2016 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
skoop
skoop

Re: 2016 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Mercedes

flickerf1 wrote:
skoop wrote:
flickerf1 wrote: I meant that technically Lewis has beat Nico over 4.5 years since becoming teammates in 2013. Though I'm now assuming think you meant since 2014.
I think he meant 13, 14, 15 and now 16 halfway => 3.5
I don't get how you get to 4.5.
Or am I being stupid? #-o
No, you're not. I had the BIGGEST brainfade ever. My apologies.
haha don't worry :mrgreen:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Phil wrote:Well, lets analyze this one...

These are the races coming up:

- Hockenheim
- Spa
- Monza
- Singapore
- Malaysia
- Suzuka
- CotA
- Mexico
- Brazil
- Abu Dhabi

That's 10 races. It's a 6 point swing in Hamilton's favor now, which is pretty much nothing. I think the strong tracks for Hamilton is definately CotA, usualy Abu Dhabi, Suzuka and Monza. He has also gone well in Spa, but Spa can be pretty unpredictable sometimes. Hockenheim could go either way too. Brazil is definitely a strong track for Nico (or a weak one for Hamilton), he also went quite well in Mexico and passing was pretty impossible last year. Given that Nico is usually quite strong on tracks like Monaco, he could also do quite well in Singapore too.

Then there is also the point that Hamilton will be facing a penalty when he requires extra components.
If the only issue facing the team from here on is Hamilton's engine penalty, Hamilton basically "just" needs to win three more races than Rosberg in the second half of season . Based on the last three seasons, you'd back him to do that. But it does rely on there being no more issues. If Rosberg has an issue then it would, statistically, be a bigger boost for Hamilton than Hamilton's engine penalty is for Rosberg. If that makes sense.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

TAG

All that, or there could be a lot of rainy GPs. 8)
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

dans79

Toto just lay just laid the groundwork for future team orders, or a designated #1 driver.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns34486.html
"A perfect pairing would be two number ones at the same level, both capable of winning the world championship and not generating any controversy.

"But this is an illusion that does not exist. We have opted for this philosophy for the benefits it has to the team but with the disadvantage that we have to do a lot of people management," he told Sport Bild.

"There is always one winner and one loser, one happy and one unhappy one each Sunday."

But Wolff said Hamilton vs Rosberg does work for Mercedes.

"Their relationship is constantly changing, it's up and down, but they're in their fourth year and fighting for the title for the third time and so far it has gone relatively well.

"We don't know for how long that will be the case, and there may be a point in which we say 'We did it for four or five or six years but can't do it anymore.
197 104 103 7

NathanOlder

Haha, made me chuckle.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

De Jokke

So all 21 circuits conquered by Mercedes.

In terms of doubles, only three left if I'm not mistaken:

*Germany (can be done this weekend)
*Baku (could have been done if hamilton didn't have engine troubles)
*Signapore

go get 'em Merc!
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

adrianjordan

Can Hamilton stick a couple of new components in across the single weekend and then have some reserves, since he's going to have to take a penalty anyway, or did they close that rule now?

Basically could he sacrifice one race weekend but get himself another 3 sets of everything that comprises the PU in order to protect himself against problems later in the season?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Juzh

adrianjordan wrote: Basically could he sacrifice one race weekend but get himself another 3 sets of everything that comprises the PU in order to protect himself against problems later in the season?
Yes, but starts from pitlane in case of a whole new PUs being taken. Penalties no longer stack, so it would be a wise thing to do.
Toto wolf however indicated in germany they might not take 2 engines. Not sure if he meant 1 or 3 in that case. 1 wouldn't really make a lot of sense imo.

https://youtu.be/ACFiShbHqB0?t=3m21s

Jolle
Jolle

adrianjordan wrote:Can Hamilton stick a couple of new components in across the single weekend and then have some reserves, since he's going to have to take a penalty anyway, or did they close that rule now?

Basically could he sacrifice one race weekend but get himself another 3 sets of everything that comprises the PU in order to protect himself against problems later in the season?
He can and prob will. He's down on two components, the Turbo and the MHU-H, which would mean a 15 place drop per "set".

If he would take just one "set" in spa he would have to battle through Q to get to 16th on the grid and then have the risk of loosing some wings on his fight back to 4th to 6th. (Or just in front of just behind the Ferrari's) and do the same thing later in Monza again.
If he takes it all in Spa it will prob be 6th instead of a chance on 4th and he doesn't have to push anything in Q (because he's back at the grid anyway). Could even make a pit start if there is any chance of rain.
He should come out of Spa with no more penalties and equal on PU components with Nico. A nice short run for the WC.

Phil

Juzh wrote:
adrianjordan wrote: Basically could he sacrifice one race weekend but get himself another 3 sets of everything that comprises the PU in order to protect himself against problems later in the season?
Yes, but starts from pitlane in case of a whole new PUs being taken. Penalties no longer stack, so it would be a wise thing to do.
Toto wolf however indicated in germany they might not take 2 engines. Not sure if he meant 1 or 3 in that case. 1 wouldn't really make a lot of sense imo.

I somehow have a feeling if Hamilton would take more engines than realistically required, it wouldn't be deemed a "fair level playing field" vs Rosberg. So they might just stick to level it out to the point he is level with Rosbergs usage. If that makes sense.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Jolle
Jolle

Phil wrote:
Juzh wrote:

I somehow have a feeling if Hamilton would take more engines than realistically required, it wouldn't be deemed a "fair level playing field" vs Rosberg. So they might just stick to level it out to the point he is level with Rosbergs usage. If that makes sense.
You can only take new components when you ran out. He's only on max with the turbo and the "H", so the normal thing would be to take two of both an leave the rest like it is.

dans79

Phil wrote: I somehow have a feeling if Hamilton would take more engines than realistically required, it wouldn't be deemed a "fair level playing field" vs Rosberg. So they might just stick to level it out to the point he is level with Rosbergs usage. If that makes sense.
I fear this is what Totto means when he says he isn't sure when Lewis will take penalties and how many. Frankly I think it's idiotic to not take as many as you can possibly get, that way you know you shouldn't have to take more in the future. If I was Lewis, I'd even be offering to pay for the extra components if the teams doesn't want to foot the bill.
197 104 103 7

WaikeCU

To be honest taking the penalties in Spa and Monza is maybe the ideal plan to go for, but it comes with a risk. First corner of Spa and Monza are notorious for chaotic starts and if you are in the pack, then you are right in the middle of it. Fingers crossed there won't be any incidents.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

But what about any upgrades. If he takes his engine penalties in Spa with a new PU for that race and 1 in reserve what happens when Merc need to give him a better spec PU when they spend the last of their tokens? Then it'll be Rosberg with a new upgraded PU and not Hamilton.

Assumingf no token spend in the summer break - In Spa Ham would take a current spec PU and then another current spec PU. If Merc then spend tokens a few races later he can't swap one of those PU's from Spa for a new configuration. If they only develop the ICE or MGU-H/K etc then he could always take just that as a new component but that would also lead to another penalty later in the season too.

Likewise, they won't want to spend tokens for Spa and get Lewis 2 new PU's in there becasue well what if they go boom? Penalties for nothing and then we get the conspiracy thoeries again.

In short, wow...who know what they do and what's the best option. :?

Jolle
Jolle

KeiKo403 wrote:But what about any upgrades. If he takes his engine penalties in Spa with a new PU for that race and 1 in reserve what happens when Merc need to give him a better spec PU when they spend the last of their tokens? Then it'll be Rosberg with a new upgraded PU and not Hamilton.

Assumingf no token spend in the summer break - In Spa Ham would take a current spec PU and then another current spec PU. If Merc then spend tokens a few races later he can't swap one of those PU's from Spa for a new configuration. If they only develop the ICE or MGU-H/K etc then he could always take just that as a new component but that would also lead to another penalty later in the season too.

Likewise, they won't want to spend tokens for Spa and get Lewis 2 new PU's in there becasue well what if they go boom? Penalties for nothing and then we get the conspiracy thoeries again.

In short, wow...who know what they do and what's the best option. :?
Mercedes already said that their final update of the year will be in Spa, those things are planned months ahead. Plus he's "only" down on the turbo and MHGU-H, not the ICE or CE