2016 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, Fri 01 – Sun 03 Jul 2016

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
f1316

Re: 2016 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, Fri 01 – Sun 03 Jul 2016

Interestingly last year we were only 3 seconds off the actual proper lap record - I.e. The one set in the race.

On a short lap like this we probably won't see the same lap time improvement from last year we would at some circuits, but if this is a two stop with relatively close battles at the front and a reasonably late second stop, we could see them within a second I'd say.

iotar__

carisi2k wrote:Turn 1 is not heavy braking at all due to the uphill nature of the corner. Aero and gravity help there and 120km/h through the corner isn't that slow. Turn 2 with it's 75km/h hairpin turn and turn 3's downhill approach are the only real heavy braking corners to test the cars out in this area and that will not be enough to allow Red Bull, McLaren or Torro Rosso to be within cooee of the 3 merc power houses and Ferrari.

There is no significant braking between turn 4 and the end of the lap. Turns 4,5,6 and 7 are low braking high speed flow sections of the track. When you slow down in these sections you use the aero more then the brakes. The brakes are used to balance the car.
- From Massa's OB '15: T1 from ~300 to ~120 in ~100 metres is not heavy? I disagree. 1st and 2nd are similar in terms of braking, the latter is just tighter, lower gears not braking. Elevation is less important.
- Track was a bit of with fun in Q with badly profiled corners and forced track limits in '14. I barely remember '15, did they adjust them?

- What about expected tyre pressure for this GP? Another aspect anyone can blame if something goes wrong. In AMuS https://translate.google.com/translate? ... 58604.html they explained Merc domination and slow Ferrari in Baku by adding high tyre pressure and every other track aspect. Apparently Ferrari doesn't like any corners ;-), those 90 degrees were a problem.
- Mercedes can play more with DF top speed because they expect to be on front row, then better tyre management and the end. Ferrari engine is comparable, why shouldn't they be quick here?

ChrisDanger

Yeah, elevation on T1 increases downforce so actually allows for even heavier braking, albeit for a shorter distance.

ME4ME

I hope that at least the FIA is consistent with regard to track limits, right from FP1 onwards.

I can see Ferrari being strong here, especially Vettel. They'll probably be 1-2 tenths off pole position though.

The battle between Williams, Red Bull and Force India should be interesting. I suspect RB to be stronger than they were in Canada, since they weren't able to fully exploit the tyres there. Force India have also come on strong recently, should be a match for Williams.

Racer X

Pole:

1. Hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Vettel
4. Bottas
5. Massa
6. Kimi
7. Ricciardo
8. Kiviat
9. Hulkenberg
10. Verstappen

Race:

1. Rosberg
2. Perez
3. Hamilton
4. Vettel
5. Ricciardo
6. Kimi
7. Massa
8. Kyviat
9. Sainz
10. Hulkenberg

Hahaha I would laugh if Checo gets more podiums. Because yes I mean I'm glad he lost the "Pay Driver" stigma 6 podiums should probe it's not a fluke. I had a night mareally Maldonado came back to F1....
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

matt_b

Racer X wrote:
Hahaha I would laugh if Checo gets more podiums. Because yes I mean I'm glad he lost the "Pay Driver" stigma 6 podiums should probe it's not a fluke. I had a night mareally Maldonado came back to F1....
Wasn't Perez leading for 16 laps in 2014 with Rosberg unable to get by for dear life on new tyres, the guy keeps performing miracles so why not.

godlameroso

Late because I don't watch DTM, so apparently the track has been resurfaced, as well as re-profiled turns 1,2 and 8 to make them a little less tricky. 1 & 2 no longer has slight bumps on approach so breaking is easier, and the final turn has new curbs and less compression on the exit. So basically they took all the character out of the track.
Saishū kōnā

carisi2k

ChrisDanger wrote:Yeah, elevation on T1 increases downforce so actually allows for even heavier braking, albeit for a shorter distance.
It doesn't increase downforce but it allows you to use gravity and the downforce in the car to slow the car rather then stressing the brakes. The corner speed is also higher into turn one and because of the gravity effect of arriving into turn one you aren't using the brakes for as long.

f1316

f1316 wrote:Interestingly last year we were only 3 seconds off the actual proper lap record - I.e. The one set in the race.

On a short lap like this we probably won't see the same lap time improvement from last year we would at some circuits, but if this is a two stop with relatively close battles at the front and a reasonably late second stop, we could see them within a second I'd say.
This is kind of along the same lines as what I was saying:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/analy ... ng-791855/

[don't know why they bother with lowest lap times - depends entirely on length of lap]

Much more interesting for me though is the proper, in-race, lap record, which could potentially be in jeopardy given the resurfacing that I wasn't previously aware of.

Last year fastest lap was three seconds off pole, so if they can do a 1:05 in qualifying then Michael's 1:08.337 (which was done on very low fuel because of his refuelling issues/fire) could potentially be achievable.

Given the difference in refuelling it would be a heck of a thing to see the lap record go (albeit not running here in 2004 has made all the difference to the current record).

godlameroso

There might be some light rain on race day, dry Friday and Saturday, looks like the weather is getting all the rain out of the way early this week. Warmish day, if the sun is shining that ultra soft is going to be useless for more than a pair of laps. Rain is forecast to come midway through the race with the chance of it raining anytime therein, or it may not even rain at all and just be cloudy.
Saishū kōnā

ripper

Massa said in an interview that he watched DTM Austrian race and saw that with resurfacing they were able to reduce lap time, so expect the same with F1

strad

Just a suggestion to those who find the races boring: open up the live timing on f1.com or get the app.........
the app sucks
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Just_a_fan

Live timing used to be useful but since Bernie made it colour blobs only rather than sector times, it's become worthless.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ClarkBT11

Just_a_fan wrote:Live timing used to be useful but since Bernie made it colour blobs only rather than sector times, it's become worthless.
On the F1 app you can get the sector times on GAP/INTERVAL if you have your phone horizontally in your hand. If your phone is in your hand vertically you only get colours for the sectors. I find watching the sector times more exciting than watching the "action" on TV at the minute in Baku I gel asleep half way through. I watched Moto GP last weekend for seven hours and never took my eyes off the racing.

I hope we'll get a better race hear in Austria.

Juzh

strad wrote:
Just a suggestion to those who find the races boring: open up the live timing on f1.com or get the app.........
the app sucks
Not really. At least not on PC android emulators.