2016 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jolle
Jolle

Re: 2016 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Mercedes

TAG wrote:Given the alternatives we've seen in the past with a number two driver being told to pull over for the number one on the last lap... I fully agree. I just think that Mercedes are trying to have their cake and eat it too, it's competition but competition to a point and it's not difficult to see through that. Nobody wants the number 1 and number 2 driver mentality if you're a fan of racing. I also fully understand that the business is to ensure the maximum result for the team, but again it's only a POV afforded by the current superiority, not something that will be fiddled with should next year's regulations shake things up.
I also think there is some Lauda/Wolff logic involved. "We pay you 30-40mln a year, so if you need us to beat your teammate, we're overpaying you". And so far so good, 3.5 seasons together, and HAM-ROS is now 3.5-0.

flickerf1
flickerf1

Jolle wrote:
TAG wrote:Given the alternatives we've seen in the past with a number two driver being told to pull over for the number one on the last lap... I fully agree. I just think that Mercedes are trying to have their cake and eat it too, it's competition but competition to a point and it's not difficult to see through that. Nobody wants the number 1 and number 2 driver mentality if you're a fan of racing. I also fully understand that the business is to ensure the maximum result for the team, but again it's only a POV afforded by the current superiority, not something that will be fiddled with should next year's regulations shake things up.
I also think there is some Lauda/Wolff logic involved. "We pay you 30-40mln a year, so if you need us to beat your teammate, we're overpaying you". And so far so good, 3.5 seasons together, and HAM-ROS is now 3.5-0.
The Wicked + The Divine.

DiogoBrand

Mercedes is letting their drivers fight amongst themselves because they can afford that. I'm sure they care about the drivers' title, maybe even more than the constructors' championship. But since they're pretty much certain that they're gonna win both, they're not gonna interfere on their drivers' race against each other. That wouldn't be any good for anyone, especially for us fans, that would have to watch a race knowing who would win.
The only thing that bugged me was the advantage, delibarate or not, that Nico had at the start of the season with Lewis having a few Qualy sessions ruined by PU issues, but I really don't think Mercedes was trying to give Rosberg the title, and fortunately Lewis is showing that he can beat Nico even with those misfortunes.

One thing I'm pretty sure of is that this Mercedes dominance is someday going to end, as has happened with all dominant teams over the years. And when that happens, and they see they have a driver with a better go at the title than the other, there's a good chance that they'll introduce a Number 1/Number 2 driver policy as we've seen plenty of times.

SiLo

I won't be surprised if they win both championships next year, but I also won't be surprised if they don't.

I don't mind it too much as long as Hamilton and Rosberg are battling hard like they have been this year.
Felipe Baby!

GPR-A duplicate2

Wolff predicts F1 title battle will go to final round
[color=#4000FF]Toto Wolff[/color] wrote:Mercedes boss Toto Wolff is convinced that Formula 1's title battle will go all the way to the final round in Abu Dhabi, now that Lewis Hamilton is back on terms with Nico Rosberg.
Yes, it is going to be that way. Guess what... Toto has already planned it that way. That means, if Lewis tries to run away, Toto will ensure he will be pulled back.
Nico has never won at Spa, Monza, Singapore, Malaysia, Japan and USA and Lewis has won all of them before. So, what puts the odds in Nico's favor Mr. Toto?

Phil

Maybe the fact that Nico won last years last 3 races.....?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Jolle
Jolle

GPR-A wrote:Wolff predicts F1 title battle will go to final round
[color=#4000FF]Toto Wolff[/color] wrote:Mercedes boss Toto Wolff is convinced that Formula 1's title battle will go all the way to the final round in Abu Dhabi, now that Lewis Hamilton is back on terms with Nico Rosberg.
Yes, it is going to be that way. Guess what... Toto has already planned it that way. That means, if Lewis tries to run away, Toto will ensure he will be pulled back.
Nico has never won at Spa, Monza, Singapore, Malaysia, Japan and USA and Lewis has won all of them before. So, what puts the odds in Nico's favor Mr. Toto?
What else should or could he say?
-seeing Lewis still has some penalties, we foresee that Nico will win the WC before the last race or
-Lewis got great momentum, I think he'll wrap this WC up with two races to spare.

Teambosses will almost never say what's really going on or what they are really think. The only one in the paddock you can trust a little to speak his mind is Niki strangely enough, but he got a bit slap on the wrist after his disclosure after Baku.

Phil

Well, lets analyze this one...

These are the races coming up:

- Hockenheim
- Spa
- Monza
- Singapore
- Malaysia
- Suzuka
- CotA
- Mexico
- Brazil
- Abu Dhabi

That's 10 races. It's a 6 point swing in Hamilton's favor now, which is pretty much nothing. I think the strong tracks for Hamilton is definately CotA, usualy Abu Dhabi, Suzuka and Monza. He has also gone well in Spa, but Spa can be pretty unpredictable sometimes. Hockenheim could go either way too. Brazil is definitely a strong track for Nico (or a weak one for Hamilton), he also went quite well in Mexico and passing was pretty impossible last year. Given that Nico is usually quite strong on tracks like Monaco, he could also do quite well in Singapore too.

Then there is also the point that Hamilton will be facing a penalty when he requires extra components. That could potentially cost him 25 points, though if he takes it on the right track, he might be able to cut that to a 15 point disadvantage (if he can somehow get to 5th, assuming Nico wins). Would Spa be the right track? It would have to be, as usually, they take new engines for Spa and you don't want to be going there with a power disadvantage. All in all, it's going to be a close ride to the championship I think. It would be amazing if either driver could close it out before the last race...

Then again, a DNF, a technical issue, a collision or other incident could immediately cause quite a points swing. It's going to be extremely interesting to see if Hamilton can somehow go into the summer break with a mental advantage of winning Hockenheim. I think it's gonna be a close one.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

NathanOlder

flickerf1 wrote:
Jolle wrote:
You lost me with this one ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

flickerf1
flickerf1

NathanOlder wrote:
flickerf1 wrote:
Jolle wrote:
I meant that technically Lewis has beat Nico over 4.5 years since becoming teammates in 2013. Though I'm now assuming think you meant since 2014.
The Wicked + The Divine.

FoxHound

flickerf1 wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
flickerf1 wrote: *4.5
I meant that technically Lewis has beat Nico over 4.5 years since becoming teammates in 2013. Though I'm now assuming think you meant since 2014.
So 3 and a half years then....
JET set

Facts Only
Facts Only

Surely, 2013 = 1, 2014 = 2, 2015 = 3, 2016 = 3.5
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

skoop
skoop

flickerf1 wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
flickerf1 wrote: *4.5
I think he meant 13, 14, 15 and now 16 halfway => 3.5
I don't get how you get to 4.5.
Or am I being stupid? #-o

flickerf1
flickerf1

skoop wrote:
flickerf1 wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
I think he meant 13, 14, 15 and now 16 halfway => 3.5
I don't get how you get to 4.5.
Or am I being stupid? #-o
No, you're not. I had the BIGGEST brainfade ever. My apologies.
The Wicked + The Divine.

flickerf1
flickerf1

FoxHound wrote:
flickerf1 wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
So 3 and a half years then....
Yeah, I just had a massive brainfade. It's 5:45 am in the morning in my part of the world. So please excuse my mistake.
The Wicked + The Divine.