The topicless off-topic thread

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
PlatinumZealot

The topicless off-topic thread

Stop being like Jenson Button and complaining. Be like Hamilton and just drive the thing!
Last edited by Steven on 31 Jul 2016, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This thread was created for moderators to move completely off-topic posts into. It's related to the fanboy yin-yang thread.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

Tim.Wright

Re: Tuning a differential in Formula Renault 2.0

yes, let's destroy another technical discussion with another driver circlejerk.

If someone someday manages to harness the kinetic energy dissipated by n smikle's reciprocating right hand everytime he moans the word Hamilton we could ditch these shรฌtty 1L V6's safe in the knowledge that the world has stumbled upon an infinitely dense & renewable energy source to power the masses and F1 can go back to loud viscious fuel guzzling V10s...
Not the engineer at Force India

SR71

Re: 2016 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Mercedes

FoxHound wrote:
bhall II wrote:For dans79

- To talk about downforce and drag is to talk about aerodynamic efficiency, and it's been asserted many times throughout this thread that RB12 creates more drag than W07. This appears to be the linchpin of the argument from those who tend to minimize the impact of Mercedes' power advantage.

Not at all,

This is all documented. We know for a fact Red Bull run a higher rake than Mercedes.
We also know the floor is pivotal to how all cars generate their downforce. I'm riding on the back of some knowledgeable hacks here, so I'll throw this out for us to chew on.
The downforce increases exponentially as the (floor)height is reduced, because the strength of these vortices is increasing.
This paper was written in 2006 about a stones throw from where my post is being written. Ben, it's up your street.
http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/42969/1/GetPDFServlet.pdf

There are plenty references too. And the verdict is, the higher your arse, and the more it squats, the more you hurt when you start to gain serious speed(250kph+).
This, allied to the bigger frontal area of the Red Bull wing, and you have a vehicle pushing enough air to put out a fire in the next Village!

From your source ben...
http://i.imgur.com/fyU6BwS.jpg

Now then, we have higher rake, larger front wing area and larger rear wing area(Silverstone and various events in 2016).
The deduction is that if it has certain aerodynamic properties, and claims specific "bests" while pointing at specific "failings",
can we not "mitigate" both claims by using physics, lap time data and our own eyes(rake angles, wing levels etc)?
If it quacks like a duck....

Im sorry, but for as smart as you think you are, you cannot look at an F1 car and assume you know SQUAT @%@% about it's aerodynamics.

In fact, many man hours will have been dedicated to making sure this task is pointless.

This is why real genius (unlike yourself) will state that they cannot judge what any other team is doing and soley focus on their own task at hand (Newey).

Comparing Prototype Race cars to one anotherwithout any insider knowledge is almost as fruitless as me telling you that you are "wrong", you wont believe me AND we will still have 6 more pages about how you think Renault have more power than Merc becaues they run higher wing and rake.

Love,
SR71

dans79

Re: 2016 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Mercedes

SR71 wrote: Im sorry, but for as smart as you think you are, you cannot look at an F1 car and assume you know SQUAT @%@% about it's aerodynamics.

In fact, many man hours will have been dedicated to making sure this task is pointless.

This is why real genius (unlike yourself) will state that they cannot judge what any other team is doing and soley focus on their own task at hand (Newey).

Comparing Prototype Race cars to one anotherwithout any insider knowledge is almost as fruitless as me telling you that you are "wrong", you wont believe me AND we will still have 6 more pages about how you think Renault have more power than Merc becaues they run higher wing and rake.
Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound?

I don't know what it is about people here, that think you need to be an F1 aerodynamicist to know anything.......,.

The basics of aerodynamics are not complicated. With even a little knowledge, it's possible to look at two different wings and make an educated guess as to which one will generate more drag or DF, assuming they are visually different. What one cannot do without "insider knowledge" is speak authoritatively about how many points of DF or drag a given wing makes, or how one element on the car effects another, or how sensitive a given flow is.

But people can make educated guesses, I mean how do you think people like Scarbs make a living? The teams aren't giving him simulation results to flip through.
197 104 103 7