Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
GoranF1

Re: Ferrari Power Unit

giantfan10 wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:Ferrari TC in Canada will not bring any more power in Q mode that what Ferrari already have(the point of FIA reliabilty updates)...but Ferrari may now be able to use it more in race modes.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/f1talks/status/740119801415225344
What youre saying doesnt make sense...
The turbo now spinning at max RPM and a new compressor will provide more power regardless of it its qualifying or in the race....lower RPM = less boost and the previous turbo was running at less than max rpm to preserve it..im not saying there will be some earth shattering improvement but there should be improvement.
It was able to spin at max rpm before....just for a shorter period of time.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

giantfan10

GoranF1 wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:Ferrari TC in Canada will not bring any more power in Q mode that what Ferrari already have(the point of FIA reliabilty updates)...but Ferrari may now be able to use it more in race modes.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/f1talks/status/740119801415225344
What youre saying doesnt make sense...
The turbo now spinning at max RPM and a new compressor will provide more power regardless of it its qualifying or in the race....lower RPM = less boost and the previous turbo was running at less than max rpm to preserve it..im not saying there will be some earth shattering improvement but there should be improvement.
It was able to spin at max rpm before....just for a shorter period of time.
I highly doubt that since the issue was vibration at normal operating RPM jamesallenonf1.com :
This will fix a problem whereby vibrations from the turbo, which is seeking to spin at very high speeds, are causing the unit to overheat. Ferrari has not been able to exploit the full potential of its unit as a result and has had to run more conservatively.

godlameroso

Does this mean their turbo is going over the mgu-h limit of 125,000 rpm?
Saishū kōnā

wuzak

godlameroso wrote:Does this mean their turbo is going over the mgu-h limit of 125,000 rpm?
No.

giantfan10

godlameroso wrote:Does this mean their turbo is going over the mgu-h limit of 125,000 rpm?
No they were running their turbo under the FIA mandated limit....the fix is supposed to allow them to get to that limit

PlatinumZealot

The turbo upgrade is a great deal of improvement for Ferrari in the Canada race today. They could push really hard right thru the race, and fuel efficiency was not badly affected last previous times.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Blackout

As we predicted during winter testing...

gruntguru

Curious that they should use a cool medium (air) in the first stage intercooler and a "warmer" medium (water) in the second stage?
je suis charlie

NL_Fer

gruntguru wrote:Curious that they should use a cool medium (air) in the first stage intercooler and a "warmer" medium (water) in the second stage?
Not if they pre-cool the "liquid" to subzero temperatures before the start or qualifing run and stuff the complete sidepod with dryice.

ME4ME

NL_Fer wrote:
gruntguru wrote:Curious that they should use a cool medium (air) in the first stage intercooler and a "warmer" medium (water) in the second stage?
Not if they pre-cool the "liquid" to subzero temperatures before the start or qualifing run and stuff the complete sidepod with dryice.
Not everything is about qualifying though..

NL_Fer

Even in the race a air-water intercooler is ok for racing cars. Yes the liquid will warm up under boost, but has time to cool off again during coasting and braking.

Brian Coat

I cannot see what the coolant circuit for the water-air intercooler is, in the images.

If it is downstream of the air/air, inter cooler, one assumes it is a separate circuit running at a lower temperature?

Does that make sense?

gruntguru

ME4ME wrote:
NL_Fer wrote:
Not everything is about qualifying though..
In fact almost everything is about speed in race trim.
je suis charlie

sosic2121

I agree. what's the point of having air - air cooler at all(in this order) ?

godlameroso

Perhaps it's to more accurately control intake air temperature, not necessarily to get the intake charge as cold as possible but as consistent as possible. Then you have to wonder why they would in the first place.
Saishū kōnā