2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Andres125sx

Re: 2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

Jolle wrote:
bhall II wrote:
motorsport.com, Aug 1, 2016 wrote:“You have two types of downforce [grip], I don't have to teach you,” [Arrivabene] said. “One is the aerodynamic downforce and the other is mechanical downforce [grip].

"We have to work in both areas because they have to talk together because sometimes they talk different languages at the moment.”
(Red brackets mine.)

Pinnacle of motorsport.
They have a wonderful unique system, with partner Shell, that with a full fuel tank, they have around nine hundred to a thousand extra Newtons of mechanical downforce.
Even when stationary!
Yes, but they´ve not managed to keep it constant and reliable, Marchione is trying to find the reason it decreases during the race! :mrgreen:

f1316

There's been a lot of talk recently - mainly from Totto Wolf - that Ferrari switched to 2017 early. Do we have any reason to believe this is true or just more Mercedes "oh we're very worried about our rivals" interest-mongering?

You would probably say that the on track developments point to yes; Ferrari have clearly brought fewer and less successful updates on the chassis side than their rivals since Spain and have clearly slipped back in the competitive order, so this would be indicative of a team who have switched focus away from the current car.

However, it could also be the classic 'out-developed' Ferrari scenario or a result of the backroom turmoil.

I'd suggest it's likely not simply being 'out-developed'; it's never been a lack of updates that have been Ferrari's problem - it's been them not working as expected. Right now they're really not bringing much, so it suggests funds going elsewhere. This would be encouraging because this season is clearly a forgone conclusion and who really cares if they or Red Bull come second?

Hopefully they had the sense to pull the trigger early.

Juzh

More good news:

http://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrar ... ci-806570/
Dirk da beer (the guy behind the 2012-13 lotuses?) replaced by someone called David Sanchez.

bhall II

f1316 wrote:There's been a lot of talk recently - mainly from Totto Wolf - that Ferrari switched to 2017 early. Do we have any reason to believe this is true or just more Mercedes "oh we're very worried about our rivals" interest-mongering?
Yeah, I think Allison pulled the plug on SF16-H pretty early. If you go back to the "crisis" meetings organized by Marchionne last month, the reported nature of them implies the existence of a fundamental flaw that can't be remedied by ordinary in-season development.
motorsport.com, July 15, 2016 wrote:Marchionne is determined to find out whether or not there is a belief from the shop floor that more potential can be extracted from the SF16-H, and if the true state of progress of the car is as he has been led to believe by senior management.
If that problem is what I think it is - inadequate structural design - then there was no reason to continue with the car beyond trying to understand it, especially given the new rules next season.
motorsport.com, Jun 11, 2016 wrote:...Ferrari sources insist that Allison is wholly committed to the Ferrari project and is fully focused on sorting out the 2017 car that the team hopes will allow it to regularly compete at the top.
At the very latest, Ferrari switched over at some point toward the end of last month...
https://twitter.com/gianludale27/status ... 1134687232

SR71

bhall II wrote:
f1316 wrote:There's been a lot of talk recently - mainly from Totto Wolf - that Ferrari switched to 2017 early. Do we have any reason to believe this is true or just more Mercedes "oh we're very worried about our rivals" interest-mongering?
Yeah, I think Allison pulled the plug on SF16-H pretty early. If you go back to the "crisis" meetings organized by Marchionne last month, the reported nature of them implies the existence of a fundamental flaw that can't be remedied by ordinary in-season development.
motorsport.com, July 15, 2016 wrote:Marchionne is determined to find out whether or not there is a belief from the shop floor that more potential can be extracted from the SF16-H, and if the true state of progress of the car is as he has been led to believe by senior management.
If that problem is what I think it is - inadequate structural design - then there was no reason to continue with the car beyond trying to understand it, especially given the new rules next season.
motorsport.com, Jun 11, 2016 wrote:...Ferrari sources insist that Allison is wholly committed to the Ferrari project and is fully focused on sorting out the 2017 car that the team hopes will allow it to regularly compete at the top.
At the very latest, Ferrari switched over at some point toward the end of last month...

https://twitter.com/gianludale27/status ... 1134687232
With Alison gone I guess we are back to the ugly Ferraris.

Can't wait to see the '17 turd with terrible livery graphics and cut lines between the red and black areas.

domh245

SR71 wrote:With Alison gone I guess we are back to the ugly Ferraris.

Can't wait to see the '17 turd with terrible livery graphics and cut lines between the red and black areas.
Yes, because the technical director is responsible for the paint scheme...

ME4ME

bhall II wrote:If that problem is what I think it is - inadequate structural design - then there was no reason to continue with the car beyond trying to understand it, especially given the new rules next season.
I think that makes a lot of sense. It would go some way in explaining Ferrari's ongoing struggle setting up the car, or rather covering an inherent deficiency.

My personal guess is that they had to shed a lot of weight from areas of the car which promote structural stiffness, in order to facilitate the double PU intercoolers and still getting the car to the mimimal weight limit. The majority of teams use air-air intercoolers for the particular reason or weight saving, with as far as I know only Mercedes and Ferrari going for a air-water solution. Ferrari might just have taken too much stiffness out of the car in order to gain that bit of additional PU output, and can't go back on that decision mid-season.

f1316

One thing I suppose we have to remember about car's performance since silverstone is that they had to add several kilos of weight for a strengthened ballistic shield after the test.

Given they were actually still pretty close to RB in Hungary - probably marginally quicker on race pace - it's easy to see how without this backwards step they would have finished the race with both cars in front.

Just something to remember in terms of weight.

SR71

domh245 wrote:
SR71 wrote:With Alison gone I guess we are back to the ugly Ferraris.

Yes, because the technical director is responsible for the paint scheme...
No even with James at the helm Ferrari Race team still managed to create some of the ugliest graphics on the grid. Not an hint of futurism or even comprehension of basic proportions. Only manor, Sauber, and haas managed something worse. Problem is Ferrari probably over paid some 'local' artist for such work.

Now I'm no fan of car designers taking the helm of a race cAr because they are two different things, but at least let those guys handle the livery. You'll be hard pressed to find someone better at applying graphics and part lines (even if fake) to a car then a qualified automotive industrial designer.

Judging from Ferraris production cars they have more than enough talent to really produce something special as far as an f1 livery goes.

But of course that won't happen (Renault did it and have the best on the grid from a contemporary standpoint) and with Alison gone I'm sure we're back to front ends designed to look like tractors.

domh245

My understanding of the setup at Ferrari is that the surface of the car is owned entirely by Phillip Morris International (Marlboro) who then sell patches of the car to advertisers. That might explain why Ferrari liveries tend to be quite nice in other series and on road cars, and less so in F1.

As an aside, I wonder just how many automotive designers there are vs automotive engineers in an F1 team. Given the performance orientated nature of an F1 team, I can't help but feel it's more engineers than designers

SR71

domh245 wrote:My understanding of the setup at Ferrari is that the surface of the car is owned entirely by Phillip Morris International (Marlboro) who then sell patches of the car to advertisers. That might explain why Ferrari liveries tend to be quite nice in other series and on road cars, and less so in F1.

As an aside, I wonder just how many automotive designers there are vs automotive engineers in an F1 team. Given the performance orientated nature of an F1 team, I can't help but feel it's more engineers than designers
Hopefully no automotive designers are employed by the race team. I can see them being consulted for a few bits that have little performance value but automotive designers are true artists and could have value doing liveries. Ferrari has more than its share of design talent and it's a shame the company doesn't come together wholistically to produce an item of beauty.

The Marlboro comment above probably has the most impact on the livery though.

I think the combination of Marlboro influence + Arrivabenne are damaging the team as much as anything.

Pollutants pollute.

Schuttelberg

domh245 wrote:My understanding of the setup at Ferrari is that the surface of the car is owned entirely by Phillip Morris International (Marlboro) who then sell patches of the car to advertisers. That might explain why Ferrari liveries tend to be quite nice in other series and on road cars, and less so in F1.

To be honest, Ferrari's have generally looked good over the years. I think there have been a few ugly front wings but the livery has been quite nice. This year is the only year I disliked the livery. Personally, the best livery was the 2007/2008 livery. I rather Ferrari Red with black than White.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Chuckjr

Wasn't the '16 car to be Allison's baby? This was the car that had his biggest mark from what I understood. What happened as he is considered by many one of the best in the field. Am I to understand his car has a fundamental flaw so bad the team dropped the project early in the season...did the doors at Maranello knock Allison's heels as he left?

Secondly, things have seemed to only worsen since they fired Luca and I cannot believe I'm saying this because I was not at all a fan of Luca, but maybe that was a bad call from the Ferrari brain trust? Things certainly have not improved despite having arguably one of the best engineers on the market (until recently).

Third, in my opinion they should swallow their pride, call Brawn, take it like men, and turn the racing empire over to him. Vettel may not be patient enough for that kind of overhaul to materialize...what, 3-4 years till top/near top of podium every race, but certainly Brawn could do it. I'd be a perfect transition for Verstappen in 3-4 years. Win a couple WDC's at Red Bull then transition to Ferrari right when brawn has them pulling into the sharp end.

Vet would probably try to replace Nico at Merc to try his hand with Hamilton. Which would be fun to see play out. Certainly better than our current situation...
Watching F1 since 1986.

Cold Fussion

Going to be a pretty to convince anyone that Ferrari have been going downhill since mid 2014.

bhall II

motorsport.com, Aug 27, 2017 wrote:Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne has further ramped up the pressure on his Formula 1 team to deliver results, claiming that anyone not delivering their best no longer has a future there.

Kimi Raikkonen and Sebastian Vettel have enjoyed a return to form at the Belgian Grand Prix after challenging for pole position at Spa-Francorchamps.

That promise – even though they ultimately missed out when both lost time at the final corner on their best laps – appears to indicate the outfit has turned the corner following a recent staffing reshuffle.

Marchionne, speaking at the LUISS University in Rome following qualifying, welcomed the improvement, but was clear that more was needed.

"The second row of the Belgian Grand Prix is not bad, after seeing the mistakes of Raikkonen and Vettel," declared Marchionne.

Reflecting on the new technical structure following the departure of James Allison, Marchionne said: "The impact of the changes that we have made at the team is beginning to be felt.

"But anyone who doesn't bring results should leave. That is a rule that applies to everyone – even me."

He added: "We have an obligation to achieve the goals we have set ourselves."
I wonder what he'll say when Ferrari inevitably drops back again at the next high-downforce circuit. He can't seriously think that anything done over the summer has somehow breathed new life into this season's campaign.

Or is he really that naive?

This man does not appear to have the appropriate temperament for F1.