2016 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 16-18 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Andres125sx

Re: 2016 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 16-18 September

Schuttelberg wrote:Hamilton reminds me of a tennis player who absolutely smashes his opponent in the first two sets and then when he can smell the cigar, he starts making unnecessary unforced errors, leading to a five setter.
Brilliant analogy mate! =D>

sosic2121

Phil wrote:Excellent post once again, Schuttelberg.

I didn't want to quote the entire post, so I'll just mark this bit here;
Schuttelberg wrote:I do agree with Phil that the Quali gap is a bit exaggerated. However, it's not just the W07' it's also down to him. I just feel that if Hamilton is switched on for the next six races, Rosberg will find it very difficult. Yet, if you ask someone like me who isn't so concerned who wins the title as much as Phil, if both Rosberg and Hamilton are 'switched on' the logical bet will always be Hamilton and this is no swipe or dig at Rosberg, it's a testament to Hamilton's talent. If Rosberg wins will he be a deserving WDC? If you beat Lewis Hamilton in the same team, even with some luck, you're something special!
I suppose Singapore is a track where any problem might be exaggerated. Braking is crucial in Singapore and many belief this is where Hamilton in the past has always been able to extract more and have an edge vs other drivers. The braking. This is perhaps the one area that hampered him most; in having to crucially manage the heat of the brakes and perhaps never quite getting the confidence over the duration of the weekend (the whole weekend was messy, just like Baku) it exaggerated the issue and the gap that we saw in the end.

Anyway, I pretty much agree that Hamilton can turn things around if he can recapture his form. My concern is that this may not be enough; You can perform at your absolute best for the entire weekend, much like he did in Monza, and then mess up the start and the race win is history. The starts may not be down entirely to luck, but I would suggest that once you move past the unpredictability of it, it will have a lot to do with confidence. And that confidence might just be lacking. For confidence, you need a certain amount of control and predictability... and this may just be something that will not happen given how much the clutch is dependent on temperature fluctuations and warm-up during the formation lap.

Who knows; Maybe it's solved now. Hamilton had a "reasonable" start, as did Rosberg in Singapore when we watch the top-3 (all except for Max), but then again, I think Singapore is probably less crucial as I think the straight is not all that long.

Anyway, good races coming up. Malaysia, Japan and CotA. 3 races Lewis usually goes well on. If he wants to win his 4th title, he will have to be sharp and faultless and walk away with 3 wins. The last 3 races are tricky; Historically, Brazil hasn't been his strongest of races, though the last two years have been quite close, especially 2014. Mexico is a bit of an unknown looking at last year and Abu Dhabi - well, it's known to be a Hamilton circuit, but Rosberg beat him to pole the last two years...

IMO - this WDC is going to be a close one.

Fun fact though; 6 race wins for either driver would yield a 42 point advantage/swing. Enough to dictate that either driver could still clinch the title before the last race. If Hamilton wins the next 5 races, he'll have at the very least a 26 point lead with 25 still open which would mean he is WDC. On the other hand, if Rosberg wins the next 4 races, he'll have a 37 point lead with 50 still up for grabs, but that would pretty much make him WDC unless he suffers two complete DNFs.
I'd like just to add something.
It seems this year in "normal" race it's the start that decides who will win, and at the moment Nico is better at it.
If I remember correctly, during 2014 starts were also crucial, but than it was a Lewis that was better starter.

Andres125sx

About the race itself, I´ll avoid any Lewis-Rosberg comment as I find it a bit boring, or that´s the result after reading uncountable pages about this on every single race topic :roll:

About the rest:

- Ricciardo keeps proving he´s WDC material

- I´m glad Kvyat had the chance to show some good defending, specially against his former car

- Ferrari keep ruining his own races. Another podium missed because of poor strategic decision. It´s a pitty because Kimi did deserve it

- Awesome race by Vettel, going from last to 5th in Singapore is impressive

- Great race by Alonso, or better I should say great start (as usual), and good managment from that point (as usual)

ChrisDanger

Andres125sx wrote:About the race itself, I´ll avoid any Lewis-Rosberg comment as I find it a bit boring, or that´s the result after reading uncountable pages about this on every single race topic :roll:
At least we didn't have any major incidents. Those usually produce 20 pages of arguments over who was at fault and effectively destroy the chance of any other discussion taking place. #-o

SectorOne

Chuckjr wrote:The contortions Lewis fans make to dismiss Nico's skill set is incredible. Consider this. Since F1 has been only a two horse championship since the new engine regs, the more Nico’s skill set is repeatedly degraded, the less of an accomplishment it becomes if Lewis beats him, and the greater embarrassment for Lewis if he loses.
This.

I read a while back about how Rosberg was mentally out of it etc but honestly anyone who objectively have watched the two will say that Rosberg is one of the most mentally strong people on the grid.
He´s been beaten three times by Hamilton (two championships) and he just keeps going.

I don´t understand how you can not respect that.
It´s extremely easy to say that if Hamilton wins again, Rosberg is weak and that if Rosberg wins Hamilton has lost it when probably in reality you have two extremely competitive people sharing the same car just like they have done since the good ol days of karting.

It´s not every day you get to see two equally matched drivers going toe to toe in a Formula 1 world championship and yet people still find a way to sh*t all over it.
Yes we all like to see the top teams in near equal machinery going at it but this is the best we got so far.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Gettingonabit

SectorOne wrote:
Chuckjr wrote:The contortions Lewis fans make to dismiss Nico's skill set is incredible. Consider this. Since F1 has been only a two horse championship since the new engine regs, the more Nico’s skill set is repeatedly degraded, the less of an accomplishment it becomes if Lewis beats him, and the greater embarrassment for Lewis if he loses.
This.

I read a while back about how Rosberg was mentally out of it etc but honestly anyone who objectively have watched the two will say that Rosberg is one of the most mentally strong people on the grid.
He´s been beaten three times by Hamilton (two championships) and he just keeps going.

It´s extremely easy to say that if Hamilton wins again, Rosberg is weak and that if Rosberg wins Hamilton has lost it when probably in reality you have two extremely competitive people sharing the same car just like they have done since the good ol days of karting.

It´s not every day you get to see two equally matched drivers going toe to toe in a Formula 1 world championship and yet people still find a way to sh*t all over it.
Yes we all like to see the top teams in near equal machinery going at it but this is the best we got so far.
=D>

Manoah2u

I can't agree there with you on 'mentally strong' people on the grid in the case of Nico.
Nico has shown he is very very prone to have a bad mood and temper when he doesnt get what he wants; read the win.
His obvious Schumacher-esque dirty moves (steering in) show he isn't that mentally strong. Webber was beaten by Vettel 3 times too,
and kept going too. There were actually similar incidents or behaviour between VET-WEB and ROS-HAM imho.

Don't get me wrong though, Hamilton isn't mentally that strong either, though i feel he's probably stronger mentally but emotionally faster
compromised.

Something i have noticed in Nico for several seasons now is that he tends to have strong starts and ends in a season, and weak middle parts,
whereas Lewis seems to be the opposite of that. Nico was very strong last year at the end of the season, despite pressure.

I haven't seen him under 'pressure' in recent races, so we'll have to see some pressure build up to see how this season will finish out.
I'm not ruling out Nico being WDC, but i still think Lewis will snatch it in the end.

Likewise you can't just cover up the fact that Lewis has had tremendeous technical problems throughout the year, something Nico has NOT suffered
from. Theoretically, Nico should be getting his portion of tech problems now, and lewis would have the benefit of fresh engines to his disposal. Something
tells me Nico is not gonna suffer this for whatever reason.

Personally, i would rather see Raikkonen, Vettel or Alonso vs Hamilton.

Rosberg has done his job and held his ground but to be honest, when the pressure really gets on, i only see him crumble, especially when there is rain or changing
conditions (rain), and become frustrated, and have excuses in interviews and when he wins (without any pressure) he is all how he done great himself.

During qually, they're very very very competitive and close to eachother. If Lewis was 'that' good, he should destroy Nico atleast in qually alone - but he doesnt.

I do believe that if Nico manages to get this title, he earned it well - he will however still get critisized and it will be mentioned by the 'opposition' that he won with
dirty moves, with technical benefit vs teammate tech problems, radio help [though he got penalised 2nd time for that], and that lewis wasn't focused as good as he
was busy with 'lifestyle' over titles. it's a bit unfair for him , as i think no matter what nico does, he will get bad critisism for it.

I want to see some more races where Nico and Lewis battle it out for P1 for several laps, without team orders, without different strategies, without fuel saving.

If Nico passes Lewis without steering in on him OR without 'understeering' into him, applaud to that.
Vise versa too. I want to see battles through several corners, overtake in corner, then inside line back the position, next corner overtake, then better drive and re-take
the position. burn those tires to smithereens, show some real man action. Let dannyric, max or seb come close.
As soon as they make a pitstop and change their tires, they can take off and go past the competition like they dont even excist.

Merc is tactically playing it safe for the drivers. I think we will not be given a chance to see full action until when the WCC has been hauled in. Please, let them go at it
after that no boundaries.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Chuckjr

SectorOne wrote:
This.

Actually it is every race you see two nearly identical in talent drivers competing for the championship in similar cars--every teammate on the grid is in this position.

What am I not respecting? The comment was my observance of the situation, not an opinion of Ros or Ham.

Nobody can shi# more on this situation. I've said before and I'll say again, when you only have to beat one person for 3 years, IMO, it's not saying a lot when you win. In my view it isn't by logic.
Imagine if in football only two teams could compete and all the others had zero chance without some kind of act of god or stupid event. You'd hardly call it a sport. Furthermore winning by acts of god and stupidity are not wins on merit anyway, and everyone would know this, and say it, and dismiss the win. It happens here almost weekly.

Yes this is the situation but let's not sugarcoat it and make these guys some kind of hero's for beating a single competitor. They are not by any stretch. Yea great job and all, but what have you really shown anyone? Not much.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Fifty

I think Hamilton is consistently the better "one lap wonder" which is why he is slightly better at getting pole.

But one the race starts I think they have different strengths and weakness that in essence equal them out.

Who the better driver that day simply comes down to who got to turn one first and therefore gets the better merc strategy.

Once your out front 90% of your race is just cruising and 8% working through traffic and 2% defending.

Whilst 2nd place is defending against 3rd, whilst watching the leader slide away and then he also then eventually has the same traffic as first.

So to me Hamilton was the advantage as being a slightly better qualifier, but as for being a better driver when the lights go out? Some parts yes, some parts no.

Nicos problem is his persona. I don't like Hamiltons either, but whereas Hamilton comes across as a spoiled brat temper tantrum throwing "it's someone else's fault" type, Nico is the same way but then puts on a fake persona of "I'm the cool team player victim guy" and does a horrible job doing it.
I'm a kimi, Vettel, button fan btw.
(I used to hate Vettel when he drove with Webber)

FoxHound

Chuckjr wrote:
SectorOne wrote:
This. .

Actually it is every race you see two nearly identical in talent drivers competing for the championship in similar cars--every teammate on the grid is in this position.

What am I not respecting? The comment was my observance of the situation, not an opinion of Ros or Ham.
I think SectorOne was agreeing with you there.

But my extension of this, is that at least we see a contest. We may not like the situation at large, with Mercedes having no challenger. But at least we see them allowed to go toe to toe.
In times of dominance, the last time we saw that was with McLaren and Prost/Senna in the 80s. Since then, Williams with Mansell then later Prost, McLaren with Hakkinen, Ferrari with Schumacher, and then Red bull with Vettel, have all stifled in house competition.
JET set

strad

Good points Chuck
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

SectorOne

FoxHound wrote:I think SectorOne was agreeing with you there.
I was yes but it seemed to have flown right over his head.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Andres125sx

FoxHound wrote:
Chuckjr wrote:
SectorOne wrote: This. .

I think SectorOne was agreeing with you there.

But my extension of this, is that at least we see a contest. We may not like the situation at large, with Mercedes having no challenger. But at least we see them allowed to go toe to toe.
In times of dominance, the last time we saw that was with McLaren and Prost/Senna in the 80s. Since then, Williams with Mansell then later Prost, McLaren with Hakkinen, Ferrari with Schumacher, and then Red bull with Vettel, have all stifled in house competition.
Don´t forget McLaren with Lewis in 2007 :twisted:

WilliamDum

2016 Singapore Grand Prix Marina Bay 16 18 September

I thought its Singapore GP?

I just checked it and you wrote a lot of things. Will try to read it later.

Hope you enjoyed it

Moose

Andres125sx wrote:Don´t forget McLaren with Lewis in 2007 :twisted:
Yeh, that's a great example of a team letting their team mates go toe to toe, and a great example of what can go wrong if you don't manage it really really well. I guess the Senna Prost example illustrates that too.