2016 Williams Martini Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Fulcrum

Re: 2016 Williams Martini Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

Considering the nature of the fight Williams are having with Force India - literally every point counts - I found it interesting they allowed Bottas to pass Massa.

While Massa was in front of Bottas, Bottas received the tow of Massa, safely evading Raikkonen. Bottas himself provided a buffer from Raikkonen for Massa. Literally the lap after Bottas passed Massa, Massa was a sitting duck for Raikkonen as he had no tow from Bottas.

Keeping the drivers in their original positions would have given the team an opportunity to score 6 points instead of 5, as Raikkonen had sat behind Bottas for 7 laps with no evidence suggesting he could pass if both cars had DRS.

At the very least, I am surprised Williams didn't instruct Bottas to remain within DRS range of Massa.

Also, will Bottas score more points than his race number this year?

Martin_F

Maybe they were thinking Bottas can catch Alonso. But then they should have let him pass earlier.

What I didn't understand is why they waited two laps under the safety car to pit Bottas. He wen't from 4th to 12th because of that. The most places dropped of anybody during the safety car period.

efuloni

And why did they pit Massa at lap 3???

If he had stayed, he would be in a great position. He was P4 by the time, right?

bill shoe

The Williams race recap (a few posts ago) pretty much says they got screwed by the yellow/red flag for Kevin Magnussen on lap 6.

Not sure why they pitted Massa so soon, but all other cars essentially got to "cover" the Massa strategy by stopping under the unexpected yellow on lap 6. Massa was screwed to the back of the line.

Then Williams correctly predicted a red flag for the Magnussen crash, but they incorrectly predicted it would occur immediately. Thus they left Bottas out waiting for the red flag while the FIA dithered under yellow. All other cars nailed a nearly-free yellow stop before Bottas finally came in, and was screwed to the back of the queue.

I'm glad Magnussen was OK, but as a Williams fan that Magnussen crash was tough for me, and to make matters worse I had picked Magnussen in my office pool (have to pick every driver once) #-o

LookBackTime

F1 - Bottas inks new two-year Williams deal - reports

30 August 2016 - 11h04, by GMM
Valtteri Bottas looks to have secured his future with Williams.

The Finn has been tentatively linked with a move to Renault, but the German-language Auto Bild as well as Speed Week report that a deal has been done on a new two-year Williams deal.

The timing of the reports is interesting, amid rumours Bottas had an option in his current deal that would need to have been taken up by Williams by the end of August.

However, sources indicate that Felipe Massa’s deal is less likely to be renewed, with McLaren driver Jenson Button strongly linked with a return to Grove.

"I think as we have said very clearly we are very happy with the job Felipe and Valtteri have done for us," said team deputy Claire Williams.

"I know everybody is waiting for our announcement now that lots of other teams have made theirs, but we are not ready to announce our lineup for 2017 yet.

"We are working through all our options but I hope we will be able to make that announcement shortly," she added.

Mr Brooksy

Didn't Ted Kravits say that the feeling in the paddock suggests Button was not as interested as we had been led to believe?

This sharp drop in form will not be helping Williams attract a WDC. And to lose out to Force India for 4th could be nail in the last few years push forward.
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

SchuMassa

efuloni wrote:And why did they pit Massa at lap 3???

If he had stayed, he would be in a great position. He was P4 by the time, right?
I have to defend this move. Massa was pited due to the Virtual Safety Car (caused by Sainz if I remember correctly), so he lost less time with that early stop than normally.

edu2703

Mr Brooksy wrote:Didn't Ted Kravits say that the feeling in the paddock suggests Button was not as interested as we had been led to believe?
Ted Kravitz also said Felipe Nasr is in a contention for a seat at Williams.

He has a good relationship with the team and his sponsors make him to be a very good option for Williams in my opinion.

Sevach

Williams still has some form of contract with Nasr, that has been mentioned many times in the Brazilian press.

He packs an estimated 20 million dollars from Banco do Brasil and if he is the one to replace Massa, Petrobras will surely stay on.

Perez was my favorite option but with Force India consistently beating Williams i don't think he's gonna be eager on the move, he might end up at Renault, try to build something there.

LookBackTime

Felipe Nasr is the only "realistic" option left for Williams (he brings money and he is good enough driver) :)

Stroll does not have enough experience to get a F1 drive.

LookBackTime

Press conference with Felipe Massa and Claire Williams at 13:45 local time. What could it be about? New deal? Retirement? #F1

SchuMassa

LookBackTime wrote:Press conference with Felipe Massa and Claire Williams at 13:45 local time. What could it be about? New deal? Retirement? #F1
I'd be surprised if he didn't announce his retirement. :( Let's wait and see.

Sevach

LookBackTime wrote:Felipe Nasr is the only "realistic" option left for Williams (he brings money and he is good enough driver) :)

Stroll does not have enough experience to get a F1 drive.
Put Nasr in a 1+1 contract, and letting Stroll do some testing seems like decent choice.

LookBackTime

WILLIAMS RACING ‏@WilliamsRacing
Sunny day means a busy media session with @ValtteriBottas on the #TerrazzaMartini ☀️