Will Brexit have an impact on F1?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
GSBellew

Re: Will Brexit have an impact on F1?

Gettingonabit wrote:
turbof1 wrote:I wouldn't necessary bet on a quick free trade agreement between Great Britain. The European Union will be very keen to deny GB the benefits of free trade with EU countries without the disadvantages (free movement of labour, no closed borders, fees,...). Several top political figures already made so much clear.
This works both ways, the EU major players export far more goods to the UK than the UK exports to the EU both in volume and value. To me that smacks of "cutting your own nose off to spite your own face".

So Germany would want to not sell cars and white goods to the UK, and France not to sell wine and cheese and Spain - food and Italy - machine tools etc etc etc.

You could be right of course but lets wait and see.
Well post 'brexit' it's up to the UK to decide what tariffs they want to impose on goods coming in to the UK, they may choose to protect UK producers of certain goods by making imports more expensive.

Conversely the EU get to decide what tariffs to impose on goods coming into the EU from the UK.

PlatinumZealot

Bernie says no so I believe him.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

bdr529

PlatinumZealot wrote:Bernie says no so I believe him.
:lol:

FrukostScones

UK wont leave the EU.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Gettingonabit

FrukostScones wrote:UK wont leave the EU.
I'm interested to know your reasons why.

Ciro Pabón

Sure, huge impact: I can think of AT LEAST 12 things that will be different.

1. No more muslim or foreign drivers stealing jobs in British teams: say goodbye to Alonso, who probably is half Romani as most Spaniards have some "gitano" blood.

On a side note, Button CANNOT convert to Islam, of course, without risking his position at McLaren, so he becomes Anglican in public.

2. No more FIA regulations made in Europe affecting the design of British-made F1 cars: this means infinite engine upgrades for McLaren, for example, a team at last free from the dictatorship from Brussels.

3. Jim Clark, David Coulthard, Jack Stewart, Allan McNish and Paul Di Resta erased from British story books on F1, as Scotland secedes from Great Britain to join the EU and adopts the name of Northern Belgium.

On a side note, Belgium records in F1 get better by 5000%

As an added benefit, John Colum Crichton-Stuart, 7th Marquess of Bute, a.k.a John Bute or Johnny Dumfries erased from British records at Le Mans, (which can be seen as something positive, given the name of his peerage: enough is enough)

4. Iceland replaces England in F1 Championship: the British Green is replaced by Icelandic Blue, Icelandic announcer Gudmundur Benediktsson becomes oficial announcer for TV F1 programs and quickly replaces Murray Walker as the funniest guy in the history of the sport.

Icelandic Guðmundur Benediktsson proclaiming, in a "strong" viking voice: "“You can leave Europe! You can go wherever the hell you want!”

5. Croissants are erradicated from British teams' paddock buses and crumpets become mandatory

6. All British teams stop using water tubes for hydrating drivers and replace them with Lipton Tea tubes

7. Donald Trump buys the rights to British GP and moves it to Vegas. David Cameron becomes his VP and becomes the first Briton ever to get a vicepresidency in the US.

8. Bernie Ecclestone sells all his rights to GP in the Continent and buys the rights to F3, Isle of ManTT and British Touring.

9. Silverstone organizers refuse to use Pirelli tyres and replace them with Avon "supersoft" tyres

10. In the UK Gurney flaps are replaced by Raleigh flaps and Prandtl theory becomes Glauert theory

11. The official name for the HANS system in British teams is "the John Bull system"

12. At all British races, slow cars are forced to move to the left lane
Ciro

Tommy Cookers

Ciro Pabón wrote:.......
1. No more muslim or foreign drivers stealing jobs in British teams: say goodbye to Alonso, who probably is half Romani as most Spaniards have some "gitano" blood.
On a side note, Button CANNOT convert to Islam, of course, without risking his position at McLaren, so he becomes Anglican in public.
how do you think this is relevant or appropriate, C P ??

FoxHound

Brexit shows, unequivocally, that stupidity is becoming more prevalent.

The "yea bruv" brigade whose refusal to work for low wages, penchant for state handouts, and xenophobic outlook, are in for a shock.

Muslims dont come from europe...
France will open the flood gates once britain is out. Dover will become calais, and you average migrant will no longer be of similar culture. Note that muslims do much for british society, but integration into communities is an issue.

Then you look at the idiotic votes regionally. Like cornwall. 80m a year in handouts from the eu, and they still expect this money after brexit.

The false promises that gained traction with the grey vote, were immediately retracted after leave won. Specifically the 350m weekly to be spent on the health service.

Some had valid reasons to vote leave, but the vast majority of the 52% are clueless.

Idiocracy is in full swing, and as an eu citizen living and working in the uk, I fear that if a compromisedeal is not struck soon, the fallout will be biblical.
Porperty values will collapse, companies like Honda and Nissan will set up in Poland, financial houses so strongly embedded in London, will relocate to the mainland.

Tax revenues down, the uk will no lomger be able to afford to keep the 'yea bruv' brigade clothed, fed and housed. Nor look after their children, of which some are numerous in ratio to the employed.

Social unrest would likely follow, and to cut the long story short, i feel events such as an f1 race in the uk would be viewed as elitist and therefore open to mob vitriol.
JET set

Steven
Owner

FoxHound wrote:Some had valid reasons to vote leave, but the vast majority of the 52% are clueless.
This!

I think it's a pity that UK are leaving, but I also believe the UK will be the biggest loser. Anyway, it's not what worries me.

It think it is particularly troublesome that a country allows people to decide directly on such an essential matter, especially knowing that most people do not have enough information to give a valid opinion. This, combined with irresponsible politicians who prefer shouting and selling lies for their own benefit. Why not just outlaw plain incorrect campaign slogans, on the penalty of banning a politician from doing anymore politics in his life.

The biggest proof of people being clueless is how the most EU dependent regions in the UK were the most in favour or leaving the EU.
Then again, in Belgium, we do have more or less the same issue, as in a lot of other countries. Europe is doing numerous good things, but it's bad in selling itself, allowing people to focus on the negatives, and hence some to a Brexit.

Anyway, one final note to the Leave-voting barkeeper that I saw on Belgian TV, saying she had a bad few years, and the girl who voted Leave because England would no longer be in Euro20xx. I'm sorry! :mrgreen:

PS: One law I seriously detest from the EU is the cookie law, mandating websites to ask users for agreement on using cookies.

Phil

oh steven... I couldn't disagree more. Dictatorships were built on arguments just as these. "oh but the public is too ignorant to possibly know what's good for them" I've been hearing a lot of these arguments coming from just about any politician, giving weight to their own arguments and disregarding all others.

I could not know how clueless or not the 52% of those are that voted for Brexit, but I am quite confident the other 48% isn't any less clueless either for why they would want to remain in the EU if not for fear of the big unknown or simply because there is a upside for the (short) foreseeable future.

And just to put this one outthere; The Swiss population have been voting on such matters for many many many decades and we're still around too. Perhaps there are difference interests at play here and perhaps not everyone should pretend that everything that is better for themselves is also better for everyone else?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

ds.raikkonen

Phil wrote:oh steven... I couldn't disagree more. Dictatorships were built on arguments just as these. "oh but the public is too ignorant to possibly know what's good for them" I've been hearing a lot of these arguments coming from just about any politician, giving weight to their own arguments and disregarding all others.
I believe he meant that it should not be made on the basis of a mass poll, rather be made by the Ministry of Finance or related dept. to which I agree 100%
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

Tommy Cookers

Judas Iscariot was no doubt correct in his view of the economic advantage accruing to him (in selling out for 30 pieces of silver)
history has not accused him of acting from ignorance

and people should know that the UK (since WW2) has free movement of people from the Commonwealth (including many Muslims)
so has a quite rapid natural population growth, unlike eg Germany and Japan whose natural population is falling

to me the real lesson of the Brexit situation has been how little respect for democracy the self-styled 'progressives' have
since these people justify their views as action to benefit the 'common man' known in ancient times as the 'demos'
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 28 Jun 2016, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.

Jolle

Of course Brexit will have an impact on F1!

F1 thrives on a strong economic climate. They are still picking up the pieces of the exit of big money trough manufacturers during the 2008/2009 recession and now the possibility of a new downfall.

Britain is going to remain unstable until its certain who will lead it and what the plan is going to be. This could take up to two years or more (first an new PM/Cabinet, starting early september, then the negotiations around Article 50). There is nothing worse for an economie then uncertainty.

So, no, this is very bad for F1.

TankMarvin

ds.raikkonen wrote:
Phil wrote:oh steven... I couldn't disagree more. Dictatorships were built on arguments just as these. "oh but the public is too ignorant to possibly know what's good for them" I've been hearing a lot of these arguments coming from just about any politician, giving weight to their own arguments and disregarding all others.
I believe he meant that it should not be made on the basis of a mass poll, rather be made by the Ministry of Finance or related dept. to which I agree 100%
I believe in Parlimentary Democracy.
We, the general public, elect a government (every 5 years in the UK) and it governs with a mandate based on it's manifesto.
If we don't believe the government has been effective or has renaged on it's manifesto then we have an opportunity to change the government.

The government, and the wider parliament which holds it to account, is in place to govern and to interact with other parliaments in terms of treaties and agreements.

As a member of the public I do not know nearly enough about international trade treaties, UK and pan-European funding for health, social care, research/education, etc, etc.... and worse than that very few facts realted to these topics was made available without it being endlessly spun by which ever side was presenting it.
At the end of the day I'm not sure the general public where in a position to make an informed decision and that was not neccessarily the fault of the general public themselves. But, to my earlier point, we elect a government and create a parliament so those people, as part of their jobs, can understand these intracacies and (hopefully) work in the best interests of the people they serve.

On the face if it referundums appear like the widest and most encompassing form of democracy, but there is an argument for ensuring everyone knows what they are voting for over and above just making sure everyone is involved.

FWIW, I voted remain, so I'm sure many will just say I'm a sore loser - but the debate around the suitability or credibility of a national referendum has been running since way before the voting took place.

Anyway, to answer the OP; probably :)
It's a profitable, global business so in that respect should be OK.
But history has shown that the management of the sport, depsite it's profitability, is not always willing to protect and sustain teams that struggle to make ends meet.
Brexit may be a tipping point for some teams, hopefully if they can survive the short term uncertainty they will be stronger and better for the experience.

bhall II

FoxHound wrote:Idiocracy is in full swing,..
My personal favorite...
[i]The Spectator[/i], Feb 20, 2016 wrote:America would never join anything like the EU. Yet they urge us to stay
Yeah, because we did it 240 yeas ago with the creation of a continental bloc known as the UNITED STATES. In fact, we've done it twice, with the second version (the Constitution) creating a far more stringent union than the one formed by the first (the Articles of Confederation).

All in all, I have to say the arrangement seems to have paid off.
Tommy Cookers wrote:to me the real lesson of the Brexit situation has been how little respect for democracy the self-styled 'progressives' have since these people justify their views as action to benefit the 'common man' known in ancient times as the 'demos'
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” ~ Isaac Asimov