That just goes to show how someone can look ridiculous when arguing without understanding the numbers, but since you make everything up to suit your opinion I'm just losing my time by pointing this out.
Well i was misleading you a bit. Hypercars aren't standard in any sense of the term so not really a valid statement to say something is standard about them.

unfortunatly for you though, the One:1 (1300kg 1300hp) is a production car. So is the Hennessy GT (1200kg 1400hp).

These cars weren't created with the same performance goals AM/RB have set so it's not fair to directly compare them but they are an easy marker for what small limited resource companies can do - AM/RB have the best aero team in the world on thier side and deep pockets.
So redbull is the only company in the world with deep pockets and aerodynamicists, and that's why they're capable of taking an One:1 and shaving 370Kg off it (I mentioned 1000Kg with driver, don't forget), making it produce 40% more DF than F1 and bolting tyres with 40% more grip and 40% more load resistance than F1 tyres into it? Let's not forget that you want tyres with 40% more grip than the "rubbish" ones that just beat the World Record in Bahrain.
If I knew that they were the only company in the world with a lot of money and that they had all those capabilities I wouldn't even be arguing with you.

Seriously now, I'm really interested to know that motivates you to post basically half of all the posts on this thread, the vast majority of which are to be a pain in the ass to someone with facts, even though you bear no knowledge at all to make those statements. What also brings a guy to create a thread just to show that in his opinion Sebastian Vettel is the best driver in history, and another thread just to annoy the moderators of the forum.
Seriously man, I can't even begin to guess what brings someone to behave like this, and am really interested to know, could you please tell me what makes you so special?
I'm sorry, when did I say red bull was the only company in the world world capable of the challenge?

Edis

DiogoBrand wrote: So redbull is the only company in the world with deep pockets and aerodynamicists, and that's why they're capable of taking an One:1 and shaving 370Kg off it (I mentioned 1000Kg with driver, don't forget), making it produce 40% more DF than F1 and bolting tyres with 40% more grip and 40% more load resistance than F1 tyres into it? Let's not forget that you want tyres with 40% more grip than the "rubbish" ones that just beat the World Record in Bahrain.
Start with something lighter instead. The Caparo T1 for instance is just 470 kg dry with its 575 hp engine. With turbocharging the output would easily exceed 1000 hp without increasing the weight of the car that much.

Making a road car that can compete with a F1 car for lap times isn't that difficult, but it would have to be quite extreme and not a very good roadcar.

DiogoBrand

Edis wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote: So redbull is the only company in the world with deep pockets and aerodynamicists, and that's why they're capable of taking an One:1 and shaving 370Kg off it (I mentioned 1000Kg with driver, don't forget), making it produce 40% more DF than F1 and bolting tyres with 40% more grip and 40% more load resistance than F1 tyres into it? Let's not forget that you want tyres with 40% more grip than the "rubbish" ones that just beat the World Record in Bahrain.
Start with something lighter instead. The Caparo T1 for instance is just 470 kg dry with its 575 hp engine. With turbocharging the output would easily exceed 1000 hp without increasing the weight of the car that much.

Making a road car that can compete with a F1 car for lap times isn't that difficult, but it would have to be quite extreme and not a very good roadcar.
I'd hardly call the Caparo a usable two-seater.

Edis

DiogoBrand wrote:
Edis wrote:

I'd hardly call the Caparo a usable two-seater.
But it is a road legal two seater which is what matters, and with fuel and driver it weighs in at only 600 kg; substantially below 1000 kg.

Allow the weight to increase by 100 kg and you could widen the tub, increase the output to +1000 hp, fit wider tires, add active suspension and increase downforce allowing both better performance and better usability.

Pierce89

SR71 wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:
SR71 wrote:
This is generally a true statement when something new is tried out. Has applied throughout all of time and will continue to apply long in the future.

It's safe to say nobody has tried this before - there are no parallels here.

-40% more downforce shouldnt be hard at all, they are unrestrained here. F1 cars produce lots of downforce yes, but the formula is extremely limited. AM/RB are specifically trying to highlight this - when you think about whats possible with respect to downforce, F1 cars are quite a joke actually.

-1260 HP (or abouts) in a lightweight production car is quickly becoming quite standard for hypercars.

-Mech grip shouldnt be an issue. I understand wanting to use F1 tires available grip as some sort of standard but we all know they are no standard and are rubbish. Pirelli have a contract and create a product to match the needs of the client. Surely, AM/RB will put out a new contract with new requirements and some vendor will create a tire to match the performance envelope of the car.

Thanks for breaking this down into numbers around 1000kg car. It really highlights how doable this is with the right team and resources.

The best aero team in the world? I'm sure plenty of aerospace guys might question that statement. It's bs anyway, because RBR's aero team spends all their paid time on f1. AM has Newey working on it, not RBR.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

gandharva

- limited edition (~100 cars)
- 3,3 mio €
- by the end of 2018
- completely sold out already ^^

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 27508.html

FoxHound

So still over 2 years away from being delivered!
JET set

SR71

FoxHound wrote:So still over 2 years away from being delivered!
Yet they will be showing and possibly running a prototype at Goodwood in June of this year.

I though the project only started a few months ago? How could they have a prototype ready so fast unless newey broke the laws of physics :-)

FoxHound

SR71 wrote:
Yet they will be showing and possibly running a prototype at Goodwood in June of this year.

I though the project only started a few months ago? How could they have a prototype ready so fast unless newey broke the laws of physics :-)
Because a prototype that needs to run 2.4 miles, doesn't need to pass any production, quality or reliability tests, that probably won't be running the actual engine, or the actual aero spec, can be knocked up in a matter of months.

McLaren built a mule in a couple of months to showcase a concept to Mercedes.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/scoop ... merc-track
JET set

No Lotus

SR71 wrote:

Because they've been working on the car since it was an Infinity / RedBull.
SCUDERIA FASE
2016 Phase 1

SR71

No Lotus wrote:
SR71 wrote:

Because they've been working on the car since it was an Infinity / RedBull.
thats the real answer. the project started over a year ago.

but a press release to some members is more relevant than actual timelines.

SR71

FoxHound wrote:
SR71 wrote:

Because a prototype that needs to run 2.4 miles, doesn't need to pass any production, quality or reliability tests, that probably won't be running the actual engine, or the actual aero spec, can be knocked up in a matter of months.

McLaren built a mule in a couple of months to showcase a concept to Mercedes.
http://images.cdn.autocar.co.uk/sites/a ... k=32cutbwZ
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/scoop ... merc-track

super cool post.

you really think thats what AM/RB will show up with at Goodwood?

On top of that, a running prototype of similiar nature would still be impossoble to produce if we based the project timeline off the press release date.

maybe if some members accepted that press release dates have nothing to do with project timelines we wouldnt be having these pointless debates and could be talking about the actual real techincal and engineering relevance.

Pierce89

Bottom line, if a car that can road registered in the US beats a current f1 car around Silverstone, I'll eat my hat, your hat, or any other relevant piece of clothing. (I seem to remember a balaclava coming up in one of these types of discussion.)
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

FoxHound

Pierce89 wrote:Bottom line, if a car that can road registered in the US beats a current f1 car around Silverstone, I'll eat my hat, your hat, or any other relevant piece of clothing. (I seem to remember a balaclava coming up in one of these types of discussion.)
Nomex.

Yes... add me to this list Pierce.
JET set