2016 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang, 30th-2nd October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SectorOne

Re: 2016 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang, 30th-2nd October

First i wanna say what an insane lap by Hamilton last year, it was pretty ridiculous how he banged in that lap so early.
But i´m honestly more curious about having Malaysia at this point of the year as opposed to the more normal early season.

What are the main differences between the two dates roughly speaking?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Pierce89

SectorOne wrote:First i wanna say what an insane lap by Hamilton last year, it was pretty ridiculous how he banged in that lap so early.
But i´m honestly more curious about having Malaysia at this point of the year as opposed to the more normal early season.

I think they tried to move out of monsoon season or something along those lines.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Pierce89 wrote:
SectorOne wrote:But i´m honestly more curious about having Malaysia at this point of the year as opposed to the more normal early season.

I think they tried to move out of monsoon season or something along those lines.
That's what I thought too, but then I found this...

And Accuweather shows afternoon thunderstorms today, for example.

godlameroso

The rain is highly isolated, it's heavy but it passes quickly.
Saishū kōnā

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

godlameroso wrote:The rain is highly isolated, it's heavy but it passes quickly.
Thanks. How is that different though? Are the monsoons more widespread (i.e. guaranteed to hit the track) making rain for this event less likely?

GPR-A duplicate2

ChrisDanger wrote:
godlameroso wrote:The rain is highly isolated, it's heavy but it passes quickly.
Thanks. How is that different though? Are the monsoons more widespread (i.e. guaranteed to hit the track) making rain for this event less likely?
Malaysia, as a country is located in the middle of Tropical Rain Forests and on most days of the years, Rain is guaranteed. Having lived there for couple of years, I can tell you when it rains, it's intense.
As for GP itself, since the Bianchi incident, where the officials denied to start the Suzuka GP early, though it was getting darker and darker by the day, now the races can start early if it really demands. We have seen in Sepang also that, when it rains in the afternoon, it really gets darker and remains darker as it approaches the evening. Would it rain on Race day? Too early to predict, but it should be fun to have a WET race.

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

GPR-A wrote:
ChrisDanger wrote:
Malaysia, as a country is located in the middle of Tropical Rain Forests and on most days of the years, Rain is guaranteed. Having lived there for couple of years, I can tell you when it rains, it's intense.
As for GP itself, since the Bianchi incident, where the officials denied to start the Suzuka GP early, though it was getting darker and darker by the day, now the races can start early if it really demands. We have seen in Sepang also that, when it rains in the afternoon, it really gets darker and remains darker as it approaches the evening. Would it rain on Race day? Too early to predict, but it should be fun to have a WET race.
Okay. The queston though was what difference there is between the weather now and in March/April. The graphs I posted seemed to indicate the rainfall is very similar, although I just saw this:
Malaysia faces two monsoon winds seasons, the Southwest Monsoon from late May to September, and the Northeast Monsoon from October to March. The Northeast Monsoon brings in more rainfall compared to the Southwest Monsoon, originating in China and the north Pacific.
So monsoons all year round then! Hectic...

godlameroso

Localized heavy rains do wonders to keep cyclones away.
Saishū kōnā

Vasconia

Wich ruins the race because a red flag is guaranteed. Then 30 minutes waiting, and then ahother 15-20 minutes with the safety car... :|

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Well, regardless of what the weather might do, I always feel a modicum of joy on the Monday morning of a race week. The anticipation... :D

Schuttelberg

If there's something called a sun dance or an anti-rain dance, Rosberg should be on it!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Roman
Roman

Does anybody really believe we could have a malaysian rain shower without a red flag? It's not 2001 any more...

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Well, the weather's saying only 4mm, although that might not be very accurate.

iotar__

Schuttelberg wrote:If there's something called a sun dance or an anti-rain dance, Rosberg should be on it!
I hope it rains and he's quicker like in GB and USA 15.

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

I found this interesting. Information from Wikipedia.