F1 Bloopers and Head-scratchers: Rules Edition

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bhall II
bhall II

F1 Bloopers and Head-scratchers: Rules Edition

Steven wrote:Perhaps we can make a thread to see what people think are the biggest regulatory mistakes in the history of Formula One. That has some potential... anyone willing to start off?

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Re: F1 Bloopers and Head-scratchers: Rules Edition

Great post. =D>

Not as much of a blooper, but I always though these were dumb.

RA168E
RA168E

There is nothing wrong with the new Engine Formula. The fuel flow limit is the only negative in this.

piast9
piast9

I have completely different opinion on the fuel flow limit. In my eyes it is brilliant. It is easiest way to keep the engine power in bay. It makes the efficiency important. Additionally its introduction practically made the rpm limter non-existent, which in turn made slipstream overtaking much easier since the faster car does not bounce of the rpm limiter at the end of the long straights.

But the weight of that hybrid engines is apalling. F1 racing car should be light and powerfull. 702 kg today and 722 for 2017 is ridiculous. It is over 100 kg more than it should be in my opinion.

Pierce89

RA168E wrote:There is nothing wrong with the new Engine Formula. The fuel flow limit is the only negative in this.
The fuel flow limit is the only positive thing in the engine regs.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

krisfx
krisfx

rohit1594

zac510
zac510

Oh, another axe-grinding v6 engine bashing thread.. *yawn*.. OK, I'll bite.

Although I don't know the original context of Steven's quote, it sounds like he is referring to rules that had good intention but suffered a small oversight that caused it to be completely mis-interpreted and end up a blunder. In this case I think the most recent example of this is probably the double diffuser. The re-writing of the aerodynamic regs for 2009 was well intentioned but one tiny blunder there caused the grid to be turned upside down with the big teams playing catch up.

I will follow this logic for my point about the current engine rules. I think the current engine rules are mostly correct. Of course the hardware is fascinating, the have ample power and torque and they are very efficient too. They are cutting edge where the V8s were cutting logs. In that regard the engine rules have been successful. There's been no one part of the mechanical power unit where someone has gained an unfair advantage by anything other than just plain hard work. (I'm ignoring the aural part because it is subjective).
The blunder, in my opinion, was that they assumed the reliability and equality of the V8 engines onto the V6 engine. This in turn caused them to restricted development too heavily and this in turn bit back as Renault, Ferrari and later Honda could not catch up.
Ironically the regulators did this part correctly when we went from open V8-era to the tightly homologated V8 era - allowing a year of development leading into the restricted era.
I think this small oversight in the rules would have had the most effect on how the v6 turbo engines were introduced into F1.

And for anyone feeling nostalgic about the V8 era, It's fun to go back and read these threads from 2005 which are full of doom-mongering about how the new V8s will sound terrible, be too expensive, will ruin the sport, etc
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... f=4&t=1170
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... f=4&t=1527

skoop
skoop

i think the "only 1 helmet livery per driver" is pretty stupid

GPR-A duplicate2

How can this not sweep away the award?

Ready to go.... :lol:

And the perfect Mash.... =D>

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ojlopez
ojlopez

RA168E wrote:There is nothing wrong with the new Engine Formula. The fuel flow limit is the only negative in this.
Totally agree with you. Plus the "please don't throw your tear offs on the track". Try to deal with a sticky thing while shifting gears, fighting for position and adjusting the overly complex PU switches.

hollus

How about the 1952 season being run to F2 rules?
Plus points: as only the best 4 results (out of 7+indy!) counted, Ascari had the maximum possible score before the two last races.
Rivals, not enemies.

OneAlex

Those noses will always win out as one of the worst bloopers in history. It basically wiped out an entire year's worth of racing footage and even now the cars look wrong.

This year's qualifying fiasco ranks up there, if just for political battle and brinkmanship that ensued.

I'm not quite sure whether it counts as a regulatory mistake per se, but whatever tyre regulations and specifications laid out set the groundwork for the 2005 US GP fiasco is probably up there too, particularly given the blow to its prestige F1 took in America.

On a lighter side, not an F1 regulatory mistake, but sometimes at a track regulations are regulations when you're working the turnstalls:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liLPcPD0RlM

Jolle
Jolle

A few big bloopers:
-How the rules were applied when Senna cut the chicane at Suzuka in 1989, after he collided with Prost (and that comes from a die hard Prost fan in those days)
-having the one set of tires a race rule in (I think) 2005
-not allowing Michelin to fly in bulletproof tires for the 2005 USGP
-all the wild changes in qualifying formats over the years

And I do like the new engines! Have to go with the times. A V8 is so 1960's....

FoxHound

Ben is too mad on these engine regs! :lol:

Aside from Silverstone 1998? Talk about blooper reel....
JET set